Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging an American Tesla in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there, I am assuming you did a PCS with your Tesla? I have the Y, which I understand isn't in Germany yet. Did you have to remove the tint and change anything about the lighting? Just preparing myself for my move. I actually "trickle charge" mine in my back driveway in DC and it does just fine, so I have to ensure I line up a parking space with a regular plug.
I think PCS may be the least of your worries. I have a Y too and moving to the Netherlands in June and sadly decided to sell it here and figure out what to do there. Unless if you are military, the risks far outweigh the benefits :(

Hey there, I am assuming you did a PCS with your Tesla? I have the Y, which I understand isn't in Germany yet. Did you have to remove the tint and change anything about the lighting? Just preparing myself for my move. I actually "trickle charge" mine in my back driveway in DC and it does just fine, so I have to ensure I line up a parking space with a regular plug.
Under sofa status in Germany. All I had to do was remove tint from the driver and passenger window. Nothing with lights or anything else.

There's someone with a Y here already and apparently he's been bombarded at the superchargers with all sorts of questions so prep yourself. But on a regular 220v outlet here, I get a 2kw charge. Plenty for daily driving imo. Shoot me a message sometime and I can send you to the folks to get the SC adapter.

My bad, I thought it meant protective cover screen, especially when you mentioned tint, etc :) acronyms... Good luck!
PCS vs TDY vs Deployment......Permanent Change of Station versus Temporary Duty (can you say per diem?) vs Tour of duty (immanent danger pay and tax free).

The irony of a PCS is that it's not permanent, 2-3 years later you do it again, and again, and again, until all your belongings have been stolen or broken by the movers and your wife some how has 12 boxes of Polish pottery and you're now over your allowed shipping weight.

Reactions: MovedOn121
Under sofa status in Germany. All I had to do was remove tint from the driver and passenger window. Nothing with lights or anything else.

There's someone with a Y here already and apparently he's been bombarded at the superchargers with all sorts of questions so prep yourself. But on a regular 220v outlet here, I get a 2kw charge. Plenty for daily driving imo. Shoot me a message sometime and I can send you to the folks to get the SC adapter.
Thank you!! I had to believe there was a workaround- honestly I "trickle charge" my Y in my back alley in DC right now (Haven't been able to get a DC license during COVID to get the DC incentive for a free charger)- It works great for the minimal charging I complete so I would hope to be able to get a space in Stuttgart to accomplish the same (I am also very accustomed to Germans being overly inquisitive about everything so I will brace myself for this come September when my FEMBOT finally arrives) Will fire off a message shortly!

From my own research (I'm planning to do this), importing a US spec Tesla to the EU is worth only in very specific cases. You lose your warranty, your vehicle becomes unsupported, and that means SC is or will be disabled, along with other DC charging, according to Tesla unsupported vehicle policy (although I'm sure you can contest the latest, specially in Europe). You lose maps, LTE, and you'll need to adapt yourself the car because Tesla won't. You might also have problems with servicing the car in some service centers (although in principle, according to their gray vehicle/gray market policy, you shouldn't for most repairs). Tesla won't touch the HV system either.

BUT, if you're in the military, there are some exemptions, and for what I've seen, Tesla will make your life easier. The other option that would work is if you're in the US, you got your Tesla very cheap, all or most of its warranty expired anyway, your vehicle is already unsupported (usually this means it was salvage, and usually that's why you got it damn cheap), and you can do the adaptations yourself (which can also solve the problem with LTE). Usually the later means you own an old Model S/X with MCU1, because the MCU2 is quite secure, and you won't be able to do the required configuration changes easily. Then (and only then), it's a lot of work, but doable, and I think worth it. But you MUST live in the US and own the car in the US, otherwise the taxes you'll have to pay when importing the car to the EU will be high enough to make it not worth (if you are a EU citizen relocating to the EU, all the import taxes are waived, providing you owned the car for more than 6 months). So this is a niche case. Anyone that is not in that very specific situation or belongs to the military should consider selling their car and buying something else in the EU. I know that means losing a LOT of money, but there is no other way.

Said that, I don't understand why Tesla is quite against people importing a car they own from other country. It's a hassle anyway, and economically only works if you truly lived in a different country for a while before moving (I mean, the very specific situations I pointed out above). Importing a car from the US while living in the EU is extremely stupid, as you'll pay the same or more as if you bought it directly in the EU and you'll have to deal with all the problems. If Tesla were a bit more open about this, the booming gray market of half-hackers, half-mechanics that make their livings importing Teslas would greatly be reduced.

By the way, even if you hack your car, reenable SC and buy an adapter, be warned that Tesla is taking a more aggressive instance against these moves, and they might permanently disable the SC capability of your car via the supercharger when you connect your car to charge. See this post:

Salvage cars: Tesla permanently disabling SC from supercharger

Your only option for DC charge would be chademo (a dying standard, although still around) or to install the CCS retrofit, but the service center won't do it, you'll have to do it yourself.

Dashbush121- Can direct message yet apparently because I am not active enough.. can you message me. Thank you!!

From my own research (I'm planning to do this), importing a US spec Tesla to the EU is worth only in very specific cases. You lose your warranty, your vehicle becomes unsupported, and that means SC is or will be disabled, along with other DC charging, according to Tesla unsupported vehicle policy (although I'm sure you can contest the latest, specially in Europe). You lose maps, LTE, and you'll need to adapt yourself the car because Tesla won't. You might also have problems with servicing the car in some service centers (although in principle, according to their gray vehicle/gray market policy, you shouldn't for most repairs). Tesla won't touch the HV system either.

BUT, if you're in the military, there are some exemptions, and for what I've seen, Tesla will make your life easier. The other option that would work is if you're in the US, you got your Tesla very cheap, all or most of its warranty expired anyway, your vehicle is already unsupported (usually this means it was salvage, and usually that's why you got it damn cheap), and you can do the adaptations yourself (which can also solve the problem with LTE). Usually the later means you own an old Model S/X with MCU1, because the MCU2 is quite secure, and you won't be able to do the required configuration changes easily. Then (and only then), it's a lot of work, but doable, and I think worth it. But you MUST live in the US and own the car in the US, otherwise the taxes you'll have to pay when importing the car to the EU will be high enough to make it not worth (if you are a EU citizen relocating to the EU, all the import taxes are waived, providing you owned the car for more than 6 months). So this is a niche case. Anyone that is not in that very specific situation or belongs to the military should consider selling their car and buying something else in the EU. I know that means losing a LOT of money, but there is no other way.

Said that, I don't understand why Tesla is quite against people importing a car they own from other country. It's a hassle anyway, and economically only works if you truly lived in a different country for a while before moving (I mean, the very specific situations I pointed out above). Importing a car from the US while living in the EU is extremely stupid, as you'll pay the same or more as if you bought it directly in the EU and you'll have to deal with all the problems. If Tesla were a bit more open about this, the booming gray market of half-hackers, half-mechanics that make their livings importing Teslas would greatly be reduced.

i dont get this either. should be able to do an OA update for cars to get european and usa maps if necessary.

shipping a car from europe to USA via express can be much cheaper than hireing a car in the usa if you wanna go there for a 1-2months. And vice versa.

Reactions: M0rpH3x
Being reading about this all over the Internet.

1. With a SC adapter one can use the Tesla SC network in EU.
2. There is a store in Czechia, that will switch map area from US to EU, so that the routing engine works. Also will upgrade the SIM to work in EU.
3. If you have free SC, and paid off the cars, it's totally worth trying to ship them there. Drive for free in EU worth?

My question is, are you coming under SOFA status? If not under SOFA, charging will be the least of your issues.

I have had my US Spec 3 here in Germany for almost 2 years, no issues. I use a 3rd party adapter for supercharging and have done several 500+ mile road trips. You can get adapters for the UMC to charge at home and that's enough to get around 15-20% per night. If you are coming under SOFA with the military, then you have to consider the other factors of how much you'd lose if you were to resell and what not. I would have lost too much so I brought mine with me and I am 100% glad I did. I can live without LTE (hot spot all the time) and Nav (ABRP, Google maps on my phone.)
Where did you get your adapter from?

Being reading about this all over the Internet.

1. With a SC adapter one can use the Tesla SC network in EU.
2. There is a store in Czechia, that will switch map area from US to EU, so that the routing engine works. Also will upgrade the SIM to work in EU.
3. If you have free SC, and paid off the cars, it's totally worth trying to ship them there. Drive for free in EU worth?
Whats the name of the store?

Sorry, worded it wrong, I mean outside of home charging I only use Superchargers. Charging at stores is usually impractical as you gain so little charge in the maybe 30 minutes you're in a store for.

I run down to 20% and charge back to 90% at home to avoid too much degradation. :)
Charging at stores usefulness is in all the eyes of the chargee
Some may think it's not worth it
Others may think it's greatest thing ever, getting a free charge while shopping, at dinner or the movies
After all the car is just sitting there doing nothing....while it could be charging
They may choose to go to a location that offers free charging over the place that does not
As an extra bonus those free chargers are usually in prime spots near the entrance or convenient spots

My question is, are you coming under SOFA status? If not under SOFA, charging will be the least of your issues.

I have had my US Spec 3 here in Germany for almost 2 years, no issues. I use a 3rd party adapter for supercharging and have done several 500+ mile road trips. You can get adapters for the UMC to charge at home and that's enough to get around 15-20% per night. If you are coming under SOFA with the military, then you have to consider the other factors of how much you'd lose if you were to resell and what not. I would have lost too much so I brought mine with me and I am 100% glad I did. I can live without LTE (hot spot all the time) and Nav (ABRP, Google maps on my phone.)
Where did you get your 3rd party adapter from to supercharge in Germany?

Which adapters did you need and where did you find them?