Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked the the attendant on the way out.

So I drove in before 6 (17:44) and left at 6:07. That’s when the fee structure changes from $5 to $8, so it hits you with both charges

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 152
So sorry about your car.

I think if I was a regular user of this Supercharger I would do three things:
1. Use the last open slot on the left side.
2. Back as far as possible to give the most room in front of the car.
3. Build a device to protect the front of my car.

I was thinking of something that I can roll up for storage, then unroll and attach to the front, kind of like a protective blanket. It would have two walls, the inside against the car would be soft with foam padding. The outside layer would have some sort of "crumple zone" but the outside would be highly reflective, with something like 4 inch nails sticking out. If anyone got too close the nails would warn them they are too close as the side of their car or truck was scratched. It would have to be tall enough that any side mirrors would get the warning first. I may even have flashing warning lights on it.

Since only the right front would be exposed when parked on the left side, or the left front exposed when parked on the right, this device would not have to be too long, maybe 4 feet tall, and maybe 2 feet across. Maybe 4 inches of crumple zone, plus the 4 inch nails, would only take up about 8 inches of space so it would be the same as stopping 8 inches from the very back of the parking stall.

Now that I am thinking about it, I could see the outside being two pieces of 1/4" plywood with heavy cloth or old carpet as the hinge. This way you could pound the nails, or even deck screws, from the inside out. It could all be spray painted with some bright reflective paint as warning, with small, battery operated flashing lights that could be switched on when charging to give further warning to cars passing by.

Maybe a couple of these could be built and left at the Supercharger, one for the first car on each side to use. Maybe we do not have to attached them to the car, but drill a mounting hole in the concrete floor at the proper distance from where the car should be, then just attached it to the floor when you set it up after parking. That sounds better so when it is hit it will not push against the car.

any thoughts????

Hi,

Can anyone answer the following questions?

1. Do they offer validation at this parking structure?

2. Lets say you parked for 30 min went up to second floor and paid 4$ and got the stamped ticket. How long is the grace period to get out of garage after that? I mean 10 , 15,20, 25 or 30 min?

Thanks

Hi,

Can anyone answer the following questions?

1. Do they offer validation at this parking structure?

2. Lets say you parked for 30 min went up to second floor and paid 4$ and got the stamped ticket. How long is the grace period to get out of garage after that? I mean 10 , 15,20, 25 or 30 min?

Thanks
I just charged here for the first time today. I asked the parking attendant if there is any validation for parking, from him or any of the nearby restaurants or coffee shops. His answer was no, Teslas that are there to charge have to pay for parking.

My arrival state of charge was 22%. When I reached 79% (54 minutes) I went to the second floor and paid for parking. I got back to my car, disconnected (81%) and drove out under the 1 hour. Since I'm at the mercy of the supercharger system while I'm in San Diego, I'll be using this charger again and ask about he grace period after paying at the machine on the second floor. I'll be sure to post what I find out.

I had read this thread from start to finish and was slightly spooked from postings about how little room there is to park and for cars driving between the cars charging. I didn't find it to be that bad. Parking was fine; trust your sensors, use the backup camera and backup as much as you're able. I was able to fit my S between the 2 chargers on either side of the parking spot with room to spare.

Reactions: Graffi and mociaf9
Thank you @Tangopop it was an informative post. How much do they now charge for the first hour of charging? Do they still allow the first 15 minutes grace period without paying?

If they have a sign for their charging structure can someone please take a photo and post?

Thanks much.
The rate is $2/15 minutes and is charged by the minute. I took this to mean that 45 minutes will cost $6 and 46 minutes thru 60 minutes will cost $8.

The next time I'm in the area I'll take a pic of the posted rates and if there's an attendant handy I'll find out about grace periods - both when you pull in and how much time you have to pay and leave.

• Informative
Reactions: Graffi
I talked to the attendant at the A street parking lot about grace period. He believes that after you pay at the machine on the 2nd floor you have 15 minutes to get your car out of the parkade. He didn't seem positive about that his answer and I didn't feel confident in his answer so buyer beware.

As far as a grace period from when you enter the parking garage, I don't think there is one. I didn't ask the attendant about that because they have a sign as you enter that says: "No grace period". Pic below

IMG_1525.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Graffi
I would assume it is still 15 minutes as that's what it was earlier in this thread when someone tested it out. I think it's unwise to ask about the grace period. If they feel you are purposefully waiting 14 minutes before exiting, they may reduce the grace period to 5 minutes or something. The fact that they mention "no grace period" on the sign is not a good sign :) But obviously there has to be some amount of time allotted to allow people to exit the parkade.

I would assume it is still 15 minutes as that's what it was earlier in this thread when someone tested it out. I think it's unwise to ask about the grace period. If they feel you are purposefully waiting 14 minutes before exiting, they may reduce the grace period to 5 minutes or something. The fact that they mention "no grace period" on the sign is not a good sign :) But obviously there has to be some amount of time allotted to allow people to exit the parkade.
There is absolutely ‘zero’ grace period.

If you enter the garage you will be charged.

You can thank the TESLA Uber drivers for literally charging for 10 min and then circling the block and charging again.

When people don’t play fair we all lose.

Reactions: David99 and logan
There is absolutely ‘zero’ grace period.

If you enter the garage you will be charged.

You can thank the TESLA Uber drivers for literally charging for 10 min and then circling the block and charging again.

When people don’t play fair we all lose.
You're talking about the grace period on the way in. I was talking about the way out. Of course there is a grace period on the way out. You can't pay for your parking ticket at the machine and then instantaneously teleport yourself and your Tesla outside of the parkade. At least not yet. I hear it might be coming with v10.

Reactions: David99
You're talking about the grace period on the way in. I was talking about the way out. Of course there is a grace period on the way out. You can't pay for your parking ticket at the machine and then instantaneously teleport yourself and your Tesla outside of the parkade. At least not yet. I hear it might be coming with v10.

Ah got it. Grace period used to be 15min from time you insert card into pay machine. I’m not sure if this has changed.