Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need emupilot to do some research on permits for the supercharger at the village in Corte Madera.

Well, I'm not finding anything in the City's online library of council agendas & minutes, planning department, public notices, or weekly issued building permits. A Google search for Tesla within the site Corte Madera, CA - Official Website | Official Website should turn up a hit in any of those databases if there is activity, but all I see are references to the store.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the gray pin has moved, and now appears to be around Cupertino, or maybe a little south, like Saratoga or Los Gatos:

SuperCharge1.jpg

I just noticed that the gray pin has moved, and now appears to be around Cupertino, or maybe a little south, like Saratoga or Los Gatos:

View attachment 79034

Good catch, thanks!

So I mapped the current supercharger locations and compared it to the new "Today" map with that gray pin somewhere by San Jose.

Turns out it's actually quite a bit further south than I originally thought, so it now appears to me that it will actually be on hwy 17 somewhere between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz -- see the gray dot in my screen shot below:

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 10.47.42 AM.png

...which would be a weird place to put a supercharger! Besides that it would only serve Highway 17, crossing the highway to get to and from superchargers on the other side would be somewhere on the spectrum between uncomfortable and terrifying. Near the 17/85 or 17/1 interchanges would make alot more sense.

Agreed that location would make much more sense.

Maybe, but give the high concentration of Teslas in that area, Superchargers there will be used very intensively. It would be an interesting to see how many pedestals Tesla would decide to install.

I think 25 would be enough...for now.

Although if you look at the 2015 map it appears like it will be joined by 3 more bay area superchargers by the end of the year. The dots are so close together its a bit hard to tell exactly where, but it looks to me like one on the peninsula, one in San Francisco (or just north of the Golden Gate?) and one in the east bay north of Fremont.

Today:
Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 1.05.21 PM.png

2015:
Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 1.05.29 PM.png

Having Superchargers at a Santa Clara service center would certainly encourage some locals to charge there occasionally. On the other hand, if the industrial electric power rates are anything like the residential electric power rates, Santa Clara would be a vastly cheaper location for cost per kWh than in all neighboring cities, which are in PG&E territory.

I just did a quick look-up, and non-time-of-use rates for large industrial users in Santa Clara are right at $0.10 / kWh, plus demand charges of $10/peak-kW, during peak hours. Time-of-use rates vary from 9 to 11 cents per kWh.

These might be the lowest power rates in the SF South Bay area.

...which would be a weird place to put a supercharger! Besides that it would only serve Highway 17, crossing the highway to get to and from superchargers on the other side would be somewhere on the spectrum between uncomfortable and terrifying. Near the 17/85 or 17/1 interchanges would make alot more sense.

The "teardrop" looks like it might be slightly west of 17 near Summit Road. If this is the case, then that makes some sense in terms of being able to access it from either direction: there is already a full interchange between Summit Road & Hwy 17. You can get on and off from any direction to any direction, with Summit Road a bidirectional road crossing Hwy 17 using a bridge and the highway interchanges dumping directly via the road on either side of the bridge. It is still a highway intersection so you have to have full awareness exiting & entering, unlike a freeway, especially on the southbound direction of Hwy 17 :scared: (you come around a blind curve into the offramp which has a sharp almost-hairpin turn and steep grade that could scrape your car so you have to go from highway speed to blind turn careful hairpin steep climb speed, and re-entering southbound you also have to watch for cars coming around a blind corner where you can't see each other and everyone possibly distracted by all the exiting mayhem). But, crossing 17 at this Summit Road interchange would be ten thousand times safer than crossing 17 at the business area down at the next hwy 17 hill peak.

If you get a bit of a ways up or down Summit Road from Hwy 17 Westward or Eastward on a satellite map, a few spots with enough space to create a decent charging parking area are visible (and possibly enough sunlight for a few solar panels), so I would not be surprised if a charging area is quite a few blocks away from the highway. I didn't see many exciting businesses around that area, though --- this would be a backup charge location. It would be smart to make it a boring area without cell coverage or wifi so that cheapskates don't use it for free commute charging :frown:; that may be why they like this siting location above 17&85. During winter snow is common there (and I assume ice too?), so it needs proper weatherization.

The location is mystifying from a long distance charging network point of view :confused:. Maybe people may run out of juice from air conditioning in backed up summer beach traffic, but at the summit they can coast down and recharge. Maybe CHP doesn't want a bunch of stuck cars just past the bottom of the hill once they've coasted all the way down. Maybe they are concerned by even slower traffic that doesn't even allow the car to charge going downhill with A/C on. Another possibility is that CHP wants to buy a few Tesla's for patrol vehicles, perhaps juiced up P85D's that can "launch" to catch someone really efficiently, and end up saving "fuel" and "pollution" from all the patrolling, and CHP wants a satellite parking area with one car on supercharge at all times (they keep one at SC and a few on patrol and swap them out). Other than that, I see lots of other superchargers near by --- Fremont, Gilroy, etc., that SHOULD reach through this area. The one thing I can think of that might make this location (very) sensible is that there is a sort of social wormhole between Santa Cruz & San Francisco which may suck up a lot of round trip juice, and that extra little supercharge may be all that's needed to get you through your occasional social trip without having to find that perfect EV parking spot in San Francisco (for eight gazillion dollars).

Last edited:
The "teardrop" looks like it might be slightly west of 17 near Summit Road. If this is the case, then that makes some sense in terms of being able to access it from either direction: there is already a full interchange between Summit Road & Hwy 17. You can get on and off from any direction to any direction, with Summit Road a bidirectional road crossing Hwy 17 using a bridge and the highway interchanges dumping directly via the road on either side of the bridge. It is still a highway intersection so you have to have full awareness exiting & entering, unlike a freeway, especially on the southbound direction of Hwy 17 :scared: (you come around a blind curve into the offramp which has a sharp almost-hairpin turn and steep grade that could scrape your car so you have to go from highway speed to blind turn careful hairpin steep climb speed, and re-entering southbound you also have to watch for cars coming around a blind corner where you can't see each other and everyone possibly distracted by all the exiting mayhem). But, crossing 17 at this Summit Road interchange would be ten thousand times safer than crossing 17 at the business area down at the next hwy 17 hill peak.

If you get a bit of a ways up or down Summit Road from Hwy 17 Westward or Eastward on a satellite map, a few spots with enough space to create a decent charging parking area are visible (and possibly enough sunlight for a few solar panels), so I would not be surprised if a charging area is quite a few blocks away from the highway. I didn't see many exciting businesses around that area, though --- this would be a backup charge location. It would be smart to make it a boring area without cell coverage or wifi so that cheapskates don't use it for free commute charging :frown:; that may be why they like this siting location above 17&85. During winter snow is common there (and I assume ice too?), so it needs proper weatherization.

The location is mystifying from a long distance charging network point of view :confused:. Maybe people may run out of juice from air conditioning in backed up summer beach traffic, but at the summit they can coast down and recharge. Maybe CHP doesn't want a bunch of stuck cars just past the bottom of the hill once they've coasted all the way down. Maybe they are concerned by even slower traffic that doesn't even allow the car to charge going downhill with A/C on. Another possibility is that CHP wants to buy a few Tesla's for patrol vehicles, perhaps juiced up P85D's that can "launch" to catch someone really efficiently, and end up saving "fuel" and "pollution" from all the patrolling, and CHP wants a satellite parking area with one car on supercharge at all times (they keep one at SC and a few on patrol and swap them out). Other than that, I see lots of other superchargers near by --- Fremont, Gilroy, etc., that SHOULD reach through this area. The one thing I can think of that might make this location (very) sensible is that there is a sort of social wormhole between Santa Cruz & San Francisco which may suck up a lot of round trip juice, and that extra little supercharge may be all that's needed to get you through your occasional social trip without having to find that perfect EV parking spot in San Francisco (for eight gazillion dollars).

All that, or the pin on the map could be a couple mm off. :wink: Actually, when I overlay the locations on the map I don't anywhere close to 17 at the summit. I get somewhere in the Santa Cruz mountains south of Saratoga (you can see clearly in the picture I posted above that the tip of the pin is due north of the point in Santa Cruz, which is definitely west of highway 17). Shall we start the speculating about why it might be located there?

btw here's my map superimposition:

SuperchargerMap.jpg

Last edited: