Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Marin City / San Rafael "coming soon" Superchargers are the Target stores in each of those locations. Currently Marin City is showing 2019, and the San Rafael SC was showing summer 2018, now just 2018, but I was just there two days ago and I don't see any construction. The San Rafael SC would be much easier on/off for travelers and much less congestion I think.
The San Rafael Target has had a bunch of non-Tesla EV charging stations right in front of the store since its inception, so it's not surprising that they would also host Superchargers. Haven't checked around the sides or back of the store for any construction of Superchargers, but didn't notice anything out front either.

I should correct my statement above... I've been reading the "Target coming soon 2018" as literally Target store, not "Goal coming soon." Having said that, I think it's very likely that the SC's in Marin City and San Rafael are at Target stores given Target's SC initiative.

Yes, imagine the property values of homes if they had been built there with that backdrop.
I had thought the same thing. Not sure of the entire history of that land, but I'm guessing it has something to do with San Quentin being nearby. Probably no one wanted to live by the prison back in the day when things were less crowded and then it got zoned for some combo of public lands (the trail along the bay) and now commercial (Target).

The issue is that it was a landfill for many decades and there are toxics buried there.... and lots of methane venting if you look behind the Target. Great location for a Supercharger -- I'm guessing it's the only Target in the USA with a water & bridge view from the cash registers! I believe they have added more EV spaces since it opened... there are tons of them now and plenty of room for charging. And it's free. Once they build the new connector from 101 to 580 (now funding is approved) it will be easy on easy off.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
You should
So I was driving by Sun Valley Mall in Concord the other day and caught a fenced area in the parking lot near the parking garage over by BJs. I haven’t checked to see if there is a permit, but it looked suspiciously like an EV charging station going in...

You should go back and check ;)

There is already a Tesla Supercharger across the street that is a bit busy. An extension over there would make more sense than building another station on the other side of the road, no?

Reactions: goldengate
You should

You should go back and check ;)

There is already a Tesla Supercharger across the street that is a bit busy. An extension over there would make more sense than building another station on the other side of the road, no?

You would think so. But, as a counterpoint - in San Ramon they built the one by the Target (was supposed to be 16, has the infrastructure for it including the conduit but ended up being 10 due to the city after permitting) and now they have a permit for one just on the opposite side of the highway - exactly the same scenario as having one in Concord at The Veranda and one at Sun Valley mall. Seems odd, but apparently it happens. I hear the Livermore one that just opened two or three weeks ago is also just across the road from the newly permitted second Dublin charger.

Reactions: Oyinko
You would think so. But, as a counterpoint - in San Ramon they built the one by the Target (was supposed to be 16, has the infrastructure for it including the conduit but ended up being 10 due to the city after permitting) and now they have a permit for one just on the opposite side of the highway - exactly the same scenario as having one in Concord at The Veranda and one at Sun Valley mall. Seems odd, but apparently it happens. I hear the Livermore one that just opened two or three weeks ago is also just across the road from the newly permitted second Dublin charger.

Yep. Having two different locations close together might be more reliable than one big Supercharger. Also note that the size of a Supercharger location could be constrained by the actual landowners, so it might not be possible to build a honkin' big Supercharger everywhere.

One more example: Mt. Shasta has two Supercharger sites that are (supposedly, haven't been there in person yet) within line-of-site of each other on the same street.

Bruce.

So I was driving by Sun Valley Mall in Concord the other day and caught a fenced area in the parking lot near the parking garage over by BJs. I haven’t checked to see if there is a permit, but it looked suspiciously like an EV charging station going in...

B875EB24-B75F-4A64-A9CE-F7E6F8C967EB.jpeg

Picture from the other day. I might be seeing things but it sort of looks like there’s an urban SC pedestal in there... guess I’ll need to go back up there and get a closer look...

False alarm. Went by today and wile there are electrical sub panels, it’s just a storage yard for some remodeling going on inside the mall.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Now that the "San Jose, CA - Cherry Avenue" Supercharger is open, we can see that the "Almaden" marker is gone and the remaining "South San Jose" marker is still there on Tesla's official map.

My guess for "South San Jose" would be at "The Plant" which is in South San Jose and also has a Target (Target parking lots are a very common location)..

Reactions: HandleX
According to Google Maps South San Jose is a huge area and actually has three Targets. One is the Target at The Plant. Another is the Target on Cottle Rd. The third is the Target at Oakridge Mall. I could make an argument for all three with Oakridge Mall being the least likely because of the proximity to the new Cherry Ave (Almaden) Supercharger.

I kind of like the idea of Target Cottle Rd because of the proximity to 101 and 85. There is also all the new high density housing that is going up in that area, which screams to me no opportunities for residents to home charge.

It will be interesting to see where the next Superchargers will be built in San Jose. The city could easily accommodate six different Superchargers that would stay busy.