Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging an American Tesla in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is, are you coming under SOFA status? If not under SOFA, charging will be the least of your issues.

I have had my US Spec 3 here in Germany for almost 2 years, no issues. I use a 3rd party adapter for supercharging and have done several 500+ mile road trips. You can get adapters for the UMC to charge at home and that's enough to get around 15-20% per night. If you are coming under SOFA with the military, then you have to consider the other factors of how much you'd lose if you were to resell and what not. I would have lost too much so I brought mine with me and I am 100% glad I did. I can live without LTE (hot spot all the time) and Nav (ABRP, Google maps on my phone.)
Yours is one of the posts that gives me little bit of hope. I am moving to Switzerland and it could end up being temp or permanent depending on how the job goes. I maybe able to have my company ship the car or at least pay for some of the shipping expenses. I am looking for shipping companies to get decent quotes, any recommendations

Yours is one of the posts that gives me little bit of hope. I am moving to Switzerland and it could end up being temp or permanent depending on how the job goes. I maybe able to have my company ship the car or at least pay for some of the shipping expenses. I am looking for shipping companies to get decent quotes, any recommendations
Christophe HOCHE – G.M.

Tran Scorp International

ZAC de la Feuchère

14 rue Jean Mermoz – Bât. DC8

77290 Compans – France

Tel : +33.1.4919.8383

Chris is based in Switzerland. I used him to send my Ferrari back and forth to Monaco..

wouldnt you drive your ferrari to monaco? Isnt that the point of having one? xD
From the United States? No. I prefer to skip around Europe to track days.. at about 75.000km now, about half of them on track
1AA6F280-0204-4664-9532-B4482A9D057F.jpeg

D7596BF9-D57C-47D9-AE03-0922B54379C6.jpeg

8DABDD9C-E90E-494C-9F20-2AB64894DC38.jpeg

6A34749F-3CD8-44B4-9894-AEBF08A1E6CD.jpeg

wouldnt you drive your ferrari to monaco? Isnt that the point of having one? xD

I have not used him, yet... but Joey (see below) and his firm ar very experienced with Teslas, and in fact they are the ones contracted by tesla to ship Teslas from Fremont to Rotterdam.

Separately, how do you plan to overcome the warranty issue? I am in the same situation right now and trying to (still) decide between selling here and buying there or taking a risk and shipping the car there.

Erhan

Joseph R. Giranda Jr.

Joseph Giranda
Director of Sales and Marketing
U.S. Direct Line: +1.323.645.4243
EU Direct Line: +34 690 993 515
[email protected]

Thanks guys! I pretty much know the answer but misery needs company :)
I have checked with Tesla dealership in the Netherlands and here among others, noone recommends it.
My biggest gripe is that when I was buying the car, I had specifically asked about this to the salespeople and they led me to believe that it would be OK! Live and learn - should have done my due diligence more thoroughly but the prospect of driving one of these babies was too overwhelming, I guess.
Cheers

Not that I have any personal experience with this and not that Tesla's known for backing up what their associates tell people but, if you purchased FSD at the time, maybe, based on false info from the salespeople, they might transfer that to a new Euro VIN or offer a refund since may be a while for regulators to approve.

This thread reminds me of my experience years ago.....I work for a German company and took a transfer to Heidelberg area about six months after we had purchased a new Accord EX in 1991. Was a fun car at the time, so we decided to take the Accord over, and we purchased a Golf over there as a 2nd car. My company paid for shipping my car over, $500 at the time. We had to replace the headlights to Europe spec as I recall, I think that was all.

Next step was to go to the TUV for inspection. Germans are so funny.....at the time U.S. cars had the middle stop light in the back window, which was fairly new. Germany didn't have this. The inspector is looking over my car, then comes to me and says he can't pass me because there's a third brake light in the back window. I argued with him for a few minutes explaining this is new technology, supposed to help people recognize brake lights faster, all to no avail. Then I opened the trunk, got inside under the package tray, popped out the bulb for that stop light. The TUV guy says, you've passed! Moral of the story.....Germans love rules, and then love to find ways around rules without breaking them! :)

Reactions: tpoltron and Pkmmte
Not that I have any personal experience with this and not that Tesla's known for backing up what their associates tell people but, if you purchased FSD at the time, maybe, based on false info from the salespeople, they might transfer that to a new Euro VIN or offer a refund since may be a while for regulators to approve.
NO FSD unfortunately but I have not given up on this, yet... Thanks for the thought and input, however. Cheers!

I have not used him, yet... but Joey (see below) and his firm ar very experienced with Teslas, and in fact they are the ones contracted by tesla to ship Teslas from Fremont to Rotterdam.

Separately, how do you plan to overcome the warranty issue? I am in the same situation right now and trying to (still) decide between selling here and buying there or taking a risk and shipping the car there.

Erhan

Joseph R. Giranda Jr.

Joseph Giranda
Director of Sales and Marketing
U.S. Direct Line: +1.323.645.4243
EU Direct Line: +34 690 993 515
[email protected]
Thanks for sharing Joey's contact. I have not been able to get clarification from Tesla on the warranty. I will keep pounding on their doors and hopefully someone knows what Tesla can or cannot do.

Thanks for sharing Joey's contact. I have not been able to get clarification from Tesla on the warranty. I will keep pounding on their doors and hopefully someone knows what Tesla can or cannot do.
Warranty will be voided or in other words, if there is a warranty event, you will have to ship the care back to the States or pay out of pocket any expenses you may incur at the Tesla Dealership or 3rd party. No dice, unfortunately. Put up my Model Y for sale already, my 6-year-old is too sad that she won't be able to play games on it anymore. C'est la vie! Feel free to msg me if you have any specific questions.
Cheers/Erhan

Nope, you won’t have any cell service either and would have to use a wifi hotspot all the time. Not sure if the nav works either, and from what I heard Tesla won’t touch your car for repairs. Generally it is a much better deal to sell your car in the states and buy a new one over here.
Yup, I brought my CPO BMW to Germany and BMW Germany would not touch it for warranty repairs. Sucks cause I have turbo rattle for a couple years and had to pay a good deal out of pocket on other things. Not something you want to go through if you can avoid. Nothing worse than maying payments for a warranty mark up and then paying out of pocket for repairs plus 19% VAT taxes on top fo that.

Yup, I brought my CPO BMW to Germany and BMW Germany would not touch it for warranty repairs. Sucks cause I have turbo rattle for a couple years and had to pay a good deal out of pocket on other things. Not something you want to go through if you can avoid. Nothing worse than maying payments for a warranty mark up and then paying out of pocket for repairs plus 19% VAT taxes on top fo that.
Thanks Wes, that's helpful to know based on real-life experience.
I will have to bite the bullet and sell unfortunately :(

My question is, are you coming under SOFA status? If not under SOFA, charging will be the least of your issues.

I have had my US Spec 3 here in Germany for almost 2 years, no issues. I use a 3rd party adapter for supercharging and have done several 500+ mile road trips. You can get adapters for the UMC to charge at home and that's enough to get around 15-20% per night. If you are coming under SOFA with the military, then you have to consider the other factors of how much you'd lose if you were to resell and what not. I would have lost too much so I brought mine with me and I am 100% glad I did. I can live without LTE (hot spot all the time) and Nav (ABRP, Google maps on my phone.)
I have a question ; which adapter did u use to convert a CCS 2 to Tesla connector

Hey there, I am assuming you did a PCS with your Tesla? I have the Y, which I understand isn't in Germany yet. Did you have to remove the tint and change anything about the lighting? Just preparing myself for my move. I actually "trickle charge" mine in my back driveway in DC and it does just fine, so I have to ensure I line up a parking space with a regular plug.