Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
san diego desperately needed a second supercharger to offload some of the traffic from the Qualcomm one. The result of building a 16 stalls sc (which I suppose is somewhat expensive) in a parking garage with rate of $2/15min is that the Qualcomm sc still experiences long lines and the new one is always vastly underutilzed. Great job, great investment Tesla, keep it up!

san diego desperately needed a second supercharger to offload some of the traffic from the Qualcomm one. The result of building a 16 stalls sc (which I suppose is somewhat expensive) in a parking garage with rate of $2/15min is that the Qualcomm sc still experiences long lines and the new one is always vastly underutilzed. Great job, great investment Tesla, keep it up!
The other result is that there is always a San Diego supercharger available to someone who really needs it.

Assuming of course that they fix the lack of 24/7 access which I agree is a must.

I get that parking is sometimes hard to find in cities and Tesla isn't able to provide us with free parking spots. Sometimes a Supercharger is in a structure that has parking fees. I get that. I would have payed for parking with any car anyways.

OTOH I don't think San Diego is the place where a downtown location is the only option. Tons of other options around, especially along the freeways. It's not even in a good place. The fact that it's 15 min walk to anything makes it even worse. By the time you are there, you can turn around and walk back. I drive (from Los Angeles) down to San Diego a lot and I doubt I will use that charger. The 3 locations they are building along the I5 will be what I'm using.

Can someone confirm the 24/7 access. That would be very important to know planning a trip.

Great, but what was your experience??? Ease of entry, parking, charging time, cost of exiting, etc.? This is what we would like to know. How do you feel about this location? What improvements do you suggest? Inquiring minds want to know....

See my detailed experience a few pages back. Overall, it ok. It’s insanely cramped though. I can’t imagine ever going here when it’s busy or how they’d handle a queue if it’s ever as busy as Qualcomm. $5 flat rate in the evenings.

As far as improvements — no idea how they’d address it — but I seriously wish there was more space for cars to drive through between both rows. Watching cars trying to drive through is just a fender bender waiting to happen. This is further extrapolated by Teslas sticking out 1-2 feet.

If you are centered in the space properly, you can back up WAY further than it looks like in your rear camera. Back in ALL the way people. For both your sake and the sake of others.

For those who want to know how the Parking Palace was reviewed on yelp pre-Supercharger, I found this review to be quite helpful:

By
Lucius B.

I've traveled the world and visited amazing landmarks and castles with beautiful architecture and halls - but none hold a candle to the Parking Palace in downtown San Diego.

Upon entering this regal palace you receive a small but important parchment token - ticket, if you will - to commemorate your entry into this strangely majestic structure, which gives you a right of passage into this realm.

There are a few secrets about the Parking Palace that are known only by those who dared to explore beyond the odd parallel lines that are scattered throughout the architecture's grounds.

Some say the "elevator" is still under maintenance to this day, after centuries of use. Proceed with caution as this is no ordinary elevator. One would think that to leave these hallowed grounds you would have to go what is called the "first floor", but you would be wrong. After I pressed the button to the first floor, I experienced a strange, unsettling movement. After what seemed to be an eternity, the gateway opened, and I found myself in what seemed to be a dungeon somewhere in Europe. I quickly reentered the portal and pressed the button for what I thought would be the "second" floor. The only thing I remember is the doors opening to what seemed to be Santee, circa 1980, when Mission Gorge was still just a gorge. I don't know what happened next but the last thing I remember is waking up on the floor of a tavern or pub.

To this day I don't know if the Palace is haunted, or a gateway to another time or dimension. Some say the King of the Parking Palace still walks the grounds, trying to fix the elevator portals.

If you are in San Diego looking for an adventure, be sure to visit the Parking Palace!

I arrived at 2am after a long trip. Gates were closed. This is not a 24/7 facility.
Anecdote from a Model X owner friend, who is not on the forums (I believe this was Sunday afternoon):

I'm going to need this supercharger for a vacation next summer (staying for a week close to SeaWorld at a place without charging), so hopefully the 24/7 access is resolved. Or... I may just rely on CHaDeMO at these parking rates.
By then, the La Costa Carlsbad location will be open and you can avoid both the lines at Qualcomm and the parking fees/cramped spaces at A Street. La Costa SC will be only 31 miles from the Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego or 62 miles round trip.

I arrived at 2am after a long trip. Gates were closed. This is not a 24/7 facility.

By then, the La Costa Carlsbad location will be open and you can avoid both the lines at Qualcomm and the parking fees/cramped spaces at A Street. La Costa SC will be only 31 miles from the Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego or 62 miles round trip.

If Tesla doesn't build more superchargers in this county, soon, I bet La Costa is also going to have a line!

What day was this? The gates were down after 5-6pm for the first few days of this being open.

This supercharger is limited to 72KW. It is not really intended for long distance travelers, or tourists, but more of a local, urban charger for apartment/condo dwellers downtown. Kind of a place to charge and go have coffee a couple times a week. Many like this one are in the works.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
If I were joining one or more Tesla(s) at this supercharger, I would be sure to park on the same side as them. That way cars passing through don't have to slalom in order to avoid hitting the parked Teslas. The stalls are not paired anyway. Of course, this suggestion only works if the site is half-full or less. Thanks to the poor location and parking fees that doesn't seem to be much of a problem!

If I were joining one or more Tesla(s) at this supercharger, I would be sure to park on the same side as them. That way cars passing through don't have to slalom in order to avoid hitting the parked Teslas. The stalls are not paired anyway. Of course, this suggestion only works if the site is half-full or less. Thanks to the poor location and parking fees that doesn't seem to be much of a problem!

How do you know the stalls aren't paired? They're labeled 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, etc. so I assumed they were.