Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying one has to PAY TO ENTER the garage on Van Ness just to use one of the 12 superchargers? So the Marina 6 are the only open ones, that seems pretty odd.

And I’m not sure we have CURRENT data, but the city has put the current resident population closer to 720K these days… I know, splitting hair
Are you saying one has to PAY TO ENTER the garage on Van Ness just to use one of the 12 superchargers? So the Marina 6 are the only open ones, that seems pretty odd.

And I’m not sure we have CURRENT data, but the city has put the current resident population closer to 720K these days… I know, splitting hairs.

And I’m not sure we have CURRENT data, but the city has put the current resident population closer to 720K these days… I know, splitting hairs.
Unstated, but the 34-stall Geary Blvd supercharger location (atop Target) is the go-to place for residents,
at least outside the suburbs like Daly City. It has a dozen or so 250kW stalls, the rest being "urban"
72kW ones. As for Van Ness or Marina -- they are in paid parking garages (Van Ness is marked
in the Tesla car-app as "valet only") Are there exceptions (do tell)?

As of 9 pm PST, there were only 9 stalls available at Geary/O'Farrell, charging $0.48/kWh, going
down to $0.45 during graveyard shift. Just a month or two ago, there were significant
time-tier differences. I think there's going to be an SC crunch here soon.

As for population, it varies by source, with 800K+ for 2022 Census estimates and also via Wikipedia.
There's been outmigration for sure, but supposedly it's recently stabilized. Maybe generative AI
will induce a comeback.

P.S. I wish Tesla pricing was available in the mobile phone app as well.

Last edited:
And do you expect Tesla to buy lots in SF at ridiculous prices, tear down what is there and build SC and only charge the current rate for charging? Would you pay $1.00/kwh to supercharge if they passed along costs to the end user? That's $0.236/rated mile. 25 miles is $5.90. I can guarantee you Tesla is talking to many businesses in SF proper about putting in a SC but the people that own the land aren't wiling to give up spots to Tesla or want to charge Tesla too much for giving up those spots. There are also minimum requirements for parking spaces if your business has its own lot and giving up 8-12 or more spots to Tesla can put you under the minimum required number so they can't legally give spots to Tesla.

For example, 0.06 acres, $595k or combine with other lots to get to 15,000sf (a little over 0.34ac) at $5.5million. The 0.06ac lot is 2600sf. It would need to be 32ft wide to allow an aisle with perpendicular parking (14ft aisle with 18ft spot). 2600 / 32 = 81ft. Thats 8 spots with 0 room for equipment. You are talking $10 million or more for an acre of dirt.

If you really think Tesla is ignoring SF intentionally, please do some research before complaining about a lack of sites. It is not Tesla's responsibility to provide charging infrastructure to their buyers. It is up to the buyer to decide if the current infrastructure meets their needs before buying. No one is being forced to buy a Tesla.

Unstated, but the 34-stall Geary Blvd supercharger location (atop Target) is the go-to place for residents,
at least outside the suburbs like Daly City. It has a dozen or so 250kW stalls, the rest being "urban"
72kW ones. As for Van Ness or Marina -- they are in paid parking garages (Van Ness is marked
in the Tesla car-app as "valet only") Are there exceptions (do tell)?
As of 9 pm PST, there were only 9 stalls available at Geary/O'Farrell, charging $0.48/kWh, going
down to $0.45 during graveyard shift. Just a month or two ago, there were significant
time-tier differences. I think there's going to be an SC crunch here soon.

As for population, it varies by source, with 800K+ for 2022 Census estimates and also via Wikipedia.
There's been outmigration for sure, but supposedly it's recently stabilized. Maybe generative AI
will induce a comeback.

P.S. I wish Tesla pricing was available in the mobile phone app as well.

And do you expect Tesla to buy lots in SF at ridiculous prices, tear down what is there and build SC and only charge the current rate for charging? Would you pay $1.00/kwh to supercharge if they passed along costs to the end user? That's $0.236/rated mile. 25 miles is $5.90. I can guarantee you Tesla is talking to many businesses in SF proper about putting in a SC but the people that own the land aren't wiling to give up spots to Tesla or want to charge Tesla too much for giving up those spots. There are also minimum requirements for parking spaces if your business has its own lot and giving up 8-12 or more spots to Tesla can put you under the minimum required number so they can't legally give spots to Tesla.

For example, 0.06 acres, $595k or combine with other lots to get to 15,000sf (a little over 0.34ac) at $5.5million. The 0.06ac lot is 2600sf. It would need to be 32ft wide to allow an aisle with perpendicular parking (14ft aisle with 18ft spot). 2600 / 32 = 81ft. Thats 8 spots with 0 room for equipment. You are talking $10 million or more for an acre of dirt.

If you really think Tesla is ignoring SF intentionally, please do some research before complaining about a lack of sites. It is not Tesla's responsibility to provide charging infrastructure to their buyers. It is up to the buyer to decide if the current infrastructure meets their needs before buying. No one is being forced to buy a Tesla.
About your well-taken points -- but of course! (As an SF resident, I know most all this.)

My decision to buy a 2018 model 3 as an apartment dweller with *no* 110V grounded plug in my garage parking space was still worth it, previously having to drive 6-7 miles south to Daly City to charge.
So Geary Blvd is a relative godsend, with parallel time available for shopping at Trader Joe's. Expensive city, but fortunately replete with relatively clean public transportation from subways to trolleys to scooters/bikes, aside from great walking opportunities.

California is doing well on the SuperCharger voting page:

Several of the pins are in the hills or before a hill climb. The pin in Livermore (east of San Francisco) is just before the climb over the 1009-foot Altamont Pass.

1683584012039.png

Scott

--

2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range, red/white, tow

I stayed at The Sea Ranch for a month from late April to late May. Spring is a great time to visit the Mendonoma coast. Check out my Twitter for some pics and such. While I was there I distributed the “Vote Gualala” snippet that I posted above by posting it on various community boards, some EV chargers, and by placing the message on the windshield of every Tesla I saw while I was there. The results have been pretty good, Gualala is up to 737 votes. But that’s NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

So I’ve taken out a display ad in the Independent Coast Observer (the local Gualala newspaper) for next week and 6/23. I’m hoping we will see a boost in votes this month.

Feel free to add your vote for Gualala!

Gualala-Vote.png

probably a pain in the ass to update and maintain accurate data. I feel like the target date is never correct. It happens when it happens.
use supercharge.info
I know there are other sources. But those sources start somewhere. Once we get a grey pin we start scouring the databases for that place and it can help guide us. Otherwise you just have to get lucky.

Maybe they just took them down to redo and they will come back, who knows really.

probably a pain in the ass to update and maintain accurate data. I feel like the target date is never correct. It happens when it happens.
use supercharge.info

supercharge.info is a fantastic resource...it's based on crowd-sourced reports from various people in the community, including the person who you were replying to.

The Tesla "Find Us" map is largely aspirational (as you pointed out the dates are often wrong). But those grey pins are good for determining Tesla's intentions, and that tells folks where to look for permits, construction, etc.

Bruce.

Reactions: Tyl and Mrbrock