Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved from a north county house to a downtown apartment. As you can guess my house had a charger and the downtown building is powerless. What a nightmare! I almost consider selling my Model X and go back to a regular SUV. The Qualcomm SC is a nightmare and I just work 1 block away. I wish the Tesla app would indicate how many stalls are available just like the on board GPS does. How is Tesla going to deal with the Model 3 being delivered everyday to a crowd that is most likely going to be an urban clientele? 12 stalls in downtown SD won't be enough. Elon is shooting himself in the foot. Unlike some of the posts I read I wouldn't mind paying to be able to charge my car in an efficient matter. I can't even understand why SDG&E is not working a deal with Tesla to get charger installed all over the place. Until then I thank you all for keeping us informed about a downtown SC and can't wait its opening.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I moved from a north county house to a downtown apartment. As you can guess my house had a charger and the downtown building is powerless. What a nightmare! I almost consider selling my Model X and go back to a regular SUV. The Qualcomm SC is a nightmare and I just work 1 block away. I wish the Tesla app would indicate how many stalls are available just like the on board GPS does. How is Tesla going to deal with the Model 3 being delivered everyday to a crowd that is most likely going to be an urban clientele? 12 stalls in downtown SD won't be enough. Elon is shooting himself in the foot. Unlike some of the posts I read I wouldn't mind paying to be able to charge my car in an efficient matter. I can't even understand why SDG&E is not working a deal with Tesla to get charger installed all over the place. Until then I thank you all for keeping us informed about a downtown SC and can't wait its opening.

Other folks are installing their own charger in their apartment/Condo. It's going to be complicated and you'll have to pay $$.. Talk to HOA etc..

anyway, maybe I'll see you around in the DT supercharger when it is built. Going to put my name on the parking waitlist...

Really? They have to let you by law? I have talked to the HOA for the past 6 months, they gave me a story that a SDG&E inspector should come...blah...blah...Anyone knows a company that could install a charger downtown? I am not renting, I own my apartment and my garage spots are part of the deed. I am definitely curious...

Really? They have to let you by law? I have talked to the HOA for the past 6 months, they gave me a story that a SDG&E inspector should come...blah...blah...Anyone knows a company that could install a charger downtown? I am not renting, I own my apartment and my garage spots are part of the deed. I am definitely curious...
Hire your own contractor to make an estimate and put together a proposal to present to the board. Waiting for them to do something is inviting endless delays. The most you should have to ask for is access to the building's electrical infrastructure for quoting purposes.

I stopped in at noon on Friday, May 11th to check out the progress. Lines are painted and marked, signs are up and chargers look ready to go. All contractors except for one electrician have left the location. It appears the owners are installing a couple of non-tesla chargers to accommodate more than just Tesla, but I couldn't be sure. Im guessing ribbon cutting could come as early as next week! (he says with fingers crossed)

I'm hoping that the Del Mar location will be up and running per Tesla's plans before I visit our timeshare in Solana Beach in January. Waiting on VIN so should have the car by then and look forward to driving it there but the Qualcomm SC sounds like a nightmare for those of us just visiting the area without destination charging.

I'm hoping that the Del Mar location will be up and running per Tesla's plans before I visit our timeshare in Solana Beach in January. Waiting on VIN so should have the car by then and look forward to driving it there but the Qualcomm SC sounds like a nightmare for those of us just visiting the area without destination charging.

Unless you show up during the absolute busiest times it's not too bad

I've probably been there 10 times in the last 2 years and had to wait twice. And then it was only 10 minutes or so. Late evening is pretty quiet in my experience. I tend to avoid weekend afternoon as that seems ot be when some people do their big weekly charge.

You could also just take advantage of public L2 while you're here and make sure you have enough to make it to San Clemente on your way out of town.

• Helpful

Buy a Chademo adapter and use that. I’ve had good luck with Chademo in the San Diego region.

Hi LamboGuy,
I work for the local utility in the Clean Transportation group. There are a few steps you need to do to get charging in your parking space in a multi-unit dwelling. I'm happy to answer questions or help out.

* Get approval of your condo HOA/Property Manager for you to install a charger in your space that will be paid for on your electric bill (not the HOA power, that seems to be a common misunderstanding). Once they realize that you're paying for everything, sometimes that makes a difference. If you need to refer to Senate Bill 880 that allows you to install a charging station as long you meet certain requirements, that might be helpful. You can't move past this step until you get approval.
* Have the SDG&E Planner visit the site for a meeting. I can help hook you up with the right Planner. It would help during this step if your contractor/electrician is present, otherwise the opportunity to ask questions to the Planner on-site is lost and playing catch-up later just takes more time.
* At the time of the visit, the Planner will outline the process. He/she will be looking for specific materials later from you and your contractor. This is where most people stop, but it really isn't difficult if you approach the requirements methodically with your contractor.
* For this example, say that the building has a 4,000 amp electrical service. Your contractor will need to figure out what the maximum load is on the building for a period of time (with a clamp-on recording meter, for example). The purpose of this is to determine whether your building has the necessary capacity to install the charging station or if the service is near capacity or overloaded.
* You'll need to decide what size of service you want to add for the charging station (40 amps, 100 amps, etc.)
* During the site visit, the Planner will be looking for a location that you can install a new meter since most likely it will be difficult to connect to your existing meter. The new meter will be in your name and can be on one of the EV rates.
* Here's the important part. After measuring the building actual load over time, the contractor/engineer will need to get the as-built drawings for the building and add in your load for the new charging station, resulting in an updated one-line electrical diagram for the building. You would submit this to the Planner so they can write a "Service Order" for the job.
* The Service Order is then used to get a permit from the City, and then your electrician/contractor can begin work installing your station.

In advance of doing this, you may want to have an electrician/contractor come out and check things out to see how far the run will be from the electrical room to your space, whether concrete has to be core-drilled, etc. I've seen easy jobs and I've seen really complex and expensive jobs, so it just depends. I had one customer trade/sell their deeded parking spot with another resident that was closer to the electric room so that the electrical run was easier. They recorded the deeds and the whole nine yards...

Anyways, that's the gist of the process...I hope it helps....

Oh, and yes, the utility is working to install new electrical services for certain types of public charging stations. :)

It takes time to find willing site hosts and to design and construct the sites, but they are coming...

Last edited:
Incredibly informative and helpful post by @RandyS on how to get home charging installed in a parking space in a multi-unit dwelling. I think this should be a pinned topic in the California forum since it comes up constantly.

Randy, I sent you a PM asking if you could post the same content in a new thread in the California forum and then I will pin it.

Buy a Chademo adapter and use that. I’ve had good luck with Chademo in the San Diego region.
I'm buying a Model 3 and as far as I know a Chademo adapter isn't available that works with it yet plus the prices I've heard from some about the excessive rates being charged at even some of the L2 chargers that aren't Tesla will be a deal breaker unless it's an emergency charge needed situation.

Thanks Randy, Great info and sounds VERY EXPENSIVE.

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch, I wanted to make another visit to this Supercharger site yesterday afternoon to view progress, but my wife had a different idea, after all, it was Mother's Day. I am just glad that there are a few of us who are reporting on this progress.

I do not think Tesla will be making a big deal about it when it does go LIVE, but we can. Complete with a Big Group of us to fill up all the charging spots and having a Ribbon Cutting and everything.

Hi LamboGuy,
I work for the local utility in the Clean Transportation group. There are a few steps you need to do to get charging in your parking space in a multi-unit dwelling. I'm happy to answer questions or help out.

* Get approval of your condo HOA/Property Manager for you to install a charger in your space that will be paid for on your electric bill (not the HOA power, that seems to be a common misunderstanding). Once they realize that you're paying for everything, sometimes that makes a difference. If you need to refer to Senate Bill 880 that allows you to install a charging station as long you meet certain requirements, that might be helpful. You can't move past this step until you get approval.
* Have the SDG&E Planner visit the site for a meeting. I can help hook you up with the right Planner. It would help during this step if your contractor/electrician is present, otherwise the opportunity to ask questions to the Planner on-site is lost and playing catch-up later just takes more time.
* At the time of the visit, the Planner will outline the process. He/she will be looking for specific materials later from you and your contractor. This is where most people stop, but it really isn't difficult if you approach the requirements methodically with your contractor.
* For this example, say that the building has a 4,000 amp electrical service. Your contractor will need to figure out what the maximum load is on the building for a period of time (with a clamp-on recording meter, for example). The purpose of this is to determine whether your building has the necessary capacity to install the charging station or if the service is near capacity or overloaded.
* You'll need to decide what size of service you want to add for the charging station (40 amps, 100 amps, etc.)
* During the site visit, the Planner will be looking for a location that you can install a new meter since most likely it will be difficult to connect to your existing meter. The new meter will be in your name and can be on one of the EV rates.
* Here's the important part. After measuring the building actual load over time, the contractor/engineer will need to get the as-built drawings for the building and add in your load for the new charging station, resulting in an updated one-line electrical diagram for the building. You would submit this to the Planner so they can write a "Service Order" for the job.
* The Service Order is then used to get a permit from the City, and then your electrician/contractor can begin work installing your station.

In advance of doing this, you may want to have an electrician/contractor come out and check things out to see how far the run will be from the electrical room to your space, whether concrete has to be core-drilled, etc. I've seen easy jobs and I've seen really complex and expensive jobs, so it just depends. I had one customer trade/sell their deeded parking spot with another resident that was closer to the electric room so that the electrical run was easier. They recorded the deeds and the whole nine yards...

Anyways, that's the gist of the process...I hope it helps....

Oh, and yes, the utility is working to install new electrical services for certain types of public charging stations. :)

It takes time to find willing site hosts and to design and construct the sites, but they are coming...
Thank you so much for this very useful information. I sincerely appreciate.

I paid a visit today. Looks like they’re good to go. Waiting for Finalizing from Tesla people I think.

Attachments

• 93B611CA-D341-4F24-AB46-94F58C580884.jpeg
    93B611CA-D341-4F24-AB46-94F58C580884.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: Teriyaki88
For anyone visiting this site: Find out if the local security staff know if Tesla will be given access to the garage door for the lower level entering from "A" Street. They will need to install a Key Pad so the code can be given to us on the GPS screen.

Thanks for the updates.