Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did read many of the previous postings. If Tesla really wanted this station opened (say it was part of the cross country path) the company would have put more resources behind getting this done. Lawyers, money etc.. To leave an area of around 3.5 million people somewhat isolated given the large number of Teslas in this area to me is poor management. Even a "good" company can screw up. Having this project extended for six months is rather disappointing. The executive in charge of this is not doing a very good job.

I did read many of the previous postings. If Tesla really wanted this station opened (say it was part of the cross country path) the company would have put more resources behind getting this done. Lawyers, money etc.. To leave an area of around 3.5 million people somewhat isolated given the large number of Teslas in this area to me is poor management. Even a "good" company can screw up. Having this project extended for six months is rather disappointing. The executive in charge of this is not doing a very good job.

I read that this position did change it's lead recently.

I picked up my P 85 in January expecting to be able to go to San Diego from Orange County with the San Juan supercharger available shortly. When I read about the first cross country trip using Superchargers my reaction was to be pissed off. With the very large numbers of Teslas in Southern Ca. It is unbelievable that one can not travel to San Diego from anywhere north.
It's only 85 miles from Irvine to San Diego. No problem to make it round trip, and a SuperCharger 20 miles from Irvine isn't really going to help much unless you're just squeaking in for some reason. Really Oceanside might make a better spot (or a good additional spot) for SuperChargers between the two areas.

Alternatively, if Tesla would start shipping the CHAdeMO adapter, eVgo is doing a decent job of putting in new stations (and there's also a good amount of L2 in San Diego and Orange County that should make it fairly easy to top off at or near your destination).

Ultimately Tesla is responsible to have the Superchargers ready around the time they are promised. I picked up my P 85 in January expecting to be able to go to San Diego from Orange County with the San Juan supercharger available shortly. When I read about the first cross country trip using Superchargers my reaction was to be pissed off. With the very large numbers of Teslas in Southern Ca. It is unbelievable that one can not travel to San Diego from anywhere north. Clearly the management has spent more resources
for publicity purposes on the cross US network than on this critical location in San Juan. If they really cared the station would have been already open. The Tesla company will lose significant good will if this project is stalled much longer. A newspaper article about this issue would not be well received in Tesla headquarters.

No offense, but I think you're exaggerating quite a bit. I was disappointed myself as I had a wedding in San Diego a week and a half ago that this SC would have helped me with greatly. Tesla has never made any promises on when this would be open, unfortunately, so we can't really hold them to a deadline, unless you consider "Coming Soon" a promise I guess. Furthermore, San Diego is by no means difficult to drive to from either Barstow or Hawthorne superchargers, even in my S60. With your P85, it's easy as cake. I don't think this issue is even close to newspaper worthy.

Tesla in anything buy an incompetent company. They have put a lot of money into this SC. Do you really think that they are happy to just kick back and wait for things to fall into place. They want this up and running now. There is obviously something going on here that is beyond their control. My guess is that they could be more aggressive, but are playing their cards correctly. You attract more flies with honey...

At least you have access to a supercharger. Again, I'm biased. I live in Atlanta but do not own a Tesla. Atlanta has 8.3 million people (metro) and does not have great access to a supercharger. Yes, Savannah, GA is an "option" but it's also 250 miles away! Atlanta may not be the top Tesla market but I would say its in the 10 top. It is also in top 5 EV markets which I think could correlate with Tesla purchases as well.

Understand what Tesla is doing here. NO other automobile manufacturer is doing anything close to this. This is revolutionary. Tesla has their customer's best interests in mind and I'm disappointed if you can not see that. Patience.

Facts:
"Half Of All Electric Cars Are Sold In 5 Cities; Can You Name Them?" - Aug 13, 2013 - http://www.greencarreports.com/news...c-cars-are-sold-in-5-cities-can-you-name-them
"Atlanta turns over new Leafs — and other electric cars" - Feb 24, 2014 - http://blogs.marketwatch.com/energy...turns-over-new-leafs-and-other-electric-cars/

- - - Updated - - -

Why did we let a new member turn this thread into a drama theater

I unfortunately think that this awesome Tesla user base will eventually be diluted. I've NEVER (not that I'm very old) seen any other group of owners so passionate about their products before. Hopefully it takes a LONG time to dilute the forward thinking Tesla community.

Tesla in anything buy an incompetent company. They have put a lot of money into this SC. Do you really think that they are happy to just kick back and wait for things to fall into place. They want this up and running now. There is obviously something going on here that is beyond their control. My guess is that they could be more aggressive, but are playing their cards correctly. You attract more flies with honey...

All companies of Tesla's size have their fair share of incompetence, though I can't be sure that's what is at play, here. But Tesla certainly could have planned this better, and had all their ducks in a row before they started construction. They could have seen this problem coming and chosen a different site, for instance.

Status update: I'm hearing that the easement language has been agreed upon and finalized. The next step is to get it signed and recorded...

Finally! Also, remember that even without an easement issue, it took several weeks for the local utility to make it to the Cheyenne Supercharger to get the 480V transformer installed and connected.

This is an opportunity for Tesla to learn and start the installation of the HV utility lines and transformer install sooner in the process of Supercharger installs. The HV/480V Transformer seems to be the long pole in the schedule all too often.