Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, anyone got any speculation about Northern California Superchargers? :)
Yep. :cool: I would like to see Supercharger locations on highways 88 and 4 in the northern Sierras. Those of us who tow trailers find those routes challenging if not impossible.

Yes, there are two HPCs in Bear Valley on Hwy 4 that are publicly available, but that is pretty slow charging unless you are actually staying at that location and can plug in overnight.

On Hwy88 the 6 HPCs at Kirkwood and the single HPC at Sorenson’s are for customers only.

Yes, there are two HPCs in Bear Valley on Hwy 4 that are publicly available, but that is pretty slow charging unless you are actually staying at that location and can plug in overnight.

Fan, you take your Tesla with trailer across Ebbets Pass? It is risky enough as is, let alone negotiating that 1 1/4 lane highway towing a trailer! Fun drive, though, and I did it three years ago in the S the day it opened to traffic after its winter closure.

I agree somewhere along SR88 would be of use; that highway is open year-round (except for periodic closures around Kirkwood and Caples Lake for avalanche control). Perhaps at Kirkwood or near Silver Lake would help. But since SR 4 is closed 5-7 months per year, and since that 25-mile or so stretch of highway is barely wider than one lane, it would not generate much through traffic to warrant a Supercharger in Arnold or Murphys, in my view.

Those wishing to traverse Ebbets Pass could easily make it from Manteca or the under construction Stockton Supercharger to SR89, then up and over Monitor Pass to US395. The Topaz Lake/Gardnerville Supercharger is only about 5 miles north of that junction. Moreover, the distance to South Shore from the 4/89 junction south of Markleeville is only about 30 miles.

I have made it home to Fresno without stopping going westbound from Topaz Lake or Minden over both Ebbets and Sonora Passes in my S85.

I agree somewhere along SR88 would be of use; that highway is open year-round (except for periodic closures around Kirkwood and Caples Lake for avalanche control). Perhaps at Kirkwood or near Silver Lake would help.
Tesla had been working towards a supercharger at Kirkwood Station on SR88, but those plans were placed on hold by Tesla in April 2018. So far as I can tell, they haven't been picked back up yet. Whether that means the location has been totally dropped or they're still working through some issues, I have no idea.

source: https://www.kmpud.com/wp-content/uploads/Board-PACKET-04.14.2018-WEB.pdf