Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hayward has chargers, San Leandro has chargers, Dublin has chargers, San Ramon has chargers, Pleasanton has chargers.
Every city but Castro Valley.

There are lots of other cities, even in the Tesla-saturated SF Bay Area, that don't have Superchargers. The city I live in (Lafayette) doesn't have any, but like Castro Valley, it does have other EV charging options. We can guess at the reasons why, but I doubt anyone outside of Tesla knows for sure.

Bruce.

Hayward has chargers, San Leandro has chargers, Dublin has chargers, San Ramon has chargers, Pleasanton has chargers.
Every city but Castro Valley.

Personally I don't recommend a tesla to anyone who can't put solar on their house, also I dont recommend an electric car to anyone who can't charge at home. Most of the time you do not need a supercharger in the city you live in.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: AMPd and PLUS EV
What do you mean by "area"? There are a dozen supercharger stations within ten miles of any spot in Castro Valley. With more permitted and under construction.
I am gonna take a wild guess that this is what poster meant

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111-074602.png
    Screenshot_20231111-074602.png
    781.1 KB · Views: 34
Just a couple of comments in relation to recent posts on this thread. Firstly, it has been quite some time since Tesla has updated "Coming Soon" sites on their Find Us map (since April 2023?). I'm starting to wonder if Tesla has decided not to show future sites in their system. Secondly, the absence of sites on the Tesla map or supercharge.info doesn't mean that a site is not under construction but has gone unnoticed by people that post on supercharge.info. A significant portion of the under-construction and open entries on supercharge.info never appeared on Tesla website (until they open).

Personally I don't recommend a tesla to anyone who can't put solar on their house, also I dont recommend an electric car to anyone who can't charge at home. Most of the time you do not need a supercharger in the city you live in.
Thank god I don't take advice from people like you! Why the hell would I drop $25k on Solar when my Electricity rate is .15 kw/h flat rate

Thank god I don't take advice from people like you! Why the hell would I drop $25k on Solar when my Electricity rate is .15 kw/h flat rate
Relax. The general assumption is that most Californians are under the tyrannical rule of SDG&E, PG&E, and SCE. They forget about all of us enjoying sub-20 cent/kWh rates from SMUD, LADWP, TID, MID, SVP, Roseville, Redding, etc. For us fortunate few with low and stable rates from public power, the long term economics of solar are certainly questionable.

Reactions: drb3333
You have the freedom to do whatever you want.
That rate is pretty rare. California get up to .63 per kwh in the summer during peak hours, maybe if you're lucky it's around .25 off peak but time is limited.

Solar has to be cheaper than that. We paid about that much 8 years ago.
Quick and dirty math: Tesla is selling solar panels at $3 a W. That translates to around 7c a KWh over 20 years after tax credit. If adding a Powerwall, that's another 3 -7c a KWh depending on system size. Without full net metering it wouldn't be worth it if paying 15c a KWh.

Reactions: Fnlrun
My electricity is free from 8pm to 6am
Why in the world wouldn’t I have an ev without solar?
I flip my meter upside down for 15 days and right side up for 15 days so my electricity is free
There's also something behind it bypassing the meter altogether so it's more so there for looks
I'm not really impressed by people who can come up with these things. Just because I don't recommend something doesn't mean it's right