Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sioux City, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has a card reader. But I don’t know if that’s for some sort of Greenlots card or if you can use a credit card. I used the Greenlots app, which was easy enough. I just opened the app and typed in the station ID. Then it started charging.
The only trouble I ran into was getting the CHAdeMO plug to fit into the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. It REALLY did not want to connect. I’m not sure if the issue is just that both adapters were new, if the Tesla adapter is made a bit tighter than it should be, or if I did something wrong. I got it connected eventually, but it was very difficult.
As for the PlugShare app, it’s on there, I promise! It’s probably an issue of your filter settings. Make sure CHAdeMO isn’t filtered out in your settings. There are probably a few other settings that could prevent you from seeing it as well.

I had a similar issue when I was first testing my ChaDEMO adapter many moons ago. It took some forcing to get the ChaDEMO plug into the adapter, and it took me a while to realize that it was still out by about 1/8"; once I did that, it clicked in and connected; but then charge kept failing. That was because I'd backed in a bit too far, the adapter was pulling to about 7 o'clock angle. I propped it up on the bollard protecting the charging unit so there was no strain and it worked fine. Others have said it worked for them, so I assume having the Tesla end charger plug hang at an angle instead of straight down made the plug pins not contact right in the 3's chargeport. Apparently the car can detect bad contacts.

IIRC, I only got about 37kW max out of it; other commenters said that 50 was about the max ChaDEMO is designed for. And when it was done, it was difficult getting the adapter off the ChaDEMO charger plug... the opposite problem.

I only used it that one time. Perhaps you're right, with age and use it will become easier...

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
I had a similar issue when I was first testing my ChaDEMO adapter many moons ago. It took some forcing to get the ChaDEMO plug into the adapter, and it took me a while to realize that it was still out by about 1/8"; once I did that, it clicked in and connected; but then charge kept failing. That was because I'd backed in a bit too far, the adapter was pulling to about 7 o'clock angle. I propped it up on the bollard protecting the charging unit so there was no strain and it worked fine. Others have said it worked for them, so I assume having the Tesla end charger plug hang at an angle instead of straight down made the plug pins not contact right in the 3's chargeport. Apparently the car can detect bad contacts.

IIRC, I only got about 37kW max out of it; other commenters said that 50 was about the max ChaDEMO is designed for. And when it was done, it was difficult getting the adapter off the ChaDEMO charger plug... the opposite problem.

I only used it that one time. Perhaps you're right, with age and use it will become easier...

50w is max yes but the ceiling is amps, it's rated for 125a. If your battery is at a low SOC your charge voltage is also. Volts x Amps= Watts. Your charge rate will rise as voltage rises. I've occasionally seen 50kw from chademo but not very often unless i'm charging to a high SOC.

Does anybody know if the new Charge Point DC charger is up and running at the South Sioux City Hy-Vee? Charge Point just started showing it the other day, but it says “No Status.” The weird thing is, it also says that the charger has been used multiple times since 10-29-2020.
I’d love for this one to be up and running. I’ll be going to Sioux City again soon, and having a second DC charger in the area so that I have a backup would be comforting!

A user on Plugshare indicated that it has not been activated yet.

I recall reading about a problem many years ago - these small stand-alone ATM's. The manuals were apparently online. You can't get at the cash without an actual key, but someone figured out they hadn't changed the factory default setup code; so they went into the programming and told it that the 20's tray was actually 5's. Withdraw a large amount, get extra 400%. Change back. Similar case - someone programmed a self-serve pump to charge almost nothing per gallon. Apparently people were filling up all weekend on credit card and nobody mentioned anything to the attendant.

Reactions: starman27
South Sioux City, NE is now open. We used it Sunday. Its great to have redundancy in this remote but key location.
I've spent too many hours sipping off of the J-1772s there just to be sure we'd make it to Worthington.
IMG_1271.JPG

For the newbie to the Sioux City supercharger conversation, here’s the current situation: Construction on the Tesla SC has not been started. Tesla is still saying “Second Qtr 2021”, but who knows.
For now, the best you can do is Chademo. But luckily there are two (or so I’ve been told. I haven’t actually seen either one, but I trust those who have posted here before me):
HiVee, 2501 Cornhusker Dr, S. Sioux City NE
Kum and Go, 1005 Gordon Dr, Sioux City IA
On the supercharge.info map, you can add a Custom Marker (right click on the map) to make them easier to find later. (only you see your Custom Markers) Happy EVing!

For the newbie to the Sioux City supercharger conversation, here’s the current situation: Construction on the Tesla SC has not been started. Tesla is still saying “Second Qtr 2021”, but who knows.
For now, the best you can do is Chademo. But luckily there are two (or so I’ve been told. I haven’t actually seen either one, but I trust those who have posted here before me):
HyVee, 2501 Cornhusker Dr, S. Sioux City NE
Kum and Go, 1005 Gordon Dr, Sioux City IA
On the supercharge.info map, you can add a Custom Marker (right click on the map) to make them easier to find later. (only you see your Custom Markers) Happy EVing!

More details for the two sites are on PlugShare which document successful DCFC charges at both sites:
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Note that the Kum and Go (Greenlots) site has become more expensive, so the HyVee (ChargePoint) is a cheaper option.

I just found out that this specific site isn't happening from Hy-Vee, no details on why.

Confirmation from a passing mention at a transportation advisory committee meeting in November 2020 that Tesla has shifted plans away from the prior location at the Hy-Vee and to the lot of Casey's gas station on Southern Hills Dr. The mention is referencing Tesla's application for planning approval for the new site some time before the November meeting. Assuming no big impediments to their progress, that timeline is consistent with at least starting construction some time in Q2 2021 which Tesla's map lists as their targeted opening date.

A Tesla charging station behind the Casey’s on Southern Hills Drive was proposed with no sidewalk connections. Staff requested adding a sidewalk to the Casey’s store, and the petitioner was receptive to adding that.

Address: 4727 Southern Hills Dr, Sioux City, IA 51106
GPS (guess): 42.440787, -96.346112

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright