Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Upgrade on S60 Help !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just bought my 2014 S60 and the garage said that I could get the supercharger upgrade by going to Tesla and paying for it.
So today I had it booked in for new maps upgrade and the charge cable to be replaced due to it not opening the charge door on the car and getting the car upgraded to super charger!
The service lady had booked it in as a super charger upgrade last week and i was shocked when she told me that they have been told my car can not be upgraded to supercharger but it might be but they don't know and that have to speak with some one at Tesla and this may take a week or so ?
I don't know what to do as i need the supercharger facility to drive the car longer distances or i will have to charge it with the standard cable for hours on end on any distance driving.
I have a feeling if they do come back and say NO it cant be done I am going to have to return the car to the garage saying it was miss sold! and then have to get my money back and find a car that does have super charging.
I am clutching at straws here in the hope that some one on here may be able to help one way or the other to confirm that it can or cant be upgraded or why not.
Thanks in advance.

Wait, you bought a car that would only fit your needs if it could be upgraded to support supercharging but you didn't check with Tesla prior to purchasing to see if the upgrade was actually possible?

As for whether or not it's technically possible... As far as I am aware, all 2014 S60s can have supercharging enabled. The hardware is already in place and it's just a software setting to enable it. That said, there could be a hardware difference in the European 2014 S60s that I'm not aware of.

Not that it really matters though. If Tesla is not able to or unwilling to enable supercharging on your car then you're pretty much stuck unless you can get the car to someone outside of Tesla willing to ensure the hardware is in place and activate it if so.

Wait, you bought a car that would only fit your needs if it could be upgraded to support supercharging but you didn't check with Tesla prior to purchasing to see if the upgrade was actually possible?

As for whether or not it's technically possible... As far as I am aware, all 2014 S60s can have supercharging enabled. The hardware is already in place and it's just a software setting to enable it. That said, there could be a hardware difference in the European 2014 S60s that I'm not aware of.

Not that it really matters though. If Tesla is not able to or unwilling to enable supercharging on your car then you're pretty much stuck unless you can get the car to someone outside of Tesla willing to ensure the hardware is in place and activate it if so.

Thank you for your reply as i said the Garage i purchased it from said it could be upgraded at a cost even in there advertisement for the car and I was happy to pay the cost for Super charging I booked it into Tesla and the service people said YES we can do that for you and even gave me the cost so i figured that it would be ok to be done. So as you can imagine i was rather taken aback when they actually had the car when they then said it cant be done and they don't know why ?

The service lady had booked it in as a super charger upgrade last week and i was shocked when she told me that they have been told my car can not be upgraded to supercharger but it might be but they don't know and that have to speak with some one at Tesla and this may take a week or so ?
Wow. I am sorry you got such terrible misinformation from someone at Tesla. With as fast as they have been growing the past few years, I think they just have lots of new people who don't know a broad enough or long enough history of detail about Tesla. Run it up the chain as high as you need to go. Every 60 Tesla has ever made can get Supercharging enabled if it doesn't currently have it.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Thank you for your reply as i said the Garage i purchased it from said it could be upgraded at a cost even in there advertisement for the car and I was happy to pay the cost for Super charging I booked it into Tesla and the service people said YES we can do that for you and even gave me the cost so i figured that it would be ok to be done. So as you can imagine i was rather taken aback when they actually had the car when they then said it cant be done and they don't know why ?

Have you tried doing it online? Go register your car on the mytesla page (start at Tesla SSO – Create Account )

Then add your VIN to your account to add the car.

Then look for the upgrade option on that car's page. You should be able to give a credit card and have the car update over the air in minutes. No service center required.

Have you tried doing it online? Go register your car on the mytesla page (start at Tesla SSO – Create Account )

Then look for the upgrade option on that car's page. You should be able to give a credit card and have the car update over the air in minutes. No service center required.

Wow what a great Forum all fixed and as you said, I already had an account but i had not put in my CC details so i did that clicked on supercharger update and it was as you say done in minutes.
As for growing fast I suspect that may be the case but i would have thought there tech people would have known that I could do the upgrade my self online.
Again thank you so much feeling a lot better now that I can at least travel around with out having to wait hours to charge tomorrow I will go find a super charger to try it out :) However it will be one close enough to get there and back in case it dosn't work :)

Didn't some of the early 60s require a physical update to add supercharging?

Didn't some of the early 60s require a physical update to add supercharging?

All the signatures and founders were 85s and I'm sure any that needed parts replaced were in one of those categories.

Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

2012 General Founders Series Model S cars, which are the first 24 (?) production cars begin production on June 22, 2012.

2012 General US Signature Series Model S cars, 1,000 in total are orderable and begin shipping on August 11, 2012. A special optional Signature Red exterior color was available only to these cars.

August 2012 General Supercharger capability becomes standard on the 60 kWh Model S in August of 2012. Supercharger capability was always standard on the S85 and S 85P models.

The 60 kWh Model S was announced to begin shipping in the Fall of 2012 but actually began shipping in the Spring of 2013.

2013 General Supercharger recharge capability becomes an option on the 60 kWh Model S in April 2013.
but that one would have the hardware and could upgrade online.

I maybe wrong but I don't remember a 60 that needed hardware upgraded outside of just a failed part that got a free warranty replacement.

It seems like the timeline has the first supercharger online before the first 60 shipped. But even if a 2013 shipped with a pre super charging module installed and needed an upgrade it'd likely be in California, not Europe. I'd expect a 2014 in Denmark to be fully supercharging capable (in terms of hardware) before it ever left the US.

Last edited:

Wow what a great Forum all fixed and as you said, I already had an account but i had not put in my CC details so i did that clicked on supercharger update and it was as you say done in minutes.
As for growing fast I suspect that may be the case but i would have thought there tech people would have known that I could do the upgrade my self online.
Again thank you so much feeling a lot better now that I can at least travel around with out having to wait hours to charge tomorrow I will go find a super charger to try it out :) However it will be one close enough to get there and back in case it dosn't work :)
All the signatures and founders were 85s and I'm sure any that needed parts replaced were in one of those categories.

Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

but that one would have the hardware and could upgrade online.

I maybe wrong but I don't remember a 60 that needed hardware upgraded outside of just a failed part that got a free warranty replacement.

It seems like the timeline has the first supercharger online before the first 60 shipped. But even if a 2013 shipped with a pre super charging module installed and needed an upgrade it'd likely be in California, not Europe. I'd expect a 2014 in Denmark to be fully supercharging capable (in terms of hardware) before it ever left the US.

Thanks for all the very helpful stuff its great that you can share it on here, i think from my experience at being able to upgrade it online and pay for it that you are quite correct in what you have said and that my car was already fitted with any hardware before it even got to Denmark. I am about to go and try out a supercharger in a minute just to see it work and put my mind at rest that it will do what it says its all part of the learning curve of getting used to my new dream car I knwo its not the fastest but its faster than anything else i have ever owned and its in my garage which is just perfect for me.
I will let you all knwo how the first supercharger experience goes.
Cheers.

Yes it works and I got to charge at Gracelands and visit the Memphis Mansion, in fact while i charged i phoned the Tesla Service Center to enlighten them how to do it in the future :) They had a good laugh i think. Thanks again guys for all your help.
IMG_2758.jpg IMG_2759.jpg IMG_2760.jpg IMG_2761.jpg IMG_2762.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker