TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharging Concern

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tennisman, Jun 14, 2017.

1. tennisman

tennisman Member

I was at the Cranbury, New Jersey supercharging station on Sunday. My car (a 2017 90D) was down to about 25 miles left. There are 4 charging stations there and 3 were occupied, so I took the last one. After the car charged up to about 100 miles (just needed to ensure I got home with enough to juice to spare) - I unplugged and noticed how hot the entire charging unit was (and no, it wasn't due to the fact that it was 90+ degrees out on Sunday). The unit itself was extremely hot - is this normal??

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

What is the "unit"? Plug and cord? It does get warm, but it should not get HOT. A poor connection as the Plug and charge port wears will cause increased heat.

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

I've had a plug get quite hot when Supercharging a very low battery, in the sun, on a hot day. There's a lot of juice flowing through that port, heat is to be expected.

• Like x 2
  4. David99

David99 Active Member

Yes it is normal when all stalls are in use that the Supercharger gets warm. When you get near the fan of the Supercharger it feels like you are standing next to a giant hair dryer.

5. tennisman

tennisman Member

Thanks everybody for the quick replies - just wanted to make sure that the heat from the plug was "normal"!!

• Like x 1
  6. David99

David99 Active Member

Oh by 'unit' you mean the plug. Yes that one gets pretty warm as well.

7. tpham07

tpham07 Member

ive actually touched a few plugs that if i held it more than 10 seconds im pretty sure i'd scald myself. but with the amount of juice that flows thru its to be expected.

8. DrivingRockies

I've used it to stay warm the last minute or two of a charge at night in Colorado. I assume it was safe...

9. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

If the handle geta super hot it basically mean either there is direct sunlight hitting it on a hot day or the connector needs to be replaced. Also you should be noticed slowed charging. If not then it must be one of those older supercharger.

I suspect tesla will replace those handles that get hot even after the ramp down.

10. theheff

theheff Member

I've encountered super hot handles in both sunny and dark conditions. I've also seen my charge kW get cut in half due to the hot handle regularly, regardless of the age of the charger.

11. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

I was at Manteca SC once and noticed the charger quite hot warm even before I had plugged in. At the time it wasn't particularly busy or warm that day and I checked other chargers that were plugged in and they weren't as warm as the one I used. So it does happen and I believe there was an issue with that particular charger.