Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa, big update to the map following the blog post this morning: Find Us | Tesla

Added a fourth upcoming one in San Francisco, one in South San Francisco and I don't remember seeing San Carlos and Half-Moon Bay last time around. And plenty more, like Mendocino and Laytonville up the coast.
This is great! Just needs to ship.

Filling in the urban areas (if indeed these happen): Walnut Creek, Oakland, Richmond, Castro Valley, Milpitas, are new in the East Bay. Santa Clara, Palo Alto, Campbell on the Peninsula / South Bay. Merced and Visalia are new in the San Joaquin Valley to bolster CA-99 travel. These are just the pins I clicked on that I hadn't noticed before, all with 'by the end of 2018' wish dates.

Of course we're still waiting for a bunch of "by the end of 2017' sites. :)

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
there are now four future SC sites for the city (Mission, FiDi, SOMA and unspecified SF). High likelihood in my mind, after today's announcements about the 72kw urban chargers that each of these sites will feature these sleek new chargers for urban dwellers and folks going shopping in the city. there will most likely be a parking fee to access the structures, maybe tesla is negotiating some sort of parking validation for tesla owners only.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
I had thought that the San Carlos site was the proposed new Service Center at Veterans and Whipple, which is actually Redwood City.

However, there is a huge amount of construction going on in San Carlos and the new Wheeler Plaza (at San Carlos Avenue and Laurel, which matches the pin exactly) has a sign that says '6 EV Charging stations' - so maybe there? They are still working on the underground parts, so it will be late next year as well before it is ready.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fedderman
there are now four future SC sites for the city (Mission, FiDi, SOMA and unspecified SF). High likelihood in my mind, after today's announcements about the 72kw urban chargers that each of these sites will feature these sleek new chargers for urban dwellers and folks going shopping in the city. there will most likely be a parking fee to access the structures, maybe tesla is negotiating some sort of parking validation for tesla owners only.
Yup, I fully expect parking fees to be a thing: there is very little free parking in cities, or whitespace where you can plop a Supercharger site on your own land.
Chicago seems to have worked out a $5/45 minutes rate for that urban site: 2017 Supercharger Plan: New Chicago city location?

Unless this gets setup in a parking you already have access to, this will not necessarily solve the condo/apartment dwellers challenge. I am one of those.
But this is great for folks that drive in to the city to shop.

Yup, I fully expect parking fees to be a thing: there is very little free parking in cities, or whitespace where you can plop a Supercharger site on your own land.
Chicago seems to have worked out a $5/45 minutes rate for that urban site: 2017 Supercharger Plan: New Chicago city location?

Unless this gets setup in a parking you already have access to, this will not necessarily solve the condo/apartment dwellers challenge. I am one of those.
But this is great for folks that drive in to the city to shop.

i think the parking fees are great for killing local usage for folks that can charge at home - finally a "cover charge" to use the otherwise free supercharger.

Reactions: Blu Zap and e-FTW
Based on the latest Tesla Supercharger map update, it seems to me that in a couple of years there are going to be so many Supercharger locations in California that people won't even bother starting a thread about a new location, it will be a non-event. Us old timers will fondly look back on the days "long ago" (meaning maybe 5 years) when a new Supercharger site was celebrated and owners anxiously monitored the construction progress. That will seem like ancient history. :cool:

Based on the latest Tesla Supercharger map update, it seems to me that in a couple of years there are going to be so many Supercharger locations in California that people won't even bother starting a thread about a new location, it will be a non-event. Us old timers will fondly look back on the days "long ago" (meaning maybe 5 years) when a new Supercharger site was celebrated and owners anxiously monitored the construction progress. That will seem like ancient history. :cool:
This quote from their recent announcement supports that:

"However, for customers who use their car for long distance travel, there is a growing network of Superchargers located along highways on popular driving routes."
As you can see, no rationale is given for the type, kind, quality, angles, ideas, and metaphor(s) used in selecting locations, as they had to do in the past when there were a small number of SuperChargers. Now, they simply state a very vague "on popular driving routes". Now that they pretend the particulars of where the SuperChargers are located, they are implying that there are so many placed in so many places, that it doesn't matter where they are any more, which can only mean that they think that they are sufficient (in a 4 dimensional sense of timespace, which means that they feel they've caught up with the current demand and will continue to do so for the near term).

When I looked at the revised map on Tesla's website, I did not notice a gray pin in the area around Susanville. [Sigh.]

It seems to me that this would be a key location for traveling north of Reno or Truckee to Central Oregon via either Klamath Falls or Mt. Shasta. US395 north of Reno is a "popular driving route" in my opinion.

North of Susanville to Alturas and Lakeview OR, not so much.

Reactions: Blup85
When I looked at the revised map on Tesla's website, I did not notice a gray pin in the area around Susanville. [Sigh.]

It seems to me that this would be a key location for traveling north of Reno or Truckee to Central Oregon via either Klamath Falls or Mt. Shasta. US395 north of Reno is a "popular driving route" in my opinion.

North of Susanville to Alturas and Lakeview OR, not so much.

Totally agree! C'mon Tesla read this thread ! :)

Did anyone have a chance to search Milpitas permit database for the location of the Milpitas one? My guess is on SR-237 near the intersection of I-880. My son's guess is in The Great Mall's parking lot.

It might be close to my house in South Fremont hills. Also, anyone know what will happen to the huge unfinished bank of SuCs on Kato Road South of the Factory? They've been there for a long, long time...

Looks like I'll be surrounded by SuCs. They really need a lot more near the factory, even without Model III impact. Everytime I check Factory SuCs out of curiosity, they are full.