Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sparks, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still some testing going on
Yeah, here's from several hours ago with the Tesla Energy vehicle at the V4 stall:

sparks v4 stall testing.jpg

what's the coil (directly under those red lights)? does the cable pull out and spring back into the cabinet? coolant tubes?

The actual radiator looks to be down at the bottom, under the aluminum header - plastic isn't the best heat conductor.
Almost certainly coolant tubes - it appears to lead down to the radiator with some kind of a sensor (temperature/pressure/flow/???) in the plumbing.

I was going to go with Mrbrock's notion of a maintenance loop, seeing the two knobs on the silver panel and a couple rivets opposite, thinking that panel opens and swings to the right and the coil would flex to go along with it.

But I found
this link from auto evolution
with a better lighted picture (which also shows the silver panel opened), and realized that the coil is actually a pair of lines,
and that while the panel does swing to the right, it's just the panel and the lights opening, and the coil stays in place.

I was thinking it was electrical isolation for the coolant loop going to and coming back from the charging cable.
While the coolant is probably de-ionized water and some glycol and/or alcohol to provide anti-freeze protection, and that initially it has several megaohm-cm resistivity, over time contamination will build up and resistivity decreases, so to prevent shunting the high voltage DC through the coolant (heating it), they have the pair of isolation lines to lengthen the distance, increasing the path resistance to pre-compensate for coolant degradation, and avoid having to change coolant often/ever.

But even the autoevolution picture isn't that clear and I can't unambiguously trace the path of the coolant lines from the cable attachment place.

Then I looked at a Tesla patent for
Liquid-cooled charging connector
and this patent actually doesn't cool the cable, just the connector, and the coolant path is electrically isolated, and they even call out ethylene glycol or an electrically conductive liquid as coolants (end of paragraph 25), so obviously my first conjecture in incompatible with this.
They have another patent
Cooling of charging cable
that does cool the cable, but as I read it there are just coolant lines running alongside the electrical conductors, not with coolant in direct contact with the conductor like a lot of TIG welder cables.

So now I don't know what to think.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Was headed to Super Burrito for some breakfast burritos and saw the entire site online in my car’s nav. It changed to offline during my drive over, but there’s a Tesla Energy Model Y charging there currently!

Attachments

• IMG_9893.jpeg
    IMG_9893.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 55
Yep, we'll have to see if those prices stick or just a part of this V3 to V4 transition. So glad I have Free Supercharging for Life (FUSC).
yes, I guess you mean for the "life" of that car :) With those rates, I'm glad that supercharger credits are based on miles and not money. Us local people can pay 13 cents at home or even less depending on the subscribed program.