Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Ranger just told me he got 4 working today at the wpg supercharger station. 2A to 2D.

Will be testing later today!
Good info but I don't think the rangers work on Superchargers. A ranger is a guy with training on Tesla cars, stocked with tools, supplies and parts relevant to the 3 car models and with some people skills.
The Supercharger techs have a different set of tools, supplies and training.

Yes, Thanks @Andy O I was there today 2C charged the car to 90% (40 minutes) from 17% - like a V2 charger ~ 150 Kw or ~1500 Km/h at the highest. Was nice.
Then stopped in at Portage for a $1.00 test and it worked like a L2 charger. Pretty slow BUT, better than nothing if needed.
I suspect they will fix both the second half of Winnipeg and all of Portage - Someday.

Chademo is $500.
I guess I should have purchased mine from you. The one I ordered from Tesla was $624.74. But, I really shouldn't have had to order it.

I don't blame Andy O for warning people not to buy a Tesla yet. I have told people how I love the car, but I bought it too early as the infrastructure is not quite ready for prime time. When it is and they get the V3 bugs sorted out, then I will recommend a Tesla, but not before then, if they want to use it as a road car instead of a great commuter car. Not everyone I know is prepared to buy a Charger for a hotel.

In the US, below the I 90/94 corridor I wouldn't hesitate recommending a Tesla. Above, not yet. Or, as far as that goes I wouldn't suggest any of the more inferior EV's either.

As for working outside in -30C weather, I have done it way too many times to enjoy it, but most of the work needed doing. Have even worked on gas pumps in the very cold. NOW, they have tents and heat. Back in the day, we did not enjoy those comforts.
SO, pretty easy for them to fix the chargers if they have the will, and a solution for the problems.

IMHO: Communication is the biggest problem with Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aceboogie
They were back in stock for half a day last month, then out of stock. Then for another half day they were back and I managed to order one before they were sold out. I posted my adventure at Deacon's Corner Petrocan
IMG_4209.jpg
- the heavy ChaDEMO cable was pulling down at an angle toward the front of the car and the charge kept failing. First the adapter wasn't connected to the charger cable firmly - about 1/8th inch gap, not clicked firmly in place. Then - something else. Eventually I propped the cable up on top of the bollard to relieve the sideways strain and it charged. Best charge was 37KW -242km/h so not bad at -3C. I assume the cable pulling toward the 7 o'clock position made for not-quite-correct full contacts on the important 450V pins. If I hadn't pulled in so far I probably wouldn't have need that.

• Informative
Reactions: Manitoba Keith
Two road trips in the last month:

First one Winnipeg - Kelowna

Second one Winnipeg - Minneapolis

CHAdeMO adapter has worked flawlessly, very happy I bought it. On the BC trip, I would navigate to the next Supercharger, then charge at the nearby DCFC for free. Pulled 50 kW on several occasions when battery at its warmest (would start off around 37 kW, then ramp up)

The adapter has nearly paid for itself already!

Successful charging on Saturday Jan.25 2020 It was a mild day, only got up to 35KW max (30-35 for the entire session) but I didn't get to pre condition for very long because of where I had lunch which was very close by and then I had a short drive to the supercharger. Very happy they worked as I live about 120km from Winnipeg and need this in the winter time. Used stall 2C in case you are wondering.

Two road trips in the last month:

First one Winnipeg - Kelowna

Second one Winnipeg - Minneapolis

CHAdeMO adapter has worked flawlessly, very happy I bought it. On the BC trip, I would navigate to the next Supercharger, then charge at the nearby DCFC for free. Pulled 50 kW on several occasions when battery at its warmest (would start off around 37 kW, then ramp up)

The adapter has nearly paid for itself already!
What route and charging did you do to get to Minneapolis?

What route and charging did you do to get to Minneapolis?

I've done this one a couple of times. I went Winnipeg to Fargo (Chademo) to Clearwater (Supercharger). It was winter, and it was tight in my 2017 S100d, but I could make it. Adding a stop in Grand Forks for lunch and a quick L2 charge should make it pretty easy. There is a new Chademo in Fergus Falls too. I haven't made the drive since it went live, but it should make things easier, for sure.