Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wednesday Oct. 4 is the first time I've had to queue for a supercharger other than 5 minutes at Atascadero after the TMC Connect event. It was about 6:30PM at Sorrento Valley, one charger was out of order, I was 4th in line and waited just under 15 minutes to get a spot.

Here are the best times to charge at Qualcomm campus supercharger base on looking at the tesla occupied stall on the internal maps.

Before 9AM,
Between 4-5:30PM
After 10PM

This seems to be the best daily time to charge.

There might be another time during lunch and such but I have work daily so I haven't checked.

Also rule of thumb is if you are around 15 minutes out from the charging station make sure there is at least 4 stalls open. Anything less and you risk waiting when you arrive. I wouldn't even bother if there are only 2 or less stalls open unless it is during those un-busy times I mentioned above which mean more than likely you will get one when you arrive.

Not sure why thumbs down, but I was just only helping others to gauge when it's best to go charge to avoid the crowd. Kind of wish tesla publish these type of data, i.e. when superchargers are more likely busy as oppose to making people like me poll their map all the time.

As for people who work and charge there, I am not sure why people even question this. This is qualcomm campus. We know there are rich qualcomm employees charging there all the time as well as those tesloop scammers. I think it's best to accept the current situation and hope tesla opens more stations in the future. No point in fretting about it at this point. It's not going to change those guys behaviors.

Expanding Qualcomm area to have a 2nd SC there or expand that to 20 would be nice. Having one alone the 15 without having to go up to Temecula is good as well. Maybe one on either end of Mira Mesa. One off the 5 and other off the 15. I wanted to go to Julian Pie from SD, but after spending 2 hours at Qualcomm, there wasn't time. 15-30 minutes to wait for a spot. One hour and 20 minutes to charge to 100%.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
It's only going to get worse as more Teslas are on the road so they really need to up their game. Doubt building more SCs will completely solve the problem as long as they allow abuse to go on.

Hopefully the extra 52 stalls planned for between Carlsbad and San Diego will help!

upload_2018-1-9_13-16-25.png

Threads:
Supercharger - Carlsbad (permit found, construction not started yet)
Supercharger - San Diego Downtown (permit found, construction not started)

Maybe Tesla should increase the rule on idle parking fees for repeat offenders. Let them jump exponentially until they are paying hundreds of dollars per minute if not thousands. That should get most of their attention. There really needs to be a price to pay for rude and inconsiderate behavior no matter who or where you are.
Don't hold your breath. I don't think Tesla sets the rules. Qualcomm owns the lot, and I think they probably set the rules...and they are unlikely to start fining their own highly compensated employees.

Don't hold your breath. I don't think Tesla sets the rules. Qualcomm owns the lot, and I think they probably set the rules...and they are unlikely to start fining their own highly compensated employees.

I can assure you with some degree of conviction that QC is not known for "highly compensating" their employees (with the usual exception of a handful of very Senior level folks), especially when compared to peer companies.

Furthermore, Tesla does indeed "set the rules" for charging rates at SC locations - QC is merely a landlord (former QC exec and former Tesla employee here).

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I would think QC would want to increase the stations as having rows of Tesla just lining up in the middle of the parking lot only add traffic and issue. For example, if you are a frequent visitor there, apparently there is a line they usually create on the upper side of the parking lot. People who come here infrequently or first time wouldn't know that and park in the parking space on the other side. They immediately drive into space once it is available. Either not know there is a line or think the line was for the other row or don't care. Leading to arguments.

Having more stations lessen the line waiting possibility.

But again, it makes more sense to have one on the other side of Mira Mesa closer to the 15.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Keep in mind that San Diego as a greater metropolitan remains underserved insofar as SCs go. Just one of the many questions about the management of the Southwest Region SC deployment these part few years.

Part of the reason why it’s been so hard to get an effective solution for ICEing by our own is that it’s not a priority.

The San Diego SC does show up with some regularity as one of the day’s Top 10 most-used SCs. However, there are 500+ SCs in North America and 97% of them aren’t that busy.

At some point, the related feature requests spurred by the other 3% may bubble up to the top and get done. After all, a disproportionate number of owners are affected.

Education through the touchscreen, requiring offenders to have a credit card on file for future fines, adding signage at SCs to return to your car a few minutes early s s to vacate the stall when the charge is complete... all positive steps.

As well, it would also be nice if Owners Clubs received and executed a directive to educate their members for the good of everybody.

Unless and until some kind of blanket reinforcement for the unaware occurs, and consistent penalties for chronic inconsiderate types are assessed, satisfaction will continue to be... inconsistent.

Moderator note: a number of posts that were not specific to this Supercharger location but were general complaints about Supercharger overcrowding, not enough Superchargers in the greater San Diego area, people not moving their cars quickly enough after finishing charging, enforcing idle fees, etc., etc., etc., were moved to a new thread in the Tesla Inc forum at More complaints about Supercharger overcrowding (moved from California Superchargers forum)

I attempted to not move posts that were specific to this Supercharger but there is no way to do that perfectly because conversations get mixed together.

Any complaints, PM me directly. Going forward, please keep this thread focused on this specific Supercharger. Thank you.

Reactions: 2BEnhanced