Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Springfield, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like they don't plan on fencing off the Supercharger cabinets, autotransformers, switchgear and such. It would be better and safer if they do.

A lot of recent installations seem to be open. Everything is locked with heavy duty padlocks, so the chance of injury or electrocution is pretty low, plus, a thief has unlimited time to pillage if he has a fence to hide behind. I think they only install fencing when it’s required for local code or aesthetic reasons. I personally prefer the open installations, as the superchargers make great hand warmers in the winter. ;)

Reactions: jthompson
Still waiting.

Attachments

• 0B209C75-9811-43B8-A9EA-C38A558C672E.jpeg
    0B209C75-9811-43B8-A9EA-C38A558C672E.jpeg
    690.5 KB · Views: 92
@Big Earl just don't want kids (of all ages) and dogs playing around them, going to the bathroom on them, leaving trash on them, etc. Having a fence, even a see-through one like at Woodbridge, VA provides another layer of protection. I am not worried about theft at this location, it is patrolled, lit at night, under video surveillance, and it should have insurance. Stuff is replaceable, lives are not.

Last edited:
@Big Earl just don't want kids (of all ages) and dogs playing around them, going to the bathroom on them, leaving trash on them, etc. Having a fence, even a see-through one like at Woodbridge, VA provides another layer of protection. I am not worried about theft at this location, it is patrolled, lit at night, under video surveillance, and it should have insurance. Stuff is replaceable, lives are not.
It’s a big ass mall I would put money on being ice’d unless they enforce Tesla parking rather than kids, dog, peeing..

38C5F047-546C-40F8-B4D6-5B35F79D26AA.jpeg
7A56D64A-9798-4073-960B-18F70D564041.jpeg
6398E019-B916-44F6-850B-81C1DAA2CE92.jpeg
2C2B2A0E-CDC5-4862-8862-35C2E6097CF9.jpeg
6A4BE591-DA6F-4F7F-A5B3-640AAC3B4A73.jpeg

More progress to report today: the Supercharger build crew appears to have completed their work and left the site.

A different contractor is here jackhammering an access hole to what appears to be the main electrical tie at the street. Utilities have been marked - all of the red indicates electrical.

In my next update, I hope to see wires pulled through the conduits for the main transformer. I suspect another crew is going to install the site lights (three poles) at a later date.

• Informative
Reactions: jthompson and vdiv
Did anyone catch the signage? It appears that we will be seeing ICEing. Not sure, if someone does please post, if all the SCs are 30 min “general” parking. As I understand it general parking is open to all cars including ICE. The Town Center is usually packed with weekends being insane. So it will be very likely we will find ICE cars in spots. I guess the big question is will the 30 min timeframe be enforced

Tesla has said that to instal SCs in public locations such a Malls the need to enter into agreements with the propert owners. Resulting in possible SC restrictions. This could include, simualr to what I understand the National Harbor SC location is doing, charge for parking at the SC. As a waiting for my M3 deliver, this is kind of a slap. I’ll be paying for charging and possibly paying for the conveaneance to do so.

Did anyone catch the signage? It appears that we will be seeing ICEing. Not sure, if someone does please post, if all the SCs are 30 min “general” parking. As I understand it general parking is open to all cars including ICE. The Town Center is usually packed with weekends being insane. So it will be very likely we will find ICE cars in spots. I guess the big question is will the 30 min timeframe be enforced

Tesla has said that to instal SCs in public locations such a Malls the need to enter into agreements with the propert owners. Resulting in possible SC restrictions. This could include, simualr to what I understand the National Harbor SC location is doing, charge for parking at the SC. As a waiting for my M3 deliver, this is kind of a slap. I’ll be paying for charging and possibly paying for the conveaneance to do so.

8 or 9 of the parking spaces will be general 30 minute parking. The others are signed as Tesla vehicles only. I posted pictures of the signage about two weeks ago.

Reactions: mservice

They have been pretty good about not using the 6 charge point spots by the Macys so I wouldn't be too worried. Plus these spots aren't necessarily close to the mall.

Reactions: mservice and vdiv
Thanks for the pictures Big Earl.

Looking at the pickup truck that looks like DA Foster logo. If so they are working with Dominion VA power. The Miss utility marks have them test pitting the ground before they directional bore over to the pad. The yellow mark is for a gas line, which they have to pit. Red is power.

It's progress on there part, but will still take time to get power on site.

had to detour to Harbor Place when the power went out in Grasonville SC. Was hoping this was on line.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Thanks for the pictures Big Earl.

Looking at the pickup truck that looks like DA Foster logo. If so they are working with Dominion VA power. The Miss utility marks have them test pitting the ground before they directional bore over to the pad. The yellow mark is for a gas line, which they have to pit. Red is power.

It's progress on there part, but will still take time to get power on site.

had to detour to Harbor Place when the power went out in Grasonville SC. Was hoping this was on line.

You’re correct; the crew was from DA Foster.