Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While looking for some Superchargers on LADBS, I came up on this one permit for 24 stalls at The Grove LA. Unfortunately, the permit is from 2017 and was never issued.

728A635E-9CF8-43DF-97DA-FCEEF986C4B9.jpeg

Anyway, I still found some other valid permits which I’ll be releasing soon. As I did on my Twitter, I’ll ask for some plausible locations in Los Angeles where Tesla *could* install Superchargers in the near future. However I need the location to be specific, because LADBS’s permit search only works by the site address. Don’t know if the mods want this thread to be full of suggestions so you can DM them to me via “Start a conversation”.

Actually, I just found an updated version of the permit from 2019, but this one has been stuck in review since last year. Would it be worth a blue pin on Supercharge Info if it’s been stalled for this long?

6E4FE8E7-69C2-4C5B-BCC2-0BE1C9CFB6B9.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Actually, I just found an updated version of the permit from 2019, but this one has been stuck in review since last year. Would it be worth a blue pin on Supercharge Info if it’s been stalled for this long?

View attachment 586042

not sure...though Marco if you’re looking outside of LA city, I think Montclair Place (5060 E N Montclair Plaza Ln, Montclair, CA 91763) east of LA would be a good place too.

I suppose this corroborates what a poster on the thread for the new DTLA supercharger said. He claimed to be an engineer for the City of LA and mentioned he had seen a list of ~10-15 sites in City of LA alone (in various stages, some in permitting but others still in property owner negotiation stages). He was supposed to come back and post links for the ones in permitting but I have not seen that yet (please do if you read this post!).

I do wonder how long this sign has been up, however, as some of these 200 may already have been made available through recent openings, eg DTLA, Santa Clara, etc.

• Informative
I do wonder how long this sign has been up, however, as some of these 200 may already have been made available through recent openings, eg DTLA, Santa Clara, etc.
DTLA is V2, sign says V3 only and Santa Clara is in the Bay Area. One location that this may account for is the Granada Hills Supercharger, which is V3 and in Metro LA

• Informative
I suppose this corroborates what a poster on the thread for the new DTLA supercharger said. He claimed to be an engineer for the City of LA and mentioned he had seen a list of ~10-15 sites in City of LA alone (in various stages, some in permitting but others still in property owner negotiation stages). He was supposed to come back and post links for the ones in permitting but I have not seen that yet (please do if you read this post!).

I see now the person who found this found it at the new DTLA site, so I suppose there must be close to 200 that really are yet to open. Doing some quick back of the envelope math on recent sites that are in permitting or construction (Hawthorne, Simi Valley, Granada Hills, Tustin, 668 S Alameda St, San Fernando) it seems like 50-100 of these may be accounted for already, which means 100 or more may still be out there in permitting or construction that haven’t been found yet!

Would love to get a LITTLE bit of that love in North SD County.
If they can get the ones on the "Find Us - Coming Soon" page done in 2021, that would be awesome. (Vista, Escondido, La Jolla, Santa Ysabel, El Cajon, San Ysidro). Note that these have yet to be found, while three previously unlisted Superchargers have popped up (Liberty Station, Balboa Mesa and Mira Mesa) in the last month. I think that Oceanside or Carlsbad right off I5 is one big gap that's missing. Another SC or two along I15 between CA56 and I8 would also be useful. Oh - while we're putting together a wish-list - both Del Mar Heights and Mission Valley really should be upgraded to V3 stations! Not sure why they decided to put in urban chargers when there's clearly not enough high speed QC in San Diego.

Update on Superchargers in and around LA (vaguely speaking)

After the Rowland Heights find, I took a look at other city websites to find any town documents for a Supercharger. Ended up finding a 2018 file on West Covina's website for a probable Supercharger agreement at Eastland Center. Seen as nothing has come of it so far, either the agreement fell apart or permitting is taking way too long.

West Covina (Possible).jpg

The Playa Vista and Rowland Heights Urban Superchargers are open.

No updates on the Santa Monica Diner Supercharger, but I did find a permit for a new service center at 1100 Colorado Ave, about half a mile away. For more details, there's a thread on both my Twitter page (@MontrealTesla) and the general California forum

No movement on the Superchargers at The Grove. Hopefully they get these done one day, but as far as permitting goes, it probably won't be for a while

The Marina Del Rey Supercharger looks like it's been scrubbed, not to say it won't be replaced eventually...

Update on Superchargers in and around LA (vaguely speaking)

After the Rowland Heights find, I took a look at other city websites to find any town documents for a Supercharger. Ended up finding a 2018 file on West Covina's website for a probable Supercharger agreement at Eastland Center. Seen as nothing has come of it so far, either the agreement fell apart or permitting is taking way too long.

View attachment 606350

The Playa Vista and Rowland Heights Urban Superchargers are open.

No updates on the Santa Monica Diner Supercharger, but I did find a permit for a new service center at 1100 Colorado Ave, about half a mile away. For more details, there's a thread on both my Twitter page (@MontrealTesla) and the general California forum

No movement on the Superchargers at The Grove. Hopefully they get these done one day, but as far as permitting goes, it probably won't be for a while

The Marina Del Rey Supercharger looks like it's been scrubbed, not to say it won't be replaced eventually...

Ah, Rowland heights, finally something to cover the San Gabriel Valley gap. Been always thinking when will Tesla care about that area.

• Informative
The San Fernando Valley is a ghost town as well.

View attachment 617658
The supercharger in Grenada Hills is basically fully constructed already and will hopefully be activated soon. The location for a supercharger in San Fernando is known and Tesla is in permitting for construction at that location already.

Planned superchargers between Glendale and Thousand Oaks off the 101 haven't been found yet. The last info was about Calabasas, which had a site that apparently fell through a few years ago.

Planned superchargers between Glendale and Thousand Oaks off the 101 haven't been found yet. The last info was about Calabasas, which had a site that apparently fell through a few years ago.

That's a pretty dense area, I can see why there might be trouble finding a spot. One wonders however what happened to the Target partnership? The Target on Balboa at the 118 would have been a better location to capture freeway usage than Sprouts in Granada Hills which doesn't have the same level of freeway access.

• Informative