Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was unaware about the issues with this SC until today. The navy said this SC was temporarily closed so we didn't stop here and instead went to SJC where we had to wait about 20 minutes (first time I've had to wait at a SC to charge in maybe 3 years). The attendant at the SJCwas unaware of the issues at the Main Place chargers. We need to stop at the Main Place Mall late tomorrow on the way back and will check it out to see if any stalls are working. If not, I will definitely contact Tesla.

Sounds good but I didn't know that the US NAVY has information about our superchargers. The technology today... :p

I was at this Supercharger today at about 1100. I think that 3 stalls were coned off. A guy with a Tesla shirt on was working on the charging cable of one of the stalls: the end piece was off and wires were sticking out of the cable. Parked just across from him was an S with the hatch open, I assume the car he drove there in.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
Thanks for the update, Ed.

I didn't have a chance to post a follow up until now. We visited the Main Place Mall on Thursday around 3:30 in the afternoon. My NAV (hopefully my phone's auto correct won't change this spelling to navy before I hit the post button) was still saying it was closed. When we arrived, all of the bays seemed to be in service and there were only a couple of cars there. I asked the security guard about the status, and he said they had a large power outage last weekend that caused the entire station to go down for repairs. He said that the station had come back into service on Wednesday. Wished we had known that on our way down to San Diego.

SJC built and completely filled within 1 week and long wait times.
FV built and completely filled within 1 week and long wait times.
San Diego built and completely filled within 1 week and long wait times.
Santa Ana built and almost always filled and now with long wait times (or perpetually broken)
Buena Park...( I don't know enough about this one to complain)

I am utterly confused on how Tesla has not tackled the problem of this major corridor. Not since the inception of the supercharger network have I once seen somebody thrilled with the idea of supercharging along this route. It is already massively under served and cannot handle a single extra car on the road, let alone a large number of Model 3's. Of all the areas in the country, I think this is the one that is going to draw the most ire of drivers and create the worst publicity. The common folk who order Model 3's will not have the patience that most of us had during this companies infancy.

Tesla is aware. Look at the planned Southern California Supercharger expansion map. Here, let me help you...

IMG_0343.PNG

Tesla is aware. Look at the planned Southern California Supercharger expansion map. Here, let me help you...

View attachment 234269
Right, we just haven't seen anything yet, except for the latest info on FV. I trust Tesla wants to make this happen. I am just surprised that so little has been done to date in an area with such desperate need.
PS: Enjoy your scuba diving endeavors! I'm a long term PADI cert myself.

IMG_4088.PNG

As of today, July 22 - 1 stall having issue charging. So your map might show one available if you see it pop up.

Charging at other stall.

But I do like this feature of showing available stalls. Was driving, wasn't planning to stop all of a sudden 4 stalls open up and I was just five miles away on the 5 freeway. Got here with two left open.

View attachment 237205

As of today, July 22 - 1 stall having issue charging. So your map might show one available if you see it pop up.

Charging at other stall.

But I do like this feature of showing available stalls. Was driving, wasn't planning to stop all of a sudden 4 stalls open up and I was just five miles away on the 5 freeway. Got here with two left open.
Looking at your state of charge and the charging rate, it's not that far off from what's expected (approximately: Charging rate (kW) = 120 - SOC(%)) . You are charging to 100%, which is where at least 25 minutes (between 90% and 100%) will be wasted at rates less than 20kW.

Looking at your state of charge and the charging rate, it's not that far off from what's expected (approximately: Charging rate (kW) = 120 - SOC(%)) . You are charging to 100%, which is where at least 25 minutes (between 90% and 100%) will be wasted at rates less than 20kW.
You have no idea if he is actually charging to 100%. If I am going to drive after charging (which is basically 100% of the time when I supercharge), I would leave it at 100% just in case I didn't get back to my car right away when it got to 80%, 90% or whatever. If I get back later than I plan, I might as well keep charging and gain a few miles.

You have no idea if he is actually charging to 100%. If I am going to drive after charging (which is basically 100% of the time when I supercharge), I would leave it at 100% just in case I didn't get back to my car right away when it got to 80%, 90% or whatever. If I get back later than I plan, I might as well keep charging and gain a few miles.
Um, his charge level was set to 100%. The estimate then includes the very slow last 10%.