Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Washington, DC (Market Street NE)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't the first one there, but I bet I was the first one there from Arkansas. Or anywhere west of the Mississippi!

This is a pretty good location - lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. It'll be great once the pandemic phases out and we can be more comfortable eating out instead of squatting in our cars at the chargers.

Attachments

• PXL_20201127_162850293.jpg
    PXL_20201127_162850293.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 123
Anyone know why I can’t get anymore than 80kW/hr? Since this is a 250kWh max supercharger.

A. kW is the correct unit of measure for both instances.

B. Your state of charge (battery %) is too high to achieve maximum charging speed. 250 kW is only achievable for a brief period of time between about 10% and 20% state of charge, with a linear taper after that.

C. Your battery is probably too cold to get full charging speed. Outdoor temp shows at 58°F, so unless you precondition and drive for at least 30 minutes prior to charging, you’ll see lower speeds.

B. Your state of charge (battery %) is too high to achieve maximum charging speed. 250 kW is only achievable for a brief period of time between about 10% and 20% state of charge, with a linear taper after that.

C. Your battery is probably too cold to get full charging speed. Outdoor temp shows at 58°F, so unless you precondition and drive for at least 30 minutes prior to charging, you’ll see lower speeds.

I too am getting lower than usual kW charge. My charge started at 42% and temp is 60f. I don’t get more than 35kW. Under similar conditions I get between 40kW and 80kW at other chargers (usually Frederick and Hagerstown). I have tried 3 different charger stalls here and always in the low 30s. Hmm?

Great explanation. I wonder if in the future the vehicle can provide a graph that shows the vehicle SoC and rate of charge from the SC over time. Maybe it is something a third party--like StatsApp--can somehow integrate and display on a phone. It would help everyone understand more about how charging works.

from experience at other v3 Supercharging stations that have come online recently, I wouldn't expect v3 speeds right away. don't let that stop people from going to charge there, but Tesla needs your charging data to calibrate things.

if it's still this slow in about 2 weeks, then there may be a problem.

To set expectations, I feel like this particular location will serve a lot of local traffic rather than long distance travelers. As such, it will be very rare that someone actually gets the full V3 experience. Getting top charging speeds requires long distance driving - just preheating followed by navigating to the supercharger is not enough. In my experience, full V3 speeds often aren’t obtained until the 2nd charging stop on an extended trip. Sometimes I can get super fast speeds on the first stop of a trip in the summer, but never in cooler weather.

The real benefit of V3 is not the high peak, but the way it manages power distribution between vehicles. Unlike V2 locations where stalls are paired, V3 sites distribute power evenly to all stalls from all cabinets.

Great explanation. I wonder if in the future the vehicle can provide a graph that shows the vehicle SoC and rate of charge from the SC over time. Maybe it is something a third party--like StatsApp--can somehow integrate and display on a phone. It would help everyone understand more about how charging works.
TeslaFi provides those types of charts and data.

from experience at other v3 Supercharging stations that have come online recently, I wouldn't expect v3 speeds right away. don't let that stop people from going to charge there, but Tesla needs your charging data to calibrate things.

if it's still this slow in about 2 weeks, then there may be a problem.

Makes sense! I’ve charged here on 3 different days and precondition the battery each time. I’m not expecting 250k, but 70-80 is way too low with approximately 50% battery. I’ve charged at several 150k superchargers at similar circumstances, and alway get 100-120kWh. Hopefully this is due to a new location and calibration.

Totally full? Wow; I wasn’t expecting that.

There may have been one empty stall & the info that popped up when I selected the station also said 1 charger was unavailable - was quite surprised / pleased to get that rate. Your post above mentioning power distribution at V3s got me thinking that maybe a lot of the cars were later in their charging sessions, pulling less power therefore more kw capacity available when we plugged in

Reactions: vdiv
Hit almost 200kw here with the station completely full - tapered to ~120kw after a few minutes - impressive for a full station

added 45% in about 15 min (20% to 65%) & charged for 35kwh ($10.50 w tax)

37 deg F outside - had just driven to/from Baltimore & nav'd to station so battery was preconditioning on the way there

View attachment 619421
I stopped by this morning for a charge starting at around 13%. I pre-conditioned the battery for about 10min before arriving and never achieved a charge rate above 160kW and mostly hung around 100-120kW. I’ll chalk it up to limited pre-conditioning? I was the only one there for the entire session .
image.jpg

I stopped by this morning for a charge starting at around 13%. I pre-conditioned the battery for about 10min before arriving and never achieved a charge rate above 160kW and mostly hung around 100-120kW. I’ll chalk it up to limited pre-conditioning? I was the only one there for the entire session . View attachment 757808

Remember the battery pack’s mass is around 1,000 lbs and it must be over 40°C for full speed charging. 100-120 kW is pretty good for only 10 minutes of preconditioning. Full speed takes at least 30 minutes of navigating to a supercharger when the temperature is around freezing, more time if the temperature is lower.

Remember the battery pack’s mass is around 1,000 lbs and it must be over 40°C for full speed charging. 100-120 kW is pretty good for only 10 minutes of preconditioning. Full speed takes at least 30 minutes of navigating to a supercharger when the temperature is around freezing, more time if the temperature is lower.

Recently I've had preconditioning kick in more than an hour before arrival. Charging often hits more than 240kw.

Gotta warm up that battery!