Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Concern

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Cranbury, New Jersey supercharging station on Sunday. My car (a 2017 90D) was down to about 25 miles left. There are 4 charging stations there and 3 were occupied, so I took the last one. After the car charged up to about 100 miles (just needed to ensure I got home with enough to juice to spare) - I unplugged and noticed how hot the entire charging unit was (and no, it wasn't due to the fact that it was 90+ degrees out on Sunday). The unit itself was extremely hot - is this normal??

If the handle geta super hot it basically mean either there is direct sunlight hitting it on a hot day or the connector needs to be replaced. Also you should be noticed slowed charging. If not then it must be one of those older supercharger.

I suspect tesla will replace those handles that get hot even after the ramp down.

If the handle geta super hot it basically mean either there is direct sunlight hitting it on a hot day or the connector needs to be replaced. Also you should be noticed slowed charging. If not then it must be one of those older supercharger.

I suspect tesla will replace those handles that get hot even after the ramp down.

I've encountered super hot handles in both sunny and dark conditions. I've also seen my charge kW get cut in half due to the hot handle regularly, regardless of the age of the charger.

I was at Manteca SC once and noticed the charger quite hot warm even before I had plugged in. At the time it wasn't particularly busy or warm that day and I checked other chargers that were plugged in and they weren't as warm as the one I used. So it does happen and I believe there was an issue with that particular charger.