Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ysabel, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2021, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jealous of you folks with newer battery packs. Mid-100s is about all I can manage. Headed out to my place in Borrego and this is a great spot to recharge and grab a bite, let the dog out for a sniff.
F08FCE60-1F75-4DD2-AEF4-D8070E9DB896.jpeg

We can encourage Tesla's Supercharger deployments to cover gaps in Borrego Springs and Ocotillo/Campo (Golden Nugget Travel Center directly off the 8 Freeway). Here's what I've done, and I encourage you to add your voice.
  • Submit recommended locations as a Tesla owner: Charging Partners | Tesla (scroll down to the Suggest a Charging Site form).
  • Contact businesses, cities, and chambers of commerce asking them to request Superchargers using the same form.
We all know that Tesla drivers go where the Superchargers are, so they bring business!

In addition to that form, looks like there's also [email protected].

Jealous of you folks with newer battery packs. Mid-100s is about all I can manage. Headed out to my place in Borrego and this is a great spot to recharge and grab a bite, let the dog out for a sniff.
Judging by your SOC your rate isn't that far off that of a 3/Y due to the large taper of V3. This is our SR Y at 16% on V3 at GIlroy with no other cars charging at 9am. We were about 150 miles into a drive with preconditioning so no issues with battery not being warm enough for peak charge rates.

IMG_6059.png

Stopped here yesterday afternoon. We have been visiting the San Diego area all week and had some free time in the afternoon to go hit new (to us) chargers. We did not realize how out in the boonies this one was. But it is a nice stop with a grocery store (with restrooms) and a restaurant. Population of the little town only 463. While here, we got to see something that I had thought never really happened (except for staged videos): a Nissan Leaf pulled in and tried to charge. Obviously the cable wouldn't even reach but he tried to plug it in to the charge port on his hood. He tried for a couple of minutes. So hilarious and now I know it isn't only staged - it actually happens.

If you visit this charger as noted above, please realize that Julian is just down the street and is the destination for many San Diegans - old time country feel and highly rated and overrated Apple Pie

If you visit this charger as noted above, please realize that Julian is just down the street and is the destination for many San Diegans - old time country feel and highly rated and overrated Apple Pie
I agree, the Julian Apple Pie may be highly rated and/or overrated if you bake your own Apple Pie. My wife makes the greatest Apple Pie and other Pie's too..

Jealous of you folks with newer battery packs. Mid-100s is about all I can manage. Headed out to my place in Borrego and this is a great spot to recharge and grab a bite, let the dog out for a sniff.View attachment 653881
My wife and I spend several weekends per year in Borrego...headed out there this weekend in fact. Are there really no public EV chargers there at all?

My wife and I spend several weekends per year in Borrego...headed out there this weekend in fact. Are there really no public EV chargers there at all?
Not sure if they're still there (they don't show up on Plugshare), but there used to be some Blink L2 chargers there. But they were pretty unreliable at least a few years ago. Your best bet is to seek out a 14-50 plug at an RV park. Check Plugshare, there's one option that looks usable there if you get stuck in a pinch.

Otherwise, charge enough to get back to Santa Ysabel without recharging.

Reactions: DarthStar
La Casa del Zorro Desert Resort & Spa | Anza-Borrego Desert State Park Adjacent was putting in some Level 2 chargers for their guests that may be done by now (but call and verify). It was going to be a keypad system at the charger with the codes to use the chargers issued by the front desk folks. Not sure if / how it works if you're not a resort guest.

Reactions: DarthStar
I've never been to Anza Borrego or the area, but planning a trip. Is it possible (range wise) to disperse camp in a Tesla or would you need to charge while in the park, i.e. you must book an RV site?
I've stayed in my S at Agua Caliente campground close to there, and I got a spot with hookups. Plugged right into the 50amp plug, turned camp mode on and slept nice and warm, along with a full charge when I left. And this was before this supercharger existed.

Reactions: GreenDriver
The cabins at Agua Caliente also have a 110 outlet on the front porch. I've used that, and it works (really slowly!) The cabins may also have a 220 outlet on a pedestal nearby to each cabin, but I've not personally confirmed that yet.

Visited again and have more info:
  • In addition to the 110 outlet on the front porch, each cabin also has its own electrical utility pedestal outside the cabin. I checked out just a few pedestals (not all!).
  • The pedestals are mostly a breaker box. All of the ones I checked had a 110 outlet, and some, but not all, also had a 220 outlet.
  • I tried the 220 outlet at Cabin 4, and the car first charged at 32 Amps (7 kW), but later it automatically lowered it to 16 Amps (4 kW) due to the outlet temperature detected. (It's really great how the Tesla adapters and EVSE detect this, and the car automatically reduces the charging.) Even with the reduced charge rate, it's still much better than using a 110 outlet.
  • Bring your adapters!
  • Worst case, you can still use a 110 outlet in the pedestal or on the porch.
  • Depending on the cabin, parking location, and outlet location, you may need a heavy duty extension cord to reach!
  • Of course, you need to reserve and rent the cabin to charge there.

A few pics that may be helpful:

Opened pedestal at Cabin 4 with one 110 and two 220 outlets:
1648753259083.png

Charging at Cabin 4:
1648754047982.png

Pedestal at Cabin 5 with only a 110 outlet:
1648754149131.png

Because Spring has sprung in the desert:
1648754218845.png

More Spring desert beauty for you:
1648754272448.png