Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Southlake, Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P&Z's request for "evergreen trees" is needed for a modesty screen accounting for the lack of other nearby restroom facilities after hours. :)

I thought the "evergreen trees" remark was interesting. The P&Z commission was concerned about having 10 "Tesla billboards" at the charging site but those lighted pedestals are there to help owners find the stupid chargers in parking lots with bad lighting. Also the other board member that was concerned about the supercharger only working with one manufacturer. Watching the video I wanted to say "Tesla has openly said that they are willing to work deals to allow other manufacturers to use superchargers, but no other manufacturers have taken them up on it."

Other manufacturers make me sad...that's why I bought a Tesla. :D

Wow, that was painful to watch, for both the commission's responses/Q&A (specifically Mr. Panahy), and those from the applicant. Rick you did an awesome job of straightening things out and hopefully as a Southlake resident, you can continue to educate the commission.

We actually stopped by Southlake Town Square this past Sunday on the way to visit family in Colleyville (mainly to see the progress of the Tesla gallery), and this would be an ideal location for a SpC for those of us needing a charging option in NE Tarrant County.

We spent a lovely hour with Southlake's Planning & Zoning commission this evening and had the application deferred because questions relating to landscaping, building materials for the Supercharger enclosure, impact to the neighborhood across Carroll Avenue and other questions related to Supercharger experience couldn't be adequately answered.

The application was tabled to the next regularly scheduled P&Z meeting September 7

A representative from Black & Veatch was on at 12:25. I wound up getting called up at 39:00 ish.

August 17, 2017 Planning and Zoning Commission - Southlake, TX Item 9

Last edited:
Wow, that was painful to watch, for both the commission's responses/Q&A (specifically Mr. Panahy), and those from the applicant. Rick you did an awesome job of straightening things out and hopefully as a Southlake resident, you can continue to educate the commission.

We actually stopped by Southlake Town Square this past Sunday on the way to visit family in Colleyville (mainly to see the progress of the Tesla gallery), and this would be an ideal location for a SpC for those of us needing a charging option in NE Tarrant County.
I think things will be fine and we'll get this through the process. I'm sure the Commission and City Council will both ask questions that will make us cringe. They're both inquisitive groups and I haven't found any of their questions to be unreasonable. It's a great opportunity to help them understand more about electric cars.

And they did give us this over the weekend...

Southlake Proclamation NDEW 2017 Small.jpg

I’d love that, of course. Short-term, the challenge is a location that allows shorter-range cars to make the round-trip from McKinney and similarly distant locations.

Tesla may get asked to put in a Clipper Creek along with the Superchargers (like the new Austin SC), plus 2 of the Southlake garages have chargers. A quick stop at GV Mills for their DC fast charging is also feasible for folks needing range. Southlake's "ambiance" seems a better all-around location, particularly since the majority of ev's are Teslas anyway.

If the supercharger doesn't get approved it certainly doesn't make sense...

Reactions: s00nr1 and bollar
Bundling a J1772 into the project would be a great idea. A DCFC for non-Teslas would be even better but somebody would have to fund it. VW? And congratulations on landing the SC!
Southlake Town Square already has six ChargePoint J1772 spaces. The original two are supposedly among ChargePoint's busiest.

A DCFC would be cool -- in other markets, ChargePoint might do it, but it seems all of the DCFC in North Texas are EVgo. I wonder what it would take to get EVgo to install at a location other than a Walgreen's or Cracker Barrel?

• Funny
Reactions: thenaimis
Interesting that there is no “Southlake” listed on the “coming soon” page for supercharger locations. They did list Grapevine.

Assume this is instead of grapevine? Or in addition?
I think all of the pins on Tesla's page should be considered only directionally correct. I think of the Grapevine pin as "Northeast Tarrant County" and Southlake checks that box. I would be extremely surprised if we also got a Grapevine Supercharger seven miles away...

The Southlake Superchargers have escaped the Planning & Zoning purgatory and the Specific Use Permit application is on the way to the next City Council meeting for its first reading on Tuesday, October 3.

Video will be posted later -- the discussion was brief, as all of the Commission's considerations from the first visit were addressed.

Two Commissioners felt ten stalls was too many, so they asked the applicant to also be prepared to present a five stall version. Given the charging wait-time congestion that would create, my opinion is that is not feasible.