Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Woodburn, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Some photos of the Woodburn SC station in the works. The Tesla stalls will be under the Elmer's sign on the far end of the parking lot, away from the Blink stations. But they've got to get the power from the blink station area across the parking lot. Apparently they broke their drill digging through the red clay."

It might be hard to believe that there are folks that do not have a facebook account, but there really are.:biggrin: No twitter, either.

Would someone be good enough to share the essence of the item? Thanks.

Hey-- The Teslamotorsclub.com site doesn't have a mobile app... so I couldn't post as easily.... here they come...

- - - Updated - - -

drilling-ditch-to-power.jpg
stalls-2.jpg
blink-station.jpg
access-ditch-to-power-near-blink.jpg
stalls-1.jpg
elmers-sign.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So here's the quick summary of what I discovered.

1) Same crew that did the Centralia and Burlington Stations...
2) There are 2 blinks stations in the west corner of the lot next to the Elmers. That's where the "power" is, and so they need to dig a trench/hole under the parking lot to where the Tesla chargers will be. They "broke their pipe" while they were digging and so they need to start digging again with a new pipe... apparently this is a common problem with hard clay soil.
3) The Tesla chargers will be in the far east corner of the lot.
4) The Elmer's is a pretty reasonable place to grab a bite... they have an extensive menu, and serve breakfast all day. They also have a full bar, if you're into that sort of thing... but I'd recommend not driving afterwards. ;)
5) Starbucks is also next door. As well as Arby's.
6) Outlet malls are within easy walking distance.

That is all!

So here's the quick summary of what I discovered.

1) Same crew that did the Centralia and Burlington Stations...
2) There are 2 blinks stations in the west corner of the lot next to the Elmers. That's where the "power" is, and so they need to dig a trench/hole under the parking lot to where the Tesla chargers will be. They "broke their pipe" while they were digging and so they need to start digging again with a new pipe... apparently this is a common problem with hard clay soil.
3) The Tesla chargers will be in the far east corner of the lot.
4) The Elmer's is a pretty reasonable place to grab a bite... they have an extensive menu, and serve breakfast all day. They also have a full bar, if you're into that sort of thing... but I'd recommend not driving afterwards. ;)
5) Starbucks is also next door. As well as Arby's.
6) Outlet malls are within easy walking distance.

That is all!
Hey ZappoMan - pleasure to meet you - we talked in the parking lot...

I took pictures as well, will need to check if I have anything that you didn't already cover.
One interesting thing that the crew mentioned to me when I talked to them was that they expected this to take only about 2.5-3 weeks. They were certain they would be ready "before the end of August, if not earlier". (of course I really need that Supercharger on Aug 20 and that seems somewhat aggressive a timeline...)
For me the highlight is #5 above. Starbucks (or other coffee shop) is the main thing I tend to be looking for when planning a charging stop.

It is cool that Elmer's is right there. The owner is a Tesla fan.

The owner of Elmer's in NW Oregon was at Tesla Motors forums frequently well over a year ago. He was hanging out in the forums trying to figure out how to accommodate the new Model S.
At that time, we didn't even know enough to offer help of any substance because the cars were not out yet and there wasn't much charging info available.

He was looking into buying his own charging stations so that Tesla owners could charge at his restaurant. It looks like we are witnessing karma in action!
If only he could get one or two at his restaurant that is across the highway from PIR (Portland International Raceway), then we'd really have something!

Ok, here are a couple of additional pictures - they don't provide a lot more than what ZappoMan posted, but hey, I drove all the way to Woodburn just to take these pictures, might as well post them :)

This is showing the Supercharger site - Elmer's to my left, Arby's behind me.
IMG_20130731_162524.jpg

This is the view from the other side, now looking towards Arby's - you can clearly see the spots where the chargers will go.
I counted only seven parking spots - kind of an odd number (in so many ways).
IMG_20130731_162404.jpg

@zappoman, Hey Brad, welcome to TMC forum! Great name that well predates MS ownership.

@ORWA, yeah, the permit called out 12 but 7 is really weird given that 2 stalls usually share some of the charging equipment. Maybe this will be a MxN balancer (7x4?).

Whoa - 2.5 to 3 weeks is great. Not soon enough for my drive to Canada this weekend, but good enough for the trip home. I'm glad they are starting on the Fall superchargers now. 54 new chargers for the Fall would not be credible if they weren't starting now.

Woodburn supercharger. Great! Now... any knowledge of any others that are underway in either the now or summer map locations? I keep thinking that Ellensburg and at least three or four others should be breaking ground somewhere???? The crew that installed Burlington is and ADK crew... where are they? Just anxiously awaiting any fresh news that other SCS's are underway..... ;)

Whoa - 2.5 to 3 weeks is great. Not soon enough for my drive to Canada this weekend, but good enough for the trip home. I'm glad they are starting on the Fall superchargers now. 54 new chargers for the Fall would not be credible if they weren't starting now.
Yeah, they were overly optimistic on the first round of SCs but looks like they are hitting their stride with the Florida SCs getting done as well as the 2 WA ones. I believe they have about a 5 month planning cycle for a given installation and an expedited cycle of 3 months. This article goes into a lot of detail. I think Woodburn is not on an expedited cycle so construction should take 5 weeks. Assuming the Woodburn SC construction has been going for 1 week already, it looks like it will be done Aug 28. Maybe a little sooner than that because the ADK crew seems to have SC construction figured out. I hear Pizza helps.

Woodburn supercharger. Great! Now... any knowledge of any others that are underway in either the now or summer map locations? I keep thinking that Ellensburg and at least three or four others should be breaking ground somewhere???? The crew that installed Burlington is and ADK crew... where are they? Just anxiously awaiting any fresh news that other SCS's are underway..... ;)

Drove through and charged at the HPC in Ellensburg this morning, and scoped out what might be likely sites near the two I-90 exits. Did not see any signs of early construction. There are clearly lots of typical options there, but it is anyone's guess where they will go. I also looked through building permits for the City of Ellensburg and found nothing as of July. It might still be in the planning and negotiation process.

Though, ADK did Burlington and Centralia in parallel so it wouldn't surprise me if they get started on Ellensburg before Woodburn is done.
From my conversation this is the crew who did Centralia. So the Burlington crew might already be at work somewhere else...
Someone should visit them, bring some pizzas and ask.
Sadly I just boarded a plane to Europe or I'd do it Monday...