Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would be excellent. Congratulations to Mariposa County for their forward thinking and for taking the initiative to contact Tesla. I sincerely hope that Tesla will give this serious consideration. A refreshing change from other communities that have been more obstructionist.

Actually, thanks should be to given to Steven and Rosemarie Smallcombe, residents of Mariposa County. They live east of Mariposa and purchased a Model S in '13. I think Rosemarie initiated contact with Tesla Motors, if I read the email correctly.

This is the speculation thread, right? Just throwing this out there... Up until last week, Bass Pro Shops had three locations in California -- Rocklin, Manteca, and Rancho Cucamonga. Last week's grand opening of the San Jose (Almaden) location makes it four. What are the chances of seeing a Supercharger location near there? Manteca and Rancho Cucamonga have Superchargers just across the parking lot. Rocklin is a bit further (same freeway exit, but that is because it is a Service Center location. Before seeing Mountain View and San Mateo, I would've thought there would be no chance but now I'm not so sure. This is right off 85 near 87, but I think maybe 85 near 17 would be better for Bay Area to Santa Cruz travel on 17 and would give another route to the Monterey/Seaside peninsula and Supercharger.

As regards the Bass Pro shop in San Jose. I know they are looking for something on the 85 corridor but the Almaden/85 interchange area is REALLY congested. They know that too. It has been improved a bit since Bass went in, but still bad. That being said... never say never!

Am I the only one interested in new possible locations?

Far from it! That's why I keep track of changes to the "Today" and "2016" maps (and "2015" last year) on Tesla's website on a regular basis, about weekly, and capture changes by keeping a copy of the large resolution image in my photos library.

For example, take a look at this thread - it would not been possible if I wasn't doing the above.

Interesting. The 2016 map on the Tesla site now shows a new pin I haven't seen before west of Gilroy. I guess that would be around Santa Cruz, although I wouldn't have expected such a thing.
The Tesla Supercharger map at Supercharger | Tesla Motors is not nearly precise enough to conclude where that coming Supercharger is likely to be located within about a 25 mile radius. It might be in the San Jose area, that is my guess. Santa Cruz seems unlikely.

I'd say so. In addition to Napa it looks to me like one west of Petaluma, one north of San Mateo (perhaps in San Francisco?) and one south of Mountain View.
IF you look at the files directly, and compare them (I open them in two browser tabs, and cycle with keyboard shortcuts), am not entirely convinced new SCs are coming to the Peninsula.
Look at the 2015 map, and identify the current SCs:
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ercharger/maps/2015-northamerica.jpg?20160331

Then quickly switch to the 2016 map:
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ercharger/maps/2016-northamerica.jpg?20160331

Am seeing one in Santa Cruz. The one north of San Francisco. How about you guys?

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
On the contrary, I'm seeing like 3 new ones in addition to the two you mentioned. Since they all overlap you need to count the rings at the top of the markers. Here it is blown up with a circle drawn from Mountain View to Petaluma:

Current.png
2016.png

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
The only evidence we have found for a South Lake Tahoe had been this map dated September 2014 from El Dorado County showing a "potential install" in 2016. I stumbled across this presentation from Tesla which on page 19 lists superchargers to be installed around Nevada in 2016 including Reno, South Lake Tahoe, Hawthorne, Tonopah, Beatty, and Las Vegas 2. Considering that three of those stations are online and a fourth is in progress, there is good reason to believe that the South Lake Tahoe supercharger will be coming soon.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
The only evidence we have found for a South Lake Tahoe had been this map dated September 2014 from El Dorado County showing a "potential install" in 2016. I stumbled across this presentation from Tesla which on page 19 lists superchargers to be installed around Nevada in 2016 including Reno, South Lake Tahoe, Hawthorne, Tonopah, Beatty, and Las Vegas 2. Considering that three of those stations are online and a fourth is in progress, there is good reason to believe that the South Lake Tahoe supercharger will be coming soon.

By the way, the map you're showing from El Dorado County was updated in December of 2015. Roughly the same information though. Although, early this year I spoke with a representative from El Dorado County's Air Quality Management District, and he mentioned the that the site originally proposed for South Lake Tahoe was somehow rejected after the initial site survey and they were looking for a new location. I haven't gone back since to get any new information, but Tesla was going to be looking for a new site. They seemed to think they were still planning on a 2016 build though.

Reactions: emupilot