Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1A definitely does not work. I also used 2A this weekend, and it worked ok. However, someone was also on 2B at the time. They are laid out in pattern (from right to left) 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B. I think.

I saw my charge rate max out at 50kW (but again, it may have been shared), and then I walked away, so I don't know what it ended up peaking at. It charged to 100% in about an hour from about 40%.

I was in a rush and it was daytime, so I did not check which ones were lit up. But it seems based on posts above that likely 2A, 3A, 2B, 3B are working right now. I thought I saw someone plugged into 4A when I came back though? (Not sure.)

Definitely an important Supercharger to have working for San Diegans, for optimizing Supercharging time. El Centro is incorrectly positioned from San Diego for optimal charging, requiring a charge there to at least 90% to make it to Gila Bend in ideal conditions. (P3D+) The Yuma is essential for the "quick" topping charge, as you should be able to target 5% arrival there traveling at a good speed if you start with a full charge in San Diego.

The Nav system will not navigate to the Yuma Supercharger automatically. You have to manually select it. When I did this manual selection, the Nav screen told me "Supercharger is Temporarily Closed."

Currently, I would say it's a little risky, but you can probably count on it, but you may have to deal with slower charging (50kW?). It's possible you'll see better. If it doesn't work you're in trouble, of course - you'll be waiting on J-1772 for long enough to get you back to El Centro or to Gila Bend.

Should really move this discussion to the infrastructure forum... Anyway, I visited last weekend.

Service is limited, perhaps half the chargers work...maybe at limited kW

Coming from the east in a Model 3, though, you don't usually need to really stop at Yuma. I guess it saves you a little charging time in Gila Bend to ensure you can make it to El Centro, but to get to San Diego, you have to charge pretty high in Yuma anyway. So you're either charging high in Gila Bend and skipping Yuma, or charging high (80-90%) in Yuma so you can skip El Centro. Not sure which strategy is the most optimal (if you could actually rely on Yuma operating at 150kW).

This guy has a better idea of which ones work than I do, since he was there at night. The numbering of the stalls confused me and I was in a rush - for sure 1A (the first one) is broken though.

Supercharger - Yuma, AZ

Last edited:
I was just there, the one on the far right worked great for me.

This is odd. This one was dead for me a week ago. Would not even open the charge port door (I assume the TESLA was not lit up).

Tried 4 different stations at Yuma supercharger Saturday including those mentioned as working with no success. Was able to make it to El Centro which was busier than I had ever seen.

Strange. Glad you made it.

I was able to charge to 100% in Yuma on the second station from the right a week ago. Sorry it did not work for you.

Seems like a poor assumption.
why would that be a poor assumption?
1. why would they switch the in car nav from closed(limited availability) to fully open
2. why would a station that not work, magically start working?
3. Thursday when I was using the only car using 4A the phone app said 1/8 stalls available and Friday it showed all 8 stalls before i arrived

if your responses was sarcasm thhen please forgive me, but otherwise i would like to hear why it is a bad assumption that they would be fixed now regarding what I have seen above.

why would that be a poor assumption?
1. why would they switch the in car nav from closed(limited availability) to fully open
2. why would a station that not work, magically start working?
3. Thursday when I was using the only car using 4A the phone app said 1/8 stalls available and Friday it showed all 8 stalls before i arrived

if your responses was sarcasm thhen please forgive me, but otherwise i would like to hear why it is a bad assumption that they would be fixed now regarding what I have seen above.
You know what they say about Assumptions.;)

1. There is no particular pattern or criteria we know of that Tesla uses to call a station "limited availability" not all stalls need to be working for it to be "open"
2. Stations are sometimes intermittent, deliver low power or work on one car but not another.
3. The availability in the app and on the nav is notoriously unreliable.

Reactions: mociaf9 and PLUS EV
There are multiple reports on PlugShare that this site has been repaired and ALL chargers are working. One person seems to have some inside info and reported that they were told that the site has been successfully fixed. Thank goodness! Now I can go visit San Diego again :)

Appears that the ENTIRE site ended up failing, which prompted Tesla to (finally) do something. Multiple people reported being stuck in Yuma and looking for a place to charge. Now they have fixed all the stations.....finally! Phew, been broken for months!

Thanks to Tesla for fixing this site! THANK YOU!!!

Reactions: ybbor and tmoz
Visited today and found 3A dead. 4A and 1B got up to 25 but there were other vehicles on on the paired number so I'm not sure if the sharing caused the low rates. We ended up using 3B which got up to 67kw. The time was around 4pm and each charger handle was very hot to the touch. Another driver arrived and called. After about 20 minutes on the phone, he plugged into 3A. As we drove off, the map showed 1 of 8 chargers out of service so I believe his call updated the map at least.

Visited today and found 3A dead. 4A and 1B got up to 25 but there were other vehicles on on the paired number so I'm not sure if the sharing caused the low rates. We ended up using 3B which got up to 67kw. The time was around 4pm and each charger handle was very hot to the touch. Another driver arrived and called. After about 20 minutes on the phone, he plugged into 3A. As we drove off, the map showed 1 of 8 chargers out of service so I believe his call updated the map at least.
If you cool down the handle with a wet towel, it will often charge faster.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz and smartypnz
We stopped at this Supercharger as our first stop after starting from San Diego and headed to Tucson. These were not fast chargers by any means, but if you plan to walk the old town main street, you wont be in a hurry.

I had researched the area the night before and found that there is actually quite a bit to see just a block away. The supercharger was empty when we arrived and we walked the 8 minutes towards the old town area with our two dogs, finding a bunch of grass along the way - a rare find at Superchargers in southern Arizona. Upon returning, we saw 2 other cars in stalls, the same 2 cars we would see at other chargers along the way.

We ate lunch at a great brewery called Prison Hill Brewing Company. Great beer selection, and pretty decent food. Bathrooms available inside.

On our return back to San Diego, we tried the Pint House which is across the main street and also found it to be a good waiting spot.

Yuma was quiet, partly because of the Thanksgiving weekend, but also because of the pandemic and a lot of stores being closed. But its worth checking out the downtown area.

Reactions: CO_MY