Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sioux City, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is definitely extremely convenient to either I-29 or Hwy 75 and not bad from 77. Unfortunately, it is not near any fast food (other than Casey's microwave stuff), making it a fairly bad location overall. Superchargers are only marginally useful at hotels - I much prefer a destination charger at a hotel so I can start out warm and at 100% in the morning. Superchargers, to me, are a place to eat or exercise but charging is getting so fast that its got to be nearby fast food or you'll have to leave mid-meal and, if the restaurant is far away, you might not have time to get back to your car.
I won't, however, look a gift horse in the mouth. I've been badly wanting this since 2014. Then, I had to use the Level 2 at City Hall in South Sioux City, NE to top off to be sure I could make it to Worthington, MN. There was a polar vortex that year and, in an S-85; uncertain extreme-cold range.
This will be awesome! We even have the 2 CHAdeMO backups nearby now!
I agree, I prefer a destination charger at a hotel, but having SuperCharger is better than nothing.

Lol, what? It's less than 2 miles from the on/off ramps to I-29 (north or south) either along city streets or via Hwy 75. I mean, okay sure, it's comparatively more convenient to Hwy 75 than it is to I-29, but that fact doesn't somehow transmogrify it into being inconvenient for I-29 travelers.
To be convenient for interstate travelers the superchargers should be within a few hundred feet of the exit (like gas stations), and this one definitely isn't. The one in Davenport isn't too dissimilar -- easily a 4 minute (one-way) drive to get to it to from I-80.

Burger King is just across the street. HuHot, Applebee’s, and The Outback is a block away.
You're crossing one or two streets to get there, which isn't bad if the weather is good. Would have been better if there was at least one restaurant that was in the same parking lot. I'm not trying to be Debbie-downer because I'm thankful to have a Tesla supercharger in Sioux City, but many superchargers I've been to are better-situated. And I'm not faulting the Tesla siting team, because this is probably the best they could come up after Hy-Vee fell through last year.

If you time it right Earl you can order your drink and meal then head to grab your car. Should have plenty of time to get the car and drive back over!
Thanks! I've played that game a few times. If I'm really traveling leisurely, I'll just charge first, then eat. If I'm trying to set a speed record, I will just rough-it with fast food. The great news seems to be that this location will support any approach very nicely.

Unfortunately, as an 85D, supercharging has never been slower.

Actually, it has been slower.
You should try a Roadster which maxes out at 240v/70 amps (~60bmph). However, compared with an EV1 that maxed out at about 240v/25 amps (~25 mph), even that was a big improvement. The Leaf, of course maxed out at 16 amps (~12 mph). The first S85s were even slower than the 85D.
Congratulations on being a pioneer though and, for a leisure trip, a good walk or meal will be nice at stops.
On the other hand, the Model 3 on a V3 Supercharger starts out around 1100 mph or about mach 1.5 !!!!

Reactions: starman27
I spoke with one of the Metro Electric guys onsite. He confirmed superchargers were coming. Said 7 stalls including a “truck” stall! They expect it to be done on 4-5 weeks.
A7A684D2-76F0-49CD-AF91-A665C2DE85E5.jpeg

Attachments

• 44021727-B836-4C19-B7FC-F615F2A696E8.jpeg
    44021727-B836-4C19-B7FC-F615F2A696E8.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 06480AF6-BC07-4CF7-BB26-283B0550B653.jpeg
    06480AF6-BC07-4CF7-BB26-283B0550B653.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DC074141-A9E2-4076-BB9F-84DC419C9E45.jpeg
    DC074141-A9E2-4076-BB9F-84DC419C9E45.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 59
I spoke with one of the Metro Electric guys onsite. He confirmed superchargers were coming. Said 7 stalls including a “truck” stall! They expect it to be done on 4-5 weeks.
Oh, excellent. They decided to pave some new lot space on the other side of that driveway/alley and put the station over there. That's much better than I had originally thought, when I assumed it would just be using some of the spaces already existing on the west side of that lane.

@Southpawmedic Thank you for taking the time to post the pics. Much appreciated. We have owned Teslas since 2013 and have seen the Supercharger Network grow over the years. For the last 3 years I have been anxiously waiting for a Supercharger location in Sioux City. This will make the drive to my in-laws as quick as with a ICE vehicle. So glad this is finally happening. And again....many thanks for the pics.

What is “orange cone time”?
It's a reference to the map at supercharge.info. Starman is asking whether the pictures showing the worksite are sufficient to trigger an upgrade of the Sioux City location marker from a blue dot, which shows a site is in pre-construction development (called "permitting" on the site even though it encompasses more than that strictly), to an orange cone, which shows that the site has started construction. I think so.

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright

• Helpful
Reactions: corywright
Ah I gotcha. What’s funny is a year ago when I was considering a Tesla I had looked at the map. It showed a location downtown. I drove down to that location and it was in an alley. I realized at that point it was just a placeholder. 🤦‍♂️
That was probably Tesla's map. For future locations, Tesla just puts a marker on wherever Google Maps puts the pin for the jurisdiction that best describes the supercharger location. So, if you use google to map directions from somewhere to "Sioux City", wherever google puts the destination pin, that's where Tesla's "Coming Soon" pin will go. The Supercharge.info map is different. It's not an official map from Tesla. It's a crowd-sourced site where people who track and follow supercharger network development keep tabs on what is independently known (meaning Tesla's pronouncements are ignored) about the status of various supercharger sites. So, it only lists sites if their exact address/location is known and if there is confirmation from outside Tesla that stuff is going on there. Usually, it requires some form of documentation/proof before a location gets added or status changed.