Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sioux City, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Confirmation from a passing mention at a transportation advisory committee meeting in November 2020 that Tesla has shifted plans away from the prior location at the Hy-Vee and to the lot of Casey's gas station on Southern Hills Dr. The mention is referencing Tesla's application for planning approval for the new site some time before the November meeting. Assuming no big impediments to their progress, that timeline is consistent with at least starting construction some time in Q2 2021 which Tesla's map lists as their targeted opening date.

Address: 4727 Southern Hills Dr, Sioux City, IA 51106
GPS (guess): 42.440787, -96.346112

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright
Seems like a fine spot, with plenty of space. However, I don't see any good place for charging a Tesla with a trailer. Hopefully Tesla takes that into account for all future locations.

Seems like a fine spot, with plenty of space. However, I don't see any good place for charging a Tesla with a trailer. Hopefully Tesla takes that into account for all future locations.
That's really sad. I don't think Tesla has fully thought through the impending chaos that is going to ensue with CyberTrucks and Supercharging. Sadly the California bubble is a real thing.

Sioux City, IA

Along Primary Interstates: I-29
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-20, US-75
Along Auxiliary Interstates:

To: Sioux Falls, SD - 87.8 miles
Diversion: 3.7 miles
To: Fargo, ND (Permit) - 328.1 miles

US-20
To: Dubuque, IA - 298.5 miles

To: Dows, IA (US-20, I-35) - 163.5 miles

The prospects for I-29 seem to be improving.
If this and all other locations known are built, there'd only be the gap between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND to go.

One day the US Numbered Highways will also have Supercharger coverage, but, one step at a time.

That was July 2019.
Now:

Sioux City, IA

Along Primary Interstates: I-29
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-20, US-75
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-29

To: Sioux Falls, SD - 88.1 miles
Diversion: 3.6 miles
To: Watertown, SD (Permit) - 189.1 miles
To: Fargo, ND - 328.4 miles

US-20

To: Waterloo, IA (Permit) - 210.5 miles
Diversion: 0.5 miles
To: Dubuque, IA - 298.3 miles

Other neighbors:

To: Worthington, MN (US-75, IA-60/MN-60, US-59) - 101.4 miles
To: Dows, IA (US-20, I-35) - 163.5 miles
To: Shelby, IA (I-29, I-680, I-80) - 99.4 miles
To: Lincoln, NE (I-29, I-680, I-80) - 145.4 miles

A bit of change and some more detail.

Last edited:
Hey all. I’m new here as a Tesla owner in town. Picking ups my M3 Saturday. I see they already have the section fenced off
F3F36100-5758-411C-9119-FB5092AD383E.jpeg

Confirmation from a passing mention at a transportation advisory committee meeting in November 2020 that Tesla has shifted plans away from the prior location at the Hy-Vee and to the lot of Casey's gas station on Southern Hills Dr. The mention is referencing Tesla's application for planning approval for the new site some time before the November meeting. Assuming no big impediments to their progress, that timeline is consistent with at least starting construction some time in Q2 2021 which Tesla's map lists as their targeted opening date.

Address: 4727 Southern Hills Dr, Sioux City, IA 51106
GPS (guess): 42.440787, -96.346112

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright
Thanks for sharing, I should have been scanning their minutes on a monthly basis.

As others have mentioned, it's not a location that will be ICE'd. It will be convenient for those who are staying at one of the many hotels right around that area. And if the parking lot ties into the Holiday Inn's parking lot, there may be room for trailers to move around.

Two negatives: it's too far from restaurants and the stores. Any property on the north side of the highway would have been much better for that; similar benefit if it had been in the Target parking lot. Also, while great for those who travel Hwy 75, this is too far from I-29. I wish it was in the parking lot of Sam's Club as there are several restaurants in the area.

Also, while great for those who travel Hwy 75, this is too far from I-29.
Lol, what? It's less than 2 miles from the on/off ramps to I-29 (north or south) either along city streets or via Hwy 75. I mean, okay sure, it's comparatively more convenient to Hwy 75 than it is to I-29, but that fact doesn't somehow transmogrify it into being inconvenient for I-29 travelers.

Reactions: android04 and IdaX
This is definitely extremely convenient to either I-29 or Hwy 75 and not bad from 77. Unfortunately, it is not near any fast food (other than Casey's microwave stuff), making it a fairly bad location overall. Superchargers are only marginally useful at hotels - I much prefer a destination charger at a hotel so I can start out warm and at 100% in the morning. Superchargers, to me, are a place to eat or exercise but charging is getting so fast that its got to be nearby fast food or you'll have to leave mid-meal and, if the restaurant is far away, you might not have time to get back to your car.
I won't, however, look a gift horse in the mouth. I've been badly wanting this since 2014. Then, I had to use the Level 2 at City Hall in South Sioux City, NE to top off to be sure I could make it to Worthington, MN. There was a polar vortex that year and, in an S-85; uncertain extreme-cold range.
This will be awesome! We even have the 2 CHAdeMO backups nearby now!

This is definitely extremely convenient to either I-29 or Hwy 75 and not bad from 77. Unfortunately, it is not near any fast food (other than Casey's microwave stuff), making it a fairly bad location overall. Superchargers are only marginally useful at hotels - I much prefer a destination charger at a hotel so I can start out warm and at 100% in the morning. Superchargers, to me, are a place to eat or exercise but charging is getting so fast that its got to be nearby fast food or you'll have to leave mid-meal and, if the restaurant is far away, you might not have time to get back to your car.
I won't, however, look a gift horse in the mouth. I've been badly wanting this since 2014. Then, I had to use the Level 2 at City Hall in South Sioux City, NE to top off to be sure I could make it to Worthington, MN. There was a polar vortex that year and, in an S-85; uncertain extreme-cold range.
This will be awesome! We even have the 2 CHAdeMO backups nearby now!
Burger King is just across the street. HuHot, Applebee’s, and The Outback is a block away.

Reactions: android04
Burger King is just across the street. HuHot, Applebee’s, and The Outback is a block away.I
I happily stand corrected. BK and HuHot look great. Now its even more awesome!
I had only seen Outback and Applebees when I looked on the map. Sit-down meal 1 block away means you'll need to leave your meal on the table, walk a block, unplug, and (probably) drive back. Barely worth it.
This will probably warrant a road trip soon.