Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It refers to relocating a V2 supercharger. Doesn’t say from where but I assume this is the 4680 pilot facility So there may already be one there, just not public and they are moving it from one place on the property to another.

There is already a prior open permit for Superchargers and Power Packs at 47400 Kato here Accela Citizen Access

The above is the latest revision of a 2019 permit so it looks like there has been one there for a few years and now it’s being moved. Other permits at the site allude to dyno testing so they likely use this site for EPA testing.
More digging. Looks like the 2019 permit received temporary certificate of occupancy at end of 2021.
1644919600143.png

And even another permit for a completed supercharger install in 2018.
1644919938737.png

Even farther back in the day, Superchargers were for enabling long-distance travel, and you generally didn't even care about any Supercharger within a 50 mile radius to your house. I remember charging at the one Bay Area Supercharger (at the Tesla factory) just so I could say I'd done it.

I'm not saying that was better, but it's interesting to compare how people viewed the Supercharger network "then" (2015-ish) and "now" (2022). And yeah I know there are people here whose cars even predate Supercharging. ;)

Bruce.

PS. Back on topic, I think one of the reasons there isn't a Supercharger along I-580 in Oakland is that there aren't a lot of large parking lots where you could put one.

Exactly. Same reason there aren't many gas stations in Lower Manhattan (or any large city center for that matter). Space is at a premium.
More off topic: But a few years ago I discovered that Paris has curbside gas pumps. I guess the tanks are under the street or sidewalk. I needed to fill up before returning a rental car and drove around in circles trying to find the gas station that showed up on my GPS, until I realized it wasn't a station per se, just a gas pump next to the curb. Pay with a credit card. Might be why Europe seems more amenable to curbside charging... they're already willing to do it with an explosive liquid.

Even farther back in the day, Superchargers were for enabling long-distance travel, and you generally didn't even care about any Supercharger within a 50 mile radius to your house. I remember charging at the one Bay Area Supercharger (at the Tesla factory) just so I could say I'd done it.

I'm not saying that was better, but it's interesting to compare how people viewed the Supercharger network "then" (2015-ish) and "now" (2022). And yeah I know there are people here whose cars even predate Supercharging. ;)

Bruce.

PS. Back on topic, I think one of the reasons there isn't a Supercharger along I-580 in Oakland is that there aren't a lot of large parking lots where you could put one.
More importantly, how many SCs have you visited? I'll admit that visiting a new SC is a bit of a guilty pleasure when we road trip, but it's more of a side benefit than an actual quest.

More importantly, how many SCs have you visited? I'll admit that visiting a new SC is a bit of a guilty pleasure when we road trip, but it's more of a side benefit than an actual quest.

So far, 187.

Some of you might know there's a friendly little competition going on to see who can visit the most Superchargers (I am not anywhere near close to the top). The leaderboard is embedded and linked in the top post of this other thread:

Feeling a little deja vu from the Kettleman CIty (Bernard Dr.) thread... 🙃

Bruce.