TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - South San Jose (Location found, construction started Aug 2018)

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by jimmcq, Aug 10, 2018.

1. jimmcq

jimmcq New Member

Where I can find more info about this location?

Find Us | Tesla

San Jose (South), CA
    Target opening in Summer 2018

Currently showing on the corner of Capitol Expy and Monterey Rd in the 95136 zip code.

2. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Man... these threads... :D

Perhaps we should put in a request to Tesla to remove their BS supercharger map!

• Funny x 2
  3. jimmcq

jimmcq New Member

4. McManX

McManX Member

• The projected pins on the map are just projections, nothing more
    • The locations are not exact but just represent the VERY GENERAL area they could be, or where Tesla wants one (ie somewhere in south San Jose)
    • Sometimes they are on schedule, sometimes they are early, sometimes they are late, sometimes the pin disappears
    • Only Tesla knows, we know nothing

• Like x 1
  5. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

• There are hundreds of grey "coming soon" pins on the Tesla supercharger map
    • There is no concrete information about any of these locations
    • When someone creates a dedicated supercharger thread on here, people see the title and think "Oh good! News about <location>"
    • They open the thread to find it totally devoid of any new content, except for the fact that there is a grey pin on the Tesla map.. which itself is not news.
    Imagine this happening every few days

Bonus points - after the thread has been quiet for weeks, someone posts in one of them. "Oh good, an update!" *click* "Hi guys, any more news about this one?" *sigh*

• Love x 2
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Moderator note: I have clarified the thread title to indicate that no permit or location has been found for this Supercharger. It is fine to start a new thread for a Supercharger location that is indicated by a grey pin on the Tesla Find Us map as long as the name associated with that pin is a new name that Tesla has not used before. In this case, there is a grey pin for “San Jose” and a grey pin for “South San Jose”, so it seems clear that those will be two new Superchargers and not an expansion of an existing Supercharger. Sometimes the Find Us map has a grey pin that turns out to be an expansion of an existing Supercharger.

Carry on... :cool:

7. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Some of these fine folks are new to this party, I fully understand this type of thread popping up once in a while, let's be helpful. :)

• Like x 1
  8. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Haha, we are probably in the minority in that we are on this forum a lot, but this is exactly how I feel.

On top of that, I feel like I'm constantly explaining the meaning (or lack thereof) of the pins and the *precise* locations on the Tesla map.

• Like x 4
  9. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

It's up to you and it isn't a big deal to me by any means, but it might make more sense to keep these type of posts in the California speculation threads. OTOH, I can see the problem with doing that as well, in that you can't easily find those posts and stuff could get repeated a lot.

10. ecarfan

Yes and there are new people joining TMC daily given the large numbers of new Model 3 owners or potential owners, so let’s be patient with them.

• Like x 2
  11. comec0rrect

comec0rrect Member

Drove into this parking lot where the Bass Pro Shop is and saw a fenced off area with around 15 or so Supercharger transformers and a few loader trucks with dug up ground. Looked around and didn't see this location on Supercharger.info yet, but found the permit on the SJ website. I'll try to snap a pic the next time I'm at the gym (across the street).

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 12.38.53 AM.png

Attached Files:

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 3
  12. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

@BlueShift - looks like we have another San Jose location!

13. ecarfan

Nice find! Thanks for posting. Based on the Tesla “Find Us” webpage this is almost certainly the “South San Jose” location indicated on that map. I have revised the thread title.

My guess is this location will be the Urban style pedestals. We shall see...

• Like x 1
  14. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

Here are details from sjpermits.org:

15. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

16. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Great find, looks like a good location too.

17. Russell

I drove by there this morning. The stalls will be at the North East side of the lot.

I saw an open gate then parked about 10 spaces away. As I got out of my car, a construction worker closed the gate and watched me as I pulled out my phone. I pretended to fiddle with my phone then got back in my car. As I drove away I could see him watching me.

I guess someone else is going to get the 1st picture.

Supercharger 5160 Cherry Ave.png

• Like x 4
  18. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Hahaha. I guess you got a little trigger shy! What do you think would have happened if you just took a pic anyway?

19. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

• Informative x 3
  20. Russell

#20 Russell, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    I imagine he would come toward me and in an angry tone tell me I'm not allowed to do that. Didn't want to start my day like that.

• Like x 1