Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we wait for future SC updates, I'm wondering if Tesla will add some SCs on Hwy 50. I know it's not Norcal, but it's interesting to see that there is currently nothing between south Lake Tahoe and Utah, except for a future location in Ely.

While we wait for future SC updates, I'm wondering if Tesla will add some SCs on Hwy 50. I know it's not Norcal, but it's interesting to see that there is currently nothing between south Lake Tahoe and Utah, except for a future location in Ely.
It looks like the last quarterly update was only to the projected dates: no new proposed locations that I can see. I'm not sure if this is intentional or they're just behind since it seems, at least from the seat of the pants feel, it takes longer and longer to update the map every quarter.

Reactions: Zorg
Yeah, I would like to see a SC in Ely. Summer of 2020 while traveling in the Great Basin area with my Model S. I carried a CHAdeMO adapter so I can use some of the fast DC chargers around. Unfortunately, in Ely the only DC charger was broken, some sort of software issue that won't initiate charging. So I was stuck using the L2 charger and wasted hours to top off enough to get to Wendover. Never again rely on a single DC fast charger. Not sure why those charging companies don't install them in pairs so there is a backup.

Reactions: 1100MCM
I see a new supercharger is coming on the Tesla supercharger map. It's at the 87 freeway overpass of W Santa Clara St, in San Jose. Opening is Q1 2023. There is no information on supercharge.info.

Anyone know anything more about the location and what type of superchargers? Urban chargers would be welcome for downtown residents that don't have home charging. Especially since the city pulled the plug on their Clean Air program (thanks, not).

Last edited by a moderator:
How does everyone feel about putting Superchargers/destination chargers at Bordertown? This way you don't have to charge up in downtown Reno or Virginia street before continuing on I-80 or 395/580.
They're already putting superchargers in Sparks and Fernley which will meet the needs of your stated purpose. Would be more useful to put one at Boomtown (Verdi) or somewhere in western Reno near I-80. But either way, I think it'll be fine for a while once Sparks and Fernley open.

Reactions: Trekboy
Bordertown or Hallelujah Junction--really does not matter much (at least to me.) As Plus said, Fernley and Sparks will help tremendously. I think (emphasis on think) that another SC is going in along 395/580 south of the junction with 80. If that goes as planned, my opinion is that Bordertown (or Hallelujah Junction) would be unnecessary for the foreseeable future.

My preferred route from Truckee to Susanville is to take 89 north out of Truckee to Sierraville, thence on 49 through Loyalton to Vinton and 70 east to 395. The distance is about 2 miles longer than the suggested routing east on 80 to Reno then north on 395, and it avoids any traffic on the freeways. The time factor is nearly identical. Clearly HJ would be of more use for those than Bordertown.

Most cars today can swing the distance from Reno to Alturas (taking the cutoff at Buntingville) without much worry and bypass Susanville. And if they are going to Interstate 5 at Red Bluff/Redding/Mt. Shasta City, a stop in Susanville would be mandatory for most.

Sorry to deflate your Bordertown suggestion.