Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Princeton, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Princeton Supercharger is great news :) I've been postponing a highway 3 trip from Lethbridge, AB to the Okanagan until Fernie, Creston, Castlegar, Grand Forks, and Osoyoos are installed. Does anyone have an update on the rest of the highway 3 Superchargers?

I couldn’t get above 35kw on a petro Canada system and maxed out at a disappointing 30 kW on a BChydro Greenlots 50kW charger.

I don't Chademo often but I've never gotten more than ~40kW in the states. I'm afraid the 50kW advertised charge rate might be a little optimistic.

50kW CHAdeMO stations are generally 125A units.

At lower states of charge, the 125A is the limiting factor. For example, at 320V and 125A, you'd only be pulling 40kW. On AWD, 7kW is then taken for heating the battery. Perhaps about 1kW for other functions (computers, pumps, etc.). You're left with something like 32kW!

At higher states of charge, you run into the limitations we usually see with Superchargers - the car starts being the limit on charge rate, not the station.

The middle (say, 50%) to middle-high (80% or so) portion of the battery charges fastest on CHAdeMO.

Princeton Supercharger is great news :) I've been postponing a highway 3 trip from Lethbridge, AB to the Okanagan until Fernie, Creston, Castlegar, Grand Forks, and Osoyoos are installed. Does anyone have an update on the rest of the highway 3 Superchargers?

Someone in the Osoyoos thread mentioned Castlegar is probably next. That still leave a ~485km gap to/from the Fort McLeod Supercharger.

Reactions: Eco-Logical

At lower states of charge, the 125A is the limiting factor. For example, at 320V and 125A, you'd only be pulling 40kW. On AWD, 7kW is then taken for heating the battery. Perhaps about 1kW for other functions (computers, pumps, etc.). You're left with something like 32kW!

At higher states of charge, you run into the limitations we usually see with Superchargers - the car starts being the limit on charge rate, not the station.

The middle (say, 50%) to middle-high (80% or so) portion of the battery charges fastest on CHAdeMO.

Someone in the Osoyoos thread mentioned Castlegar is probably next. That still leave a ~485km gap to/from the Fort McLeod Supercharger.

Thanks, if necessary I could get to Castlegar in my LR Model 3, but I hope Creston and Fernie aren't too far behind.

This afternoon it looks like 7 of the 8 chargers are up.

Attachments

• IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    751.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2754.JPG
    IMG_2754.JPG
    839.2 KB · Views: 87
I was there in August and charged at the chademo charger. I did not notice the construction of the superchargers. The supercharger location is across from the chademo charger inbetween a driving path between a mall and a bank building. Will be easy to find as you will be able to see the superchargers from highway 3. This is awesome will make going to Osoyoos a lot easier and go there more often in the summer months.

I’ve definitely run into this situation before and read up lots on it. They were working on one of the 2 petro Canada units while I was there, so I suspect something was up. And the BC charger, I was in the sweet spot, and definitely didn’t get anywhere near what I’ve gotten before.

I used one last year and maxed out at 45kW and was hoping to see something like that this time. No dice though.

I’ll try again sometime. See if there’s a difference.

Otherwise, at the rate the Superchargers are popping up, I have no concerns. Other then when I drive with a roof box.

I went through Princeton super late on Thursday and I couldn't find the Supercharger location by just gazing from Hwy 3. (To be honest I wasn't dying to see it since I had a tight charge to make it to Greenwood.)

I drove by what I believe to be the location in Osoyoos and there was no sign of activity.

Osoyoos would be a life-changer for us.

As I thought, Osoyoos has probably been delayed to next year. If everything is done in Princeton and nothing starts in Castlegar until the end of the week, it could mean they’ve started work on Kelowna

I went through Princeton super late on Thursday and I couldn't find the Supercharger location by just gazing from Hwy 3. (To be honest I wasn't dying to see it since I had a tight charge to make it to Greenwood.)

I drove by what I believe to be the location in Osoyoos and there was no sign of activity.

Osoyoos would be a life-changer for us.

I lived in Osoyoos all summer because of Covid and that lot where the superchargers were planned is still an unpaved parking lot for overflow. Spoke to someone who said they're on council and they told me that it was planned but no one is quite sure what is going on now. The Flo charger at Petro-Canada is currently the only fast charge option and it appears that they have wired it for a second unit and paved/ lined the space in front of it. I was very excited about it when it was announced but Osoyoos is the epitome of resisting any change possible. Be happy there is a Boston Pizza lmao.

Hmmm, maybe. Nakusp is the other location in the region that's showing permit status on supercharge.info (no permit showing for Vernon or Sicamous)...
Unless someone reports a permit to the admin team, it won't show up. Last year many of the SK SC's were only discovered during construction stage. I suspect many remote BC site will follow the pattern. Unless someone local is actively looking for this stuff, it can go unnoticed. I wouldn't be surprised, if a bunch of sites pops up as under construction. :)