Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still nothing on 280. I guess am the only to think a scenic stop by the lakes with hawks overhead would be cool! I know, I know, getting that much power to such a location would be tough.
And there are no existing large parking lots.
Wishful thinking!

Being one of the unlucky souls with no access to home charging, the new sites in San Mateo (and Daly City. And San Francisco! The Mission, really? Wow!) will definitely help! Good stuff Tesla!
I always insist on taking 280. The result is that I tend to charge up before I hit it, like near my destination in SF on the way back (usually Whole Foods Chademo, which gives me a chance to park and shop -- oddly, San Francisco is mostly void of destination chargers anywhere I'd actually go) or somewhere in the valley coming or going. I'm especially happy about the new Chademo atop the Santa Cruz Mountains on Highway 17; that will serve that role for me in spades. Unfortunately, it's only a ~30kW unit (100 amp max). All the SuperChargers on the sf peninsula are 101 oriented, and that's a retch of a freeway. I'm looking forward to unlocking 75kWh on my 60, so for SF appointments I'll just charge to 100% SOC on the 75 and be able to blend that in nicely with 280.

The Mission? That's like their Stockton location: BAD IDEA! Putting SuperChargers in high crime areas is a really bad idea. I know they're basically just gas stations, but that doesn't mean I want to go to a bad neighborhood to get my gas. As it is, I've survived many fights in San Jose just filling up my ICE. But, there, I can drive off in seconds without having to get out of my car. Tesla interlocks you to death: the thug already has you dead before you can even get out of your car to unplug your charger, and if you do manage to get out, your neck is snapped and your heart is stabbed without even a bullet expended by the thug, and they get your keys, car, and fully charged status, before you can get to the plug. Bad idea for Tesla to go to the Mission.
I mean, if only Tesla already had some land right off 280 somewhere between 85 and 84...
That's sacred land, adorned with the most famous and infamous of historical companies, like Xerox PARC. No way would a relative newcomer to the tech field have the clout to have an office there. If they could swing a SuperCharger there in any way, I'm most certain they would have done it already: Palo Alto has their own utility, somebody that Tesla could easily negotiate with, and there is plenty of industrial wiring around there. It would make absolutely no sense not to put a SuperCharger near one of the historically best Universities in the world (although all Universities lately are on decline and that one is no exception, but it is where Tesla's current CEO got his fortune started, so he must know someone who has some property around there -- someone), around which many of the most famous companies located.

But, there is one bragging right for Tesla if they never do manage to scare up any property in Palo Alto by 280: their cars, at least their highest range 81kWh, and now their 100kWh, models, have enough range for visitors to make it to and from Palo Alto from their starting point or intervening SuperChargers. Palo Alto is more of a destination than a long distance charging waypoint. When I was there last week, I looked for a place to plug in (just 6kW), and every one of them was occupied. Every 20th car downtown was a Tesla, and every 10th car downtown was an EV. If a SuperCharger was put in in Palo Alto, it would have to have about 275 stalls, because it would get so many people dropping by for 5 to 10 minutes of top off so they could do their later appointments with more leeway.

Last edited:
I don't think there are many good spots along 280 on the Peninsula for a supercharging station. However, here are some potential locations:

- De Anza College (or the shopping center across the street)--technically off 85, but close enough.
- Foothill Crossing--the shopping center right off the Foothill Expressay exit on 280 (Trader Joe's is the main anchor there). They could do a string of supercharger along the wall that backs to Foothill Expressway.
- Foothill College--plenty of parking, right off 280, but zero other amenities for people while charging.
- Bucks in Woodside--would be good to have one there from a historical perspective (as I recall, Tesla would do test drives of the Roadster from there while they were trying to make ends meet). Granted, there probably isn't enough extra parking around there, but it may be worth a shot.
- The Shops at Tanforan--this is the mall located at 380 & El Camino. Pretty much equidistant between 280 & 101. Might get some abuse from any livery drivers who drive Teslas though.

Anyway, just spitballing some potential locations. If in two years a supercharger shows up at any of these locations, I can claim to have had some part in it, haha.

Actually when I clicked on it I found that it was actually Marin City, so that's probably cheaper. I imagine the parking spaces are cheaper in Sausalito than at the three planned stations in San Francisco though.

There is an old 'strip mall' in Marin City that has had some turnover. It has a moderate sized parking lot. Would be good for Supercharging. Would give the mall a boost by those who would just drive by to Sausalito or the other way to Mill Valley.

I don't think there are many good spots along 280 on the Peninsula for a supercharging station. However, here are some potential locations:

- De Anza College (or the shopping center across the street)--technically off 85, but close enough.
- Foothill Crossing--the shopping center right off the Foothill Expressay exit on 280 (Trader Joe's is the main anchor there). They could do a string of supercharger along the wall that backs to Foothill Expressway.
- Foothill College--plenty of parking, right off 280, but zero other amenities for people while charging.

Hopefully none of the above. De Anza College has horrible parking problems when classes are in session. Foothill Crossing has horrible parking problems when the stores are open. And as you noted, Foothill College has no amenities.

Methinks it would be somewhere near the new Apple "Flying Saucer". (E.g., Vallco-ish.)

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo
Hopefully none of the above. De Anza College has horrible parking problems when classes are in session. Foothill Crossing has horrible parking problems when the stores are open. And as you noted, Foothill College has no amenities.

Methinks it would be somewhere near the new Apple "Flying Saucer". (E.g., Vallco-ish.)
They are building a new Hyatt behind Vallco, off Wolfe... And plenty of room in that parking lot across the road there.

So, according to Tesla's map Find Us | Tesla there are 9 Supercharger sites coming online on the peninsula (Cupertino to SF) before the end of the year.
But I cannot find anyone with info about where those will be. I have kept my eyes open in Cupertino, but nothing visible yet.
Anyone else? Not a lot of room in The Mission, so you have to think we will see something soon!

So, according to Tesla's map Find Us | Tesla there are 9 Supercharger sites coming online on the peninsula (Cupertino to SF) before the end of the year.
Keep in mind that the gray "Coming soon" icons on the Find Us map sometimes just indicate that an existing site in the same area is going to be expanded. They do not necessarily indicate a new location.

You can always try searching city or county building permits.

Keep in mind that the gray "Coming soon" icons on the Find Us map sometimes just indicate that an existing site in the same area is going to be expanded. They do not necessarily indicate a new location.

You can always try searching city or county building permits.
Yeah, well aware of that. Some one of the handful of San Mateo ones could be expansion of the existing one. But still, San Francisco (3X), Daly City, Cupertino, Sunnyvale are all new locations.

I'd be on the lookout for construction activity in malls with top floor parking structures for the new bay area chargers. they won't need to acquire new land and the parking spots are already there (and everyone avoids uncovered top floor parking anyway so space is underutilized), and malls would be looking to drive traffic (malls are struggling). look at what they are doing with new burbank (20 stalls!!).

the san mateo - hillsdale marker seems like a prime candidate, cupertino could be vallco, daly city might be serramonte, emeryville maybe bay street mall, etc...

Reactions: Owner and e-FTW
Yes, Hillsdale is doing a major expansion of the mall in San Mateo and has been working on it for over a year now, that's an easy one and will probably be like the mall in Folsom with charging bays in the parking garage.

There is another planned on along El Camino further north in San Mateo, not sure where that one is going to be yet.

Fair point on malls wanting the business and having free space.

<wishful thinking>
Ugh, more time tooling around malls. I'd love for Elon to reach out to the federal government and come up with a proposal to set up Superchargers (maybe with compatibility for other EVs) with solar and energy storage at Interstae rest areas. Those are often surrounded by a park, or in nice locations. What can I say, I like the outside better than a Peet's Coffee.
</wishful thinking>

Reactions: mblakele

<wishful thinking>
Ugh, more time tooling around malls. I'd love for Elon to reach out to the federal government and come up with a proposal to set up Superchargers (maybe with compatibility for other EVs) with solar and energy storage at Interstae rest areas. Those are often surrounded by a park, or in nice locations. What can I say, I like the outside better than a Peet's Coffee.
</wishful thinking>
Federal government doesn't run interstate highway rest areas, the state departments of transportation do. This would be the worst locations to charge-- there's nothing to eat or do.

Well, yesterday over lunch I went for a bike ride in Cupertino and saw nothing at:
- Vallco mall multi-level parking structure
- Vallco 2-level parking next to the movie theater
- (The lot next to that is still packed with Bolts)
- The large lot behind Alexander's steak house, accross from the Hyatt construction site
- The new Main Street parking structure

Maybe I should get better at searching building permits. I sweated way too much for a day at the office.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman