Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a night security parks his Blue Toyota (Tesla wanna be) Tercel in one of the SC spots and another parks his Gold Avalon in the Electric Vehicle Only spot.

Yeah, I was charging last night pretty late (in 1A), the blue Tercel came in and parked in stall 2B nose in, the security guard scrambled out and bolted in for his night shift. Prior to that, one arrived in a Crown Victoria (I think) and parked in the middle Electric Vehicle Only spots, again nose in. Two other guards came out of 10105 soon after and took off, one had parked his Toyota Avalon (I think) in the row by the road and the other in the end Electric Vehicle Only spots nearest the handicapped cross walk. One other Model S drove in ahead of me to charge, but the other nine Supercharger stalls remained empty. Clearly, "changing of the guard" at midnight, but with one exception, all parked inappropriately.

Something to keep an eye on. If shift starts at midnight, probably ends at 8 AM-ish. Then it may be a problem.
That's about what time the Tercel left, I was the only one charging there at the time

- - - Updated - - -

TTT, is that app just using user input for data?
Yes it is dependent upon user input, unless there is 100% compliance, pretty much useless. Can't wait for Tesla to provide a dashboard for each Supercharging site.

Some construction happening today at the supercharger:

IMG_2376.JPG

It sort of looks like they are digging holes for fence posts, but I also heard they were going to do some exploratory digging related to the misplaced pedestal. So far, six holes, roughly evenly spaced around the supercharger cabinets. The charging pedestals themselves are not fenced off and are still functioning.

Stopped by today. Three other Teslas there when I arrived, and one remaining when I left. I ton of construction/activity going on at the cabinets. I did not inquire as to why. I was surprised to only get 260 MPH. I was not paired with another Tesla. When the other two left, I tried moving my stall twice. Even worse, with only 200 mph. My SOC was only 150 when I left. What gives?

Stopped by today. Three other Teslas there when I arrived, and one remaining when I left. I ton of construction/activity going on at the cabinets. I did not inquire as to why. I was surprised to only get 260 MPH. I was not paired with another Tesla. When the other two left, I tried moving my stall twice. Even worse, with only 200 mph. My SOC was only 150 when I left. What gives?

It's hard to say if something is wrong from those numbers. The MPH reading is an average over the entire charge session, so the expected value will vary not just based on the current state of charge (SoC), but also on the starting SoC. It is normal to see this reading go down when you switch chargers, though, because you are starting a new charging session at a higher SoC. If you switch the settings to show energy instead of miles, it will show the instantaneous power (kW). That along with the current SoC would be enough to know if the charge rate is normal.

Regarding the construction, it's going to be an enormous "green" wall, which I think is like a trellis of some sort. But it's going to be so massive (to match the height of the existing wall next to it), that it requires very deep footings.

I am not sure I understand. I have never heard of MPH (mi/hr) being an average over an entire session. I have always used MPH, and at every SC I have visited, I typically got around 340 MPH, and several times much higher, holding that charge rate for awhile, tapering down as my charge increases. Getting 340 (or 400) is obviously not averaged. Yesterday, I started around 110 RM, which I think is low enough to get a rapid charge. In fact, the photo above by Smilepak shows 288 after adding 8 miles (therefore, also starting at 110), so he was already "warmed-up" to the fastest charge he would get. It also seems that he was the only one. Shouldn't he be at 340?

I am not sure I understand. I have never heard of MPH (mi/hr) being an average over an entire session. I have always used MPH, and at every SC I have visited, I typically got around 340 MPH, and several times much higher, holding that charge rate for awhile, tapering down as my charge increases. Getting 340 (or 400) is obviously not averaged. Yesterday, I started around 110 RM, which I think is low enough to get a rapid charge. In fact, the photo above by Smilepak shows 288 after adding 8 miles (therefore, also starting at 110), so he was already "warmed-up" to the fastest charge he would get. It also seems that he was the only one. Shouldn't he be at 340?

The displayed MPH in a Model S is the average of the current charging session. A very good approximation to instantaneous charge rate in an 85 is V*A/300. On your next Supercharge session, compare the displayed MPH to that calculation. I think that you will see that the instantaneous MPH drops a lot faster than the average, displayed MPH. Both numbers will drop as Supercharging progresses, but the instantaneous number will drop faster than the average number.