Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St. Paul, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
@Terrywood02 identified a new supercharger location to be built in St. Paul on the Supercharge.info forum: New SC in St Paul, MN

What: 12 V3 superchargers and some L2 stations to be installed in the NE corner of the Midway SuperTarget parking lot.
Address: 1300 University Ave W, St Paul, MN 55104

GPS: 44.954712, -93.154567

I've since confirmed it as a supercharger site by finding the building permit for the project which was issued today (2021-09-09) and which includes the number of supercharger stalls (12). Based on the recent permit issuance and the dig notifications posted in the SC.info forum thread--they identify September 13th for the start of digging--I expect this one to be in construction imminently.

St. Paul Building Permit #: 2020083476
Description: Tesla Supercharger – Installation of (12) superchargers and … new L2 chargers …

St Paul, MN_permit.JPG

@Chuq @MarcoRP @corywright

Lakeville is also one I would like to see, to cover the southern flank of the Twin Cities metro area. Target is a logical location, as is the movie theater. I would also like to see new locations in the Virginia area to cover the Iron Range, and also on the north shore, in the area between Silver Bay and Grand Marais.
Movie theaters don't make sense for superchargers, as they charge too fast. (idle fees) If thinking in terms of charging while you watch a movie for a couple hours, L2 would be the better route to go. No idle fees.

I'm not against more superchargers up the Northshore, but from a practical standpoint one SuC installation at Lutsen Mt. and resort is about the half way point between Duluth and Thunder bay, Ont. You can easily round trip to all locations north between Lutsen and the US/CA border.

I would want to see a SuC at Virginia (target) and International Falls to connect the (US-53) route to the further north locations of Kenora and Dryden Ontario.

Grand Rapids MN on (US-2) should have one too. People forget how deep the cold temps are in this region in mid-winter. (-20's and -30's F) are common. Range loss is a big factor up here. It makes sense to have at least a 4 stall setup in the lesser traveled areas.

" If you build it, they will come"

Movie theaters don't make sense for superchargers, as they charge too fast. (idle fees) If thinking in terms of charging while you watch a movie for a couple hours, L2 would be the better route to go. No idle fees.

I'm not against more superchargers up the Northshore, but from a practical standpoint one SuC installation at Lutsen Mt. and resort is about the half way point between Duluth and Thunder bay, Ont. You can easily round trip to all locations north between Lutsen and the US/CA border.

I would want to see a SuC at Virginia (target) and International Falls to connect the (US-53) route to the further north locations of Kenora and Dryden Ontario.

Grand Rapids MN on (US-2) should have one too. People forget how deep the cold temps are in this region in mid-winter. (-20's and -30's F) are common. Range loss is a big factor up here. It makes sense to have at least a 4 stall setup in the lesser traveled areas.

" If you build it, they will come"
4 stalls in the less traveled areas would be great, that's what I've been suggesting for years. Even urban 72 kw chargers to keep costs down potentially compared to V3 Superchargers.

Reactions: starman27
4 stalls in the less traveled areas would be great, that's what I've been suggesting for years. Even urban 72 kw chargers to keep costs down potentially compared to V3 Superchargers.
Their 72kW chargers would be ideal if they could be built more quickly and in more places. They seem pretty focused on V3s though.

What really irritates me is the availability of Chademo and CCS stations (albeit a lot are 50kW, not exactly fast, but theoretically useful in a pinch), and yet the only way to use them is with an expensive adapter. The stations should have the adapters on-site, rather than individual owners stowing adapters in their trunks...

Their 72kW chargers would be ideal if they could be built more quickly and in more places. They seem pretty focused on V3s though.

What really irritates me is the availability of Chademo and CCS stations (albeit a lot are 50kW, not exactly fast, but theoretically useful in a pinch), and yet the only way to use them is with an expensive adapter. The stations should have the adapters on-site, rather than individual owners stowing adapters in their trunks...
FWIW, people on here are pretty willing to loan out adapters if somebody needs one for a short period of time. I have one that I don't use super often.

I drove by this site and spotted the hardware behind temporary fences in the Target parking lot. There's a dozen or two 20' shipping containers in the same fenced-off area right now. These are likely residual from the Target redesign/reconstruction after the unrest last year. They'll probably need to move the shipping containers before any work can be done on the Supercharger site.

I drove by this site and spotted the hardware behind temporary fences in the Target parking lot. There's a dozen or two 20' shipping containers in the same fenced-off area right now. These are likely residual from the Target redesign/reconstruction after the unrest last year. They'll probably need to move the shipping containers before any work can be done on the Supercharger site.
The Midway store actually reopened pretty quickly after the unrest. Lake Street was the last to reopen, in November 2020.

Yea I was wrong about the shipping containers. When I went by the first time I was looking in the wrong spot. The shipping containers are in the lot farther out and closer to University, unrelated to the Supercharger. The Supercharger site is closer in to Target at 44.95450, -93.15492 or so.

Reactions: PStewart
Great progress here. All the pedestals and V3 equipment appear installed and getting wired. Could not see a transformer so that might need to be installed still along with meter (meter housing is visible). I like this setup with 6 chargers on each side of a center median. The stalls on each end are staggered.

Attachments

• CB8EE443-67A6-4882-ABD7-BC1AB999BEE6.jpeg
    CB8EE443-67A6-4882-ABD7-BC1AB999BEE6.jpeg
    635.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 99A9615F-AAF0-4B8B-AE2D-E12EA2A85ADE.jpeg
    99A9615F-AAF0-4B8B-AE2D-E12EA2A85ADE.jpeg
    830.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 47861FCE-CC62-4AC2-A87D-6612C5B4B79E.jpeg
    47861FCE-CC62-4AC2-A87D-6612C5B4B79E.jpeg
    789.2 KB · Views: 119
  • E6544FC1-4FD8-4462-BF33-3EC50909F368.jpeg
    E6544FC1-4FD8-4462-BF33-3EC50909F368.jpeg