Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I shall be #294 to report in that the queue lines are absurd. I am currently 9th in line for a charge spot. Yes, it is high time. It is approaching gross negligence to sell a Tesla with any expectation of supercharger availability. Yes, Tesla is “working on it,” albeit at snails pace. Permitted 6 months ago with no traction? Hmmmm...

I hiked to the plaza on Scranton (Staples, food court, etc.) and I wouldn't do it again (it's something like 20 min of walking, one way).

If it's during business hours, you could try to figure out the Qualcomm shuttle system. I haven't worked there for a couple of years, but I don't think shuttle drivers ever asked to see badges, and there was a shuttle stop in the parking structure behind that food court. (I'm not sure if they still occupy that building, but the main campus is a lot closer the food court than the satellite campus with the supercharger.)

Reluctantly pulled in for juice Friday to get back to LA.......just awful.

The 20 min wait was tolerable only because I had no choice, but during the time I added 170 miles to the 30 I arrived with, barely anyone moved. I said goodbye to guys still waiting in line behind me when I started charging. Crazy.

I'd pay $50 to avoid a 20 min wait.
Oh my, you are a generous guy (or your time is probably just really valuable). Drive to my house for a charge. I'll give you coffee and donuts for that $50 :D

Seriously though.... you make me wonder wouldn't it be nice if they could have a couple of those SC spots set aside and marked for drivers willing to pay for the energy even if they have free energy for the life of the car. You know, kind of like Chargepoint. Surely that would get some complaints as well. However, there are times (but not often) when I would be willing to pay for my juice to get back on the road quickly instead of waiting a long time. Of course the real solution is to get several SC locations on line down there.

You could use a chademo charger in town - if willing to pay. Slower but probably faster than waiting in a line.

This. There are plenty of Chademo chargers in San Diego. Costs a few bucks, and the charge rate isn’t that much slower than a SC factoring in sharing an overheated stall. If I were an Evgo or Chargepoint sales person, I’d be handing out little maps of local stations.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla and FlyF4
Yep, it may be the best way to go......I'll have to get rigged up for Chademo but it does blow a gaping hole in the SC concept that enabled roadtripping as a viable & convenient feature of being a Tesla owner. Maybe at midnight.

Superchargers are viable, just not in San Diego.

Tesla has never had the appropriate resources focused here. Yeah, I know @RandyS will say that they have umpteeneleven SCs in the works, but it is always too late, and behind the curve. Right now, the immediate issue is with the permitting agencies (cities, counties), but that’s just a lack of forethought as to how long it takes anything to get approved here as well as hiring inexperienced people who are not familiar with the local agencies. The bottom line is that San Diego is and always has been a SC desert.

Use Chademo.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
The bottom line is that San Diego is and always has been a SC desert.

Kind of true. I drive a lot between LA and San Diego. The current station at Qualcom is terrible. Always busy thus slow and a bad location. It's hard to make it down to SD, drive around town and then back up. It's always very tight with energy making it back up to San Clemente. The new planned locations on I5 are great except they are a little far off the freeway. Last time we drove a little into Mexico we took the ICE. We just didn't want to deal with the Qualcom charger.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Based on the latest photo's in the Downtown SD thread, the new SC will be live in short time. If i was to take a wild guess, probably within 30 days. This should help those owners who can't charge in their skyrise condo's and apartments and must rely on QCOM location. I think it will help some of the congestion here as well.

2037CD30-7750-4B28-96C4-FE21A43F571C.jpeg

Unique rarity.... Alone and unafraid at 5:30 am on a Thursday. Earlier this week on Monday it was completely full at 6:00 am.

Last edited: