Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Voting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suggested Twisp and Winthrop. The Destination Charger at Newhalem is pretty fast in a bind as long as you only need to get to Winthrop and not all the way south to Entiat
My votes went to (in no particular order):
  • Florence OR
  • Ucluelet, BC (Vancouver Island enroute to Tofino)
  • Kalispell MT (Flathead Lake area)
  • McDermitt, NV (Boise to Vegas)
  • McCall, ID
And my suggested site is Kingston upon Thames (London, UK) because there is a vast area of southwest London without a supercharger. Otherwise, I would have suggested any of the following:
  • Mazama or Winthrop WA
  • Pullman WA
  • John Day OR

I suggested Twisp and Winthrop. The Destination Charger at Newhalem is pretty fast in a bind as long as you only need to get to Winthrop and not all the way south to Entiat
Totally agree if you're just going across HW20 east. If you charge in Arlington then it's pretty tight getting back if you go for a hike near Cutthroat Pass, etc. Twice I've had to stop in Newhalem on the return trip for ~45min to give myself enough buffer to get back to Arlington. These are some of the fastest L2 chargers I've ever used (and FREE) but I much rather just do a 20min fast charge there and get all the way home.

I obviously wouldn't have this issue if I charged to 100% at Arlington but I end up charging to 80-85% because it gets so slow beyond that.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
Pretty interesting (maybe "telling" should be the word) that we are all suggesting similar places. I suggested Twisp (didn't see how to suggest more than one?), and voted for I believe McCall ID, one in Oregon, a couple of National Parks in Utah, and finally Montana near Glacier.

Reactions: IdaX
Does anyone know how they are using this data? Are they developing the top 10…just taking it under advisement…?
I was wondering that myself. I suspect that they will break it up by region/unit, and use the votes to rank on that level maybe. I doubt there will be a requirement for them to build to the vote, but it will give them an idea of demand (or what people think they want).

Seeing the votes for large metropolitan areas has me wondering if those votes are from people that live there and use those chargers daily, or if they are from people driving through.

Yeah, I'm also doubtful they'll quickly move to fill the top vote-getters, but I'm happy seeing some really hard routes like Glacier park high up on the leaderboard. They have telemetry for where Tesla drivers are, but I suspect there are a lot of routes like that where everyone just uses a second or a rental gas car to make the trip.

Reactions: Paul42
<snip>They have telemetry for where Tesla drivers are, but I suspect there are a lot of routes like that where everyone just uses a second or a rental gas car to make the trip.
I think you've hit on an interesting point here. It would be interesting to know where people are *not* going with their teslas. i.e. using the Tesla app, track where people are traveling while in another vehicle but not in their tesla. I would think that would be insanely useful for supercharger planning.

I think you've hit on an interesting point here. It would be interesting to know where people are *not* going with their teslas. i.e. using the Tesla app, track where people are traveling while in another vehicle but not in their tesla. I would think that would be insanely useful for supercharger planning.
The locations I voted for were for trips I want to take more easily - like to Glacier. The Bryce Canyon location would also be great. I went there over the summer and stayed at the hotel just outside the park with Tesla destination chargers and got lucky to have one because there were more Teslas than chargers in the lot.
I hope Tesla isn’t prioritizing chargers based on where they see Teslas already going.

Reactions: Paul42
I hope Tesla isn’t prioritizing chargers based on where they see Teslas already going.
Exactly--I've been saying that for years. It was so irritating hearing hyper Tesla fans spouting about Tesla's omniscience, how they already know where all of the Tesla cars go, so they KNOW where all the stations are needed. I had to keep reminding them that there was no possible data for Tesla to have when we had to leave it at home and take the other car because there weren't any Superchargers along the route.

Reactions: Genie and Paul42
Another way to tell where a SC is needed is to plan a trip in A Better Routplanner ap. Putting in Seattle (or Portland) to Las Vegas to Grand Canyon to Phoenix,which is a popular Snow Bird trip, the only leg that has an issue is Kingman AZ to Flagstaff which is only 145 miles but 3k elevation change. Showed you need to drive at no more than 60mph. This was usin LR MY, at 50 F, and 1 mile headwind. These numbers could easily be worse heading South in winter. Oh and the route actually makes you backtrack to GC from Flagstaff because it’s too far to go from the Kingman SC to the GRand Canyon SC. So vote for new SC at Seligman.