Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - South Padre Island, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spent an hour or so trying to find. Came at it from two directions.
Gave up. Charged 50 miles worth at Sapphire.

Here is a photo of the Supercharger (+ popo) with the Sapphire parking garage where you charged in the background. The Sapphire is right next door.

(source at https://photos.plugshare.com/photos/531477.jpg , credit to whomever posted it there; not me.)

SPadreSC_531477.jpg

I charged here at the end of December. First, there are 3 charger,s but only two working or hooked up. It looked like it was in a temporary location, pulled out from the hotel that is under construction. These 72kw chargers aren't bad. If you think about it, on V2 and V3 chargers, you are typically only over 72 kw for the first 15 minutes before your car slows it down based on % charged. I used these chargers in California when I was there on vacation in several locations, primarily malls or shopping centers.

According to the guy at the hotel, these are temporary. They are going to build a full bank of them sometime in the near future. So you won't have the odd positioning that these are in now. Because they are kind of in an odd position, and apparently easily ICE'd as one was when I was there a couple weeks ago. But the pin on the Nav in the car is very accurate and will lead you right to them.

upload_2020-2-10_10-0-27.png

Does anyone know the history of this location? It looks like at some point "Schlitterbahn South Padre" became "Beach Park at Isla Blanca". Was the Holiday Inn Resort hotel next door at some point part of a Schlitterbahn resort build out? Did they divest and sell off? If so, when? Just curious.
Seems like the 72kw temporary SuC was probably a stop-gap for a larger install? Glad it's still there in any case, but what happened here?

Does anyone know the history of this location? It looks like at some point "Schlitterbahn South Padre" became "Beach Park at Isla Blanca". Was the Holiday Inn Resort hotel next door at some point part of a Schlitterbahn resort build out? Did they divest and sell off? If so, when? Just curious.
Seems like the 72kw temporary SuC was probably a stop-gap for a larger install? Glad it's still there in any case, but what happened here?
I’m pretty sure the Holiday Inn was there way before the Schlitterbahn resort. As far as I know the Schlitterbahn park was quite a bit newer. And I see now that it shut down during the pandemic and has now changed names and hands I assume.

I think the Holiday Inn 72kW urban charger along with several destination chargers on the island usually handles the SPI traffic just fine as there are superchargers along major routes after leaving the island. However this SpaceX launch made it unavailable most of the time due to extreme Tesla demand.

I have not been expecting a larger install.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TexasDuke