Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m visiting from Seattle, don’t really care if he was local or not (although I see how that’s not the point of a supercharger), but common curtesy is expected. Thankful that is not the case in any other SuC outside CA

5 cars in line today. This is actually the shortest I've seen in many months. So sick of this.

Attachments

• IMG_20180219_124804.jpg
    IMG_20180219_124804.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: avesraggiana
Just curious why Phoenix had two working Superchargers and two under construction, while This is the San Diego experience, with only one working Supercharger and one in permit? There are two more that are outside of San Diego in the permit phase that will help on the I-5 and I-15 travel to/from San Diego, but the one in El Cajon would help the I-8 visitors if it ever gets started. Not even a permit yet. I am hoping they will put it somewhere there is 24/7 restroom such as the Walmart Supercenter just off the I-8 at Los Coches Rd Exit.

I have only used the San Diego Supercharger when I had to take my wife to a meeting near the SC. I only waited about 15 minutes, then charged for 20 minutes before going back to pick her up. This allowed me to count San Diego SC as Superchargers visited, lol. NEVER AGAIN!!!

I do feel sorry for out of town visitors that have to use this Supercharger. At least it is quicker, even with the wait, than using an L-2 charge such as I will have to do when we make our cross-country drive this summer using I-10 in West Texas going to Florida/Georgia to visit family.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Here are the best times to charge at Qualcomm campus supercharger base on looking at the tesla occupied stall on the internal maps.

Before 9AM,
Between 4-5:30PM
After 10PM

This seems to be the best daily time to charge.

There might be another time during lunch and such but I have work daily so I haven't checked.

Also rule of thumb is if you are around 15 minutes out from the charging station make sure there is at least 4 stalls open. Anything less and you risk waiting when you arrive. I wouldn't even bother if there are only 2 or less stalls open unless it is during those un-busy times I mentioned above which mean more than likely you will get one when you arrive.

I don't like to quote myself, but again these are the times you should go. Recently I noticed people are charging earlier too. So YMMV on the Before 9AM. I go to work early and base on my monitoring of the Qualcomm Supercharger, I noticed around 6:30AM it gets almost full. But I am still confident you can get a spot if you arrive early. All other times are "you arrive at your own risk."

You guys also might want to check if there are those scamming tesloop guys there. I have seen myself and other have posted on how they have their vehicles charging quite often there during peak hours. And I put plurals because I know they have many many vehicles. Now they have every right to be there, but I feel it a bit discourteous when they are doing it purely on profits at the expense of people who actually want to enjoy a tesla. Also don't yell at those tesloop drivers, they are hired to drive the car so there is really nothing they can do. Yell at the CEO, the company, and their dumb leeching business model as a whole.

I don't like to quote myself, but again these are the times you should go. Recently I noticed people are charging earlier too. So YMMV on the Before 9AM. I go to work early and base on my monitoring of the Qualcomm Supercharger, I noticed around 6:30AM it gets almost full. But I am still confident you can get a spot if you arrive early. All other times are "you arrive at your own risk."

You guys also might want to check if there are those scamming tesloop guys there. I have seen myself and other have posted on how they have their vehicles charging quite often there during peak hours. And I put plurals because I know they have many many vehicles. Now they have every right to be there, but I feel it a bit discourteous when they are doing it purely on profits at the expense of people who actually want to enjoy a tesla. Also don't yell at those tesloop drivers, they are hired to drive the car so there is really nothing they can do. Yell at the CEO, the company, and their dumb leeching business model as a whole.

I don't get mad at the drivers... Just at how often Tesloop cars are there charging at peak times here. Really frustrating.

First 3 years of driving I never had to wait for a SC. I drive a lot!! (169,000 miles so far). I've used 36 different SC's in CA and NV. Of all of them, SD SC has the longest wait now. To me I can't understand why an area with 3 million people has only 1 SC. Other small cities already have multiple SC's. SD is also a popular destination with lots of tourists. I wish Tesla would have started installing more units in SD earlier. In time this will get better as 5 others are in the permit stage. It sucks for now.

Also I don't blame any other drivers who use SC's. I just don't like the rude, inconsiderate users. As an early adopter, I remember when Tesla owners had the option of paying $2,000 extra to have SC access. The Performance models already had supercharging already included in the price of the car. Some Over time, as Tesla gets more popular, they will need to continue to add more SC's to keep their existing customers happy and to attract new customers. When i got my car there were only 8 SC's in the country. now there's 477 in the US alone. it will get better. I took a leap of faith with Tesla in early 2013, and I still believe in the company.

To me I can't understand why an area with 3 million people has only 1 SC. ... I took a leap of faith with Tesla in early 2013, and I still believe in the company.

That's what I can't understand. I do understand how hard it is to permit anything in SD but to be in 2018 with only 1 SC and no real progress on any future ones is incredibly discouraging. I have a few friends who have at least decided to wait to get a Tesla because of this.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
No need to wait because of this. If they live in San Diego they do not need the SC. If they live somewhere else and drive to San Diego they can charge at San Clemente on the I-5 or Temecula on the I-15. For the I-8 only El Centro is available now.

I charge at home so can easily make it to either of these, depending on which route out of San Diego I take. Same for my return to San Diego.

Why would I waste 2 to 3 hours of my time and drive lots of miles out of my way, in heavy traffic, just to get "FREE" electricity. My time is worth so much more than the couple of Dollars I may save off of my monthly electricity bill. jmho

Moderator note: this thread is for issues specific to this Supercharger. If the discussion about local charging (which is an issue effecting many Supercharger locations) continues it will be moved to a different forum and separate thread titled “Yet another of many many threads about locals charging at Superchargers...”. ;) Thank you.

Used it to top up today. No line as of 5 pm. It does not look like I got billed for the electricity, and there was no mention of paying at any point in process, which is puzzling (I have a Model 3). Maybe Qualcomm eats the bill? (Shh, don't tell anyone.)

Local amenities information on the Tesla's supercharger map is wrong. It lists an "Armando's Taco Shop 24/7" (which is not 24/7 and actually closes at 4 pm), and a "King's Garden", which is no longer there.

Used it to top up today. No line as of 5 pm. It does not look like I got billed for the electricity, and there was no mention of paying at any point in process, which is puzzling (I have a Model 3). Maybe Qualcomm eats the bill? (Shh, don't tell anyone.)

Local amenities information on the Tesla's supercharger map is wrong. It lists an "Armando's Taco Shop 24/7" (which is not 24/7 and actually closes at 4 pm), and a "King's Garden", which is no longer there.
I have heard this also. Who knows when they will be charging, but so far, I have heard from other model 3 users that Qualcomm campus supercharger does not charge them for filling up there. They have been charged elsewhere though. I suspect it has to do with who pays the electricity. I think Qualcomm eats the electricity cost so Tesla is probably playing by eye and not charging its users. Until Qualcomm changes the rule, I suspect this will be the case moving forward. I just hope it doesn't get to a point where all the local Model 3s are coming just to Qualcomm Campus Supercharger just to get free electrons vs charging elsewhere locally where it's not free.

I just hope it doesn't get to a point where all the local Model 3s are coming just to Qualcomm Campus Supercharger just to get free electrons vs charging elsewhere locally where it's not free.

I don't think there's much danger of that. Even when it's not completely full (which it seems to be most of the time), the only places within walking distance which aren't overpriced coffee-shops, are open after 3 pm, have more than 3 stars on Yelp, and have an A inspection grade, are the Iranian kabob place and the sushi bar.

I hiked to the plaza on Scranton (Staples, food court, etc.) and I wouldn't do it again (it's something like 20 min of walking, one way).

I don't think there's much danger of that. Even when it's not completely full (which it seems to be most of the time), the only places within walking distance which aren't overpriced coffee-shops, are open after 3 pm, have more than 3 stars on Yelp, and have an A inspection grade, are the Iranian kabob place and the sushi bar.

I hiked to the plaza on Scranton (Staples, food court, etc.) and I wouldn't do it again (it's something like 20 min of walking, one way).
You're underestimating the effect that FREE anything has on the human race.

I have heard this also. Who knows when they will be charging, but so far, I have heard from other model 3 users that Qualcomm campus supercharger does not charge them for filling up there. They have been charged elsewhere though. I suspect it has to do with who pays the electricity. I think Qualcomm eats the electricity cost so Tesla is probably playing by eye and not charging its users. Until Qualcomm changes the rule, I suspect this will be the case moving forward. I just hope it doesn't get to a point where all the local Model 3s are coming just to Qualcomm Campus Supercharger just to get free electrons vs charging elsewhere locally where it's not free.

The theory I've heard is that for some sites, the lease negotiated between Tesla and the site host prevents them from charging. A free supercharger is more attractive to a site host as a draw for customers (or, as in this case, a perk for employees). This wouldn't necessarily mean that the site host is actually paying for the electricity (seems unlikely in this case), just that Tesla was willing to agree that charging would be free for all users when they made the contract.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV