Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me, or does this Supercharger site look ugly? Couldn't they have centralized the Supercharger equipment into one area rather than have multiple small blocky building?

If you look at how the lot was before, you can see why they did it this way. Path of least resistance.

Union Bank, Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA - Google Maps

The supercharger cabinets are in the voids next to the trees, so they don't take up any space that wasn't previously wasted. I think the switch gear is taking up the third void, though it's kind of hard to tell from pictures.

Not the best supercharger layout, but I can see why they did it.

- - - Updated - - -

Although studying the satellite photo a little more, this supercharger is going to be tricky to navigate. That aisle is pretty narrow for non-angled parking spaces. Previously, you could pull through these spaces, so it wouldn't have been a problem. But now the east side is blocked by the charging pedestals.

If you look at how the lot was before, you can see why they did it this way. Path of least resistance.

Union Bank, Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano, CA - Google Maps

The supercharger cabinets are in the voids next to the trees, so they don't take up any space that wasn't previously wasted. I think the switch gear is taking up the third void, though it's kind of hard to tell from pictures.

Not the best supercharger layout, but I can see why they did it.

- - - Updated - - -

Although studying the satellite photo a little more, this supercharger is going to be tricky to navigate. That aisle is pretty narrow for non-angled parking spaces. Previously, you could pull through these spaces, so it wouldn't have been a problem. But now the east side is blocked by the charging pedestals.

Agreed. Still happy to have a local supercharger (warts and all).

:)

I realize by posting this, I'm exacerbating the problem, but this is the most frequently posted-to thread with nothing to report I have ever followed. :)

I appreciate FredTMC and others driving by there every few days just to check on things. Otherwise, I'd keep having to drive over there to check on it:smile:

AFAIK, San Juan has been the most delayed of any other supercharger. It was due back in summer 2013!! If somebody would just get off their duff and do something about this supercharger, then we'd have something to report and all would be well.

I'm planning my drive from SD to Barstow Supercharger this Sunday.

Google Maps is routing me via I-215 and I-15, instead of I-15 only. The combo is 5 miles less, but I'm wondering which will be better in terms of elevation.

Is there a route planner that takes into effect the elevation? I could really use the SJC Supercharger (which I don't think has started up yet), or will have to go a bit slower than usual.

That being said, 170mi on a 258mi range charge should be ok, I hope. Gonna look up some J1772s along the way to connect up if required.

I'm planning my drive from SD to Barstow Supercharger this Sunday.

Google Maps is routing me via I-215 and I-15, instead of I-15 only. The combo is 5 miles less, but I'm wondering which will be better in terms of elevation.

Is there a route planner that takes into effect the elevation? I could really use the SJC Supercharger (which I don't think has started up yet), or will have to go a bit slower than usual.

That being said, 170mi on a 258mi range charge should be ok, I hope. Gonna look up some J1772s along the way to connect up if required.

Evtripper.com uses elevation data for planning. You can also put in outside temperature, HVAC setting, wheel size, etc. It's awesome. The 15 and 215 should both be about the same for elevation.

If you drive along I215 to Barstow from SD, you can use Pechanga J1772s charging station. It is along the way and you can take a break as they have plenty restaurant to choose.

Cool, will keep it in mind. I'm planning on leaving with 230 miles range and it's a 170mi trek.

Hopefully this will allow for the possible change in elevation and going a bit quicker.

Cool, will keep it in mind. I'm planning on leaving with 230 miles range and it's a 170mi trek.
Hopefully this will allow for the possible change in elevation and going a bit quicker.

If you can charge to 230 you must have an 85 so why not do a full range charge to around 260 and give yourself more of a safety margin as well as peace of mind? It doesn't hurt the battery to charge to max just before you start your drive.

If you can charge to 230 you must have an 85 so why not do a full range charge to around 260 and give yourself more of a safety margin as well as peace of mind? It doesn't hurt the battery to charge to max just before you start your drive.

I will definitely be doing that, but as I don't live in SD and don't have anywhere close to charge, I'll be charging to 258 (my range max charge) at the SD Service Center before picking up my mum from Old Town (hotel) which is 15 miles away, and then heading to Barstow.

So I will probably have about 240mi for the 170mi journey, I'm not too worried.