Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger- Seattle, WA - Meridian Ave N (under construction Jan 2024, 12 V3 + L2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
16 V4 pedestals placed.
1000012048.jpg
1000012047.jpg

(sigh) has this site been forgotten, too?
Why are we jumping to conclusions that all sites that have paused with cabinets and stalls installed are being forgotten? If there is no transformer, they still have to wait for that. Whether the original team was still in place or fired, they can't get transformers any sooner. That is all up to the utility.

Why are we jumping to conclusions that all sites that have paused with cabinets and stalls installed are being forgotten? If there is no transformer, they still have to wait for that. Whether the original team was still in place or fired, they can't get transformers any sooner. That is all up to the utility.
What looks like "jumping to conclusions" is just what IMHO is the most likely explanation for why so many SC sites seem to be stalled for so long in western WA. I agree though that transformers can take a while, and that might be the problem at some sites, e.g. Shoreline.

This article suggests that the wait is just for the transformer. But, you'd think that capitalism will pick up on production of these things.

OTOH, the V4 chargers in Burlington WA have a transformer already. They're waiting on... inspection by Skagit County? Utility hookup?

This article suggests that the wait is just for the transformer. But, you'd think that capitalism will pick up on production of these things.

OTOH, the V4 chargers in Burlington WA have a transformer already. They're waiting on... inspection by Skagit County? Utility hookup?
Depends on the individual utility and when they were given a timeline for the site and placed the order. The Burlington site had a permit applied 9/8/22. That’s 21 months ago so lots of lead time to get a transformer ordered and delivered. This site was applied for 10/20/23, over a year later. Not saying this will be turned on a year later but Burlingtons transformer was likely sitting at the utility yard for a few months waiting for the site to be far enough along to be installed.

Depends on the individual utility and when they were given a timeline for the site and placed the order. The Burlington site had a permit applied 9/8/22. That’s 21 months ago so lots of lead time to get a transformer ordered and delivered. This site was applied for 10/20/23, over a year later. Not saying this will be turned on a year later but Burlingtons transformer was likely sitting at the utility yard for a few months waiting for the site to be far enough along to be installed.
Hope you're right, but then what's your current theory on the holdup?

I've read multiple times that transfomers are almost always a custom order, and that is supposed to explain why there's an endless backlog for years, because when someone orders one it's different and that takes a while to build. You'd think if there were a few common transformer types that could be used in many places, someone would build cheaper non-custom ones that could be shipped quickly. ... I should add, I don't really know anything about this other than random things I've read.

edit: I should have read that very article, which touches on some of these things. sorry.

This site has only been “dormant” for less than 2 months. My theory is the same as everyone else, there is no transformer so they are waiting for that. Sites are continuing to be built and turned on. This is one of those sites in progress so it will be finished. Be patient. If you don’t want to be patient, please don’t both us here and bother someone who can actually do something or give you the information you are seeking. The power company for this particular location. Call them, go visit them, whatever. Nobody here has the information you want. Just theories that you don’t seem to want to believe, which is fine, they are just theories, not facts. I wish I was on the supercharge team and got paid to answer questions on forums and provide information. But that’s not how Tesla works. So we are down to theories and what we can find online or by reaching out to those in the know. Not needing this site to be able to own a Tesla means that I don’t care enough to spend time tracking down this info so you just get theories. Sorry.

Check out this site. Similar timeframe for construction starting and stalls being placed and it just got turned on today. That means these sites are being finished. When you subtract all the common denominators you are left with the utility company.

Reactions: Astrochimp