Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: 11 posts were moved to a new thread at
Supercharger rate increase and cost of electricity in San Diego area

That move is not a criticism of that discussion, it was done because the discussion became a general one about the cost of charging at home in the San Diego area compared to the cost of using a Supercharger in the area after the recent Supercharger rate increase.

This charger station gets full quickly.
But assuming that all 12 get randomly populated and everyone charges for 60 minutes which is a lot, then every 5 minutes one should open up.
If the average charge time is 30 minutes (gives you 120 miles in a Model S 100D) then every 2.5 minutes a stall should open up.

Saw this on PlugShare. If you don’t mind me saying, but this guy is an asshole! Not only blocking a Supercharger, but using a regular charger so he doesn’t have to pay for Supercharging.
F680AD80-1657-4B42-959A-E4E6CA0CE2CC.jpeg

Saw this on PlugShare. If you don’t mind me saying, but this guy is an asshole! Not only blocking a Supercharger, but using a regular charger so he doesn’t have to pay for Supercharging.View attachment 372140

Seems dumb that the CharePoint can only be accessed from a handicap spot or a supercharger spot, though. Not that that excuses blocking a supercharger.

Reactions: ord3r
I would use a conventional charger even when a supercharger spot was available IF:

I was already at a high state of charge where I wouldn't make effective use of a supercharger;
I would be there long enough to make it worthwhile (e.g., overnight at a hotel);
I was on a long road trip where the extra margin would be useful;
There were enough unoccupied conventional charger spots that I would be unlikely to deny one to someone.

But I'd probably leave a "if you need this spot please call me" note on my car, and I certainly wouldn't block a supercharger spot in the process. The whole idea would be to not unnecessarily block a supercharging spot.

Mmmm yeah... not a way to win friends or to positively influence people, that.

A Richard move indeed.

Meanwhile, pretty much every new urban SC opened in SoCal recently has been saturated. They're once again behind the buildout curve and it shows. One wonders if all cars will be able to leverage the higher SC v3 charging (hopefully so) and if Tesla will ever be able to effectively manage demand in its own backyard. As I've said for years now, solve California and you've solved the world (regional and cultural issues notwithstanding, although even within those arenas Tesla continues to show promise - see Europe CCS and China creativity).

At least they got this location right in what has been the poster child for underservedness after the OC back in the day.

I expect that most of my charging will occur after 10pm here pretty quick. And so it goes.

Seems dumb that the CharePoint can only be accessed from a handicap spot or a supercharger spot, though. Not that that excuses blocking a supercharger.
It's not at all dumb. That ChargePoint station is specifically reserved for the use of charging cars which have disabled access plates or placards displayed. At that site, in addition to the disabled access station, there are also 2 other ChargePoint stations which are for anyone to use. I'll give the idiot from the picture the benefit of the doubt and assume that those were probably already taken when they plugged in. Regardless, they're certainly violating the intent of the law even if they might not be technically violating its letter. Plus they were blocking the use of a supercharger station.

Reactions: MarcoRP
By the way, there's also a supercharger stall reserved for disabled access. But it's out of the frame behind the picture taker, so you can't see it.

Yes, but that's one of 12? I think the ChargePoint is more like 1 of 4 are blue spaces. (I'm thinking there are three ChargePoint pedestals, and only 1 is dual cable, but I may be off.)

I think it would have made more sense to have an extra parking space for the ChargePoint, so it could be used from two different spaces, and only one blue space.

Have those shipping containers been removed yet? On my first visit there, one of the Target people said they liked to park in that area. So with all the stalls now dedicated to EV charging, you'd think they'd want to free up the rest of the space.

The spot next to charging cabinets on the long row of chargers was quite flooded during the rain today. Had my first legitimate use for summon so I wouldn’t have to walk in couple inch deep puddle. Hopefully they open the drainage a bit more.

Attachments

• AA9D55CF-3340-49C9-A9BD-93FC91422243.jpeg
    AA9D55CF-3340-49C9-A9BD-93FC91422243.jpeg
    558.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Funny
Reactions: Graffi
Have those shipping containers been removed yet? On my first visit there, one of the Target people said they liked to park in that area. So with all the stalls now dedicated to EV charging, you'd think they'd want to free up the rest of the space.
Yup, they have all been removed. Every time I've been at Target, I've noticed that there are plenty of free spaces there. I guess the employees have found a different place to park.

The spot next to charging cabinets on the long row of chargers was quite flooded during the rain today. Had my first legitimate use for summon so I wouldn’t have to walk in couple inch deep puddle. Hopefully they open the drainage a bit more.
Hmmm, but how did you plug in the charger if you didn't walk in the puddle? Sorry, I am a bit confused how summon helped you.:)