Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Yermo, CA (LIVE 21 Nov 2017, 18 V2 Stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EW in Beatty is not 24/7 fwiw.

True, but Beatty is a very small town on a lightly-traveled two-lane highway. This site in Yermo is on one of the busiest point-to-point travel routes in the country - SoCal to Vegas. I have seen cars heading southbound on I-15 into Barstow at the end of a holiday weekend, backed up for 10 miles. To close this place at night would be throwing money away, compared to Beatty where the highway is essentially dead after dark.

Reactions: rpez021 and Zoomit
During the day, I would still go to Barstow just for the reason it has more selections to go through while waiting for the charging to be done (ie: In-N-Out, The new Asia Food Plaza, Arby's, Chili, etc)

At night, maybe Yermo might be better since it is at a visible area with a gas station. Might be safer.

Baker, I'll just stop because of Alien Jerky ahhaha

• Funny
Reactions: rpez021
During the day, I would still go to Barstow just for the reason it has more selections to go through while waiting for the charging to be done (ie: In-N-Out, The new Asia Food Plaza, Arby's, Chili, etc)

At night, maybe Yermo might be better since it is at a visible area with a gas station. Might be safer.

Baker, I'll just stop because of Alien Jerky ahhaha
I am also thinking that Yermo maybe safer than Barstow for the same reason that you just said. Fewer choices means fewer people loitering around. Barstow has a denser population (24,000 vs 1,900 in Yermo) with some unsavory locals and places for criminals to quickly hide. Not so much Yermo. No reason for most people to go there except for those passing through.

And besides, the jerky at Meadow Farms in Bishop is far better. Hands down.

On the afternoon of Saturday 9SEP17, Yermo was looking complete, except for a fence around the equipment and some tidying up of the landscaping. All of the Charging stands are uncovered and shined up. I was hoping to be first, but....... Here are the photos:
IMG_6767.JPG

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

O.K., maybe only one transformer. Glad to see a bidirectional battery pack on site. I also think this site needs solar canopies over both rows of charging stalls immediately. In the southwest there is endless sunshine. Tesla needs to take full advantage of the sunshine ASAP. Possibly, Tesla is designing a canopy implementing the newest solar roof tiles they are beginning to produce at the
Tesla solar tile production facility in New York. Let's hope so! This may lead to a very attractive solar canopy here, Baker CA, Kettleman City, Ca etc. for starters... and then maybe gorgeous canopies over many other locations as well.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
Possibly, Tesla is designing a canopy implementing the newest solar roof tiles they are beginning to produce at the Tesla solar tile production facility in New York. Let's hope so!

I highly doubt it. Those are for residential applications. It makes sense to use the standard higher efficiency large solar panels for Supercharger sites.

I can see two reasons why Tesla might not be doing this:
  • Landlords may not want it.
  • The shady spots may promote ICEing.

I wonder if it can be up and running at the end of SEPT when i head to vegas.
The location of this Super Charger is at "Eddie's World" which is currently also under construction and not yet opened. There is a construction fence around the entire facility. My guess is that the Superchargers likely won't be accessible until the "Eddie World" grand opening.

• Informative
Reactions: smilepak
The location of this Super Charger is at "Eddie's World" which is currently also under construction and not yet opened. There is a construction fence around the entire facility. My guess is that the Superchargers likely won't be accessible until the "Eddie World" grand opening.
A good guess. At the very least, based on what I recall from Napa, they'll wait until the paving and striping are done.