Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Barstow

Don't worry. I just drive round trip from San Diego to Huntington Beach.205 miles & had 49 miles left. Range mode helps a lot.

I'm planning my drive from SD to Barstow Supercharger this Sunday.

Google Maps is routing me via I-215 and I-15, instead of I-15 only. The combo is 5 miles less, but I'm wondering which will be better in terms of elevation.

Is there a route planner that takes into effect the elevation? I could really use the SJC Supercharger (which I don't think has started up yet), or will have to go a bit slower than usual.

That being said, 170mi on a 258mi range charge should be ok, I hope. Gonna look up some J1772s along the way to connect up if required.

Just watch your speed. I recently did the SD to Barstow run and the last third or so of the trip is a lot of uphill. I was fine but didn't have much range left so I was getting nervous. Give yourself extra cushion for all that uphill.

Just include an altitude correction in your energy calculation. "My Altitude" is an example of free app on the iPhone that will give you altitude. I find the correction of 7 rated miles per 1,000 feet to be quite good. For example, Barstow is about 2,000 feet elevation. If your current elevation is 1,000 ft, subtract 7 miles from the rated miles remaining; if your current elevation is 3,000 ft, add 7 miles to the rated miles remaining. This correction takes out most of the effects of elevation changes. Really steep downhills with lots of regen can be a little lossy (a few rated miles), but most highways do not have such descents.

Ended up parking inside the hotel carpark for Saturday night as Old Town parking was crazy.

As I had time, walked all through the parking structure, and found one spot which had 110v power outlets that worked (lots were just off)

There was a Prius parked in that spot, so I came back in a few hours and they were just leaving. So waited and took their spot. I think they were wondering why I was waiting for their spot, when there were heaps around.

I plugged in, and got 2 Mi/hr. Wasn't bad considering it'd be sitting there for at least 16 hours.

I monitored it over the next hour or so, and found that it had stopped charging. Unsure why, so I went back to the car, disconnected and reconnected at 8A instead of 12A (as it said dodgy wiring on the dash)

At 8A its still charging, up to 262 miles, which I am very happy with considering the car has done 11000 miles and is from Dec2012

Range of 262 on an 'A' battery - you're lucky

Can't complain :)

Just got to Barstow, getting only 72mi/hr from charge (cos I'm not the only one on that charger). Will have to wait til these two leave.

now doing well, from 45mi to 225mi in very little time (just had some food at Chilis, now gonna head to aria after dropping off some laundry.

thanks for all your advice everyone. lets get back on topic. come on SJC!!!

Last edited:
Just include an altitude correction in your energy calculation. "My Altitude" is an example of free app on the iPhone that will give you altitude. I find the correction of 7 rated miles per 1,000 feet to be quite good. For example, Barstow is about 2,000 feet elevation. If your current elevation is 1,000 ft, subtract 7 miles from the rated miles remaining; if your current elevation is 3,000 ft, add 7 miles to the rated miles remaining. This correction takes out most of the effects of elevation changes. Really steep downhills with lots of regen can be a little lossy (a few rated miles), but most highways do not have such descents.

One kilowatt hour = 2,655,224 pound feet of energy.

Driving your 4000 pound Electric vehicle up a 1000 foot elevation requires 4000 * 1000 = 4,000,000 foot pounds of energy divided by 2,655,224 equals 1.5kWh of energy to lift the car.

1.5kWh of energy at an economy of 4 miles per kWh (250 watts per mile) = 6 miles of range used to fo up 1000 feet for a Nissan LEAF type car.

For a 5000 pound Model S (just two occupants) equals 5 million foot pounds to go up 1000 feet.

5 million divided by 2,655,224 equals 1.883kWh of energy to lift the car.

1.833kWh of energy at an economy of 3 miles per kWh (333 watts per mile) = 5.5 miles of range used to raise the car 1000 feet.

METRIC

One kilowatt hour = 367.0978 meter kilograms of energy.

1.5kWh of energy is used to gain 300 meters at an economy of 6 km per kWh (167 watts per kWh) = 9 km of range used to raise the car 300 meters.

One kilowatt hour = 2,655,224 pound feet of energy.

Driving your 4000 pound Electric vehicle up a 1000 foot elevation requires 4000 * 1000 = 4,000,000 foot pounds of energy divided by 2,655,224 equals 1.5kWh of energy to lift the car.

1.5kWh of energy at an economy of 4 miles per kWh (250 watts per mile) = 6 miles of range used to fo up 1000 feet for a Nissan LEAF type car.

For a 5000 pound Model S (just two occupants) equals 5 million foot pounds to go up 1000 feet.

5 million divided by 2,655,224 equals 1.883kWh of energy to lift the car.

1.833kWh of energy at an economy of 3 miles per kWh (333 watts per mile) = 5.5 miles of range used to raise the car 1000 feet.

METRIC

One kilowatt hour = 367.0978 meter kilograms of energy.

1.5kWh of energy is used to gain 300 meters at an economy of 6 km per kWh (167 watts per kWh) = 9 km of range used to raise the car 300 meters.

Exactly, except that I use the altitude to correct the rated miles as displayed on the dash. Those are calculated at 290 Wh/mi.

Soooo.... 1.833 kW-hr / 290 Wh/mi = 6.32 rated miles range per 1,000 feet elevation

In practice in many crossing of the Colorado Rockies, I have found that 7 mi/1,000 feet to be a very good correction factor. Maybe 6 would be a little closer, but we are now getting down to measurement error. When are going up and down in elevation and want to have a good estimate of total energy remaining to complete the segment, you must correct for altitude.