Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Costs

Which will it be?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? Because they have over 300K reservations for what promises to be their future best-seller, with - as you say - first deliveries less than a year away. I am sure many of those 300K reservation holders are very eager to know whether those 400 kWh per year of free SC usage applies to them also.

I'd rather ask the other way around "why would Tesla make absolutely no mention of the Model 3, the most talked about BEV currently on the horizon?"
They are also trying to get as many people into an S or an X as they can. So I wouldn't expect them mention the 3 either. If they don't mention it then they leave it open for people to make assumptions that might induce them to get an S or X instead of waiting.

They are also trying to get as many people into an S or an X as they can. So I wouldn't expect them mention the 3 either. If they don't mention it then they leave it open for people to make assumptions that might induce them to get an S or X instead of waiting.

Maybe in the US, but over here, the Model S and X are high end luxury priced vehicles, especially the X. People in the market for a Model 3 won't consider an S or X an alternative, not at twice the price. Plus, they are far too oversized for most people here. Loads of people drive a 3-series, an A4, a C-class, a Passat etc., all of which are comparable in size to the Model 3. The market share of S-class et al., the cars comparable to a Model S or X in size, is miniscule over here. That's exactly why so many BEV hopefuls over here are so enthused about Model 3, finally a well-proportioned BEV that is financially within reach of many.

Reactions: GSP and Matt125
I think Tesla wants to wait until all their ducks (or at least most of them) are in a row as it concerns the Model III. They might want to wait to see how Supercharger openings, permits and construction will look like when they make their second announcement.

It would be precipitate to say one thing or another about Supercharging as it applies to the Model III. We still do not know when the first car will roll off the assembly line.

There are 3.785L per gallon, so your $2.50 USD gallon of diesel would be $0.66 USD per liter (every gas station i pass on a regular basis has diesel near or over $3.00)

a thanks. 22 usdcents did seem indeed very low. So it's about half the price of Diesel in Germany which means that anything above a price of 12-14 eurocents/kwh still means diesel is cheaper per distance driven in america...

Sooner or later the company will need to make a profit. However, if they more of make a profit overall by selling more cars because they aren't pricing the service centers and superchargers to make a profit at them, I doubt the shareholders will be disappointed with the additional money.

I think one of Teslas principles was to not make money of service and not make money of superchargers. So the share holders have to either get 51% of the shares together and change the company policy or they have to live with this. I guess the idea is that rather than marketing a car they are marketing almost a lifestyle product which people are willing to pay a premium for. Remember a lot of the smaller sedans/compact cars actually make no or very little money for car manufacturers without significant extras but exist only to reduce fleet emitions. The money then tends to get recouperated elsewhere, i.e. bigger cars or service.

If Tesla sells you a block of Supercharging kWh which can be consumed in any state, which utility commission do they have to report to?

They aren't selling power by the kWh in any specific location, but they are in all of them. I'm not sure how the law would work out in that case - does it make them a utility or not?

It took years and gobs of dollars, but Solar City has wrangled state by state to be commissioned to buy, sell, trade excess and can either replicate it for Tesla, or simply move the SC operation underneath the Solar City umbrella and it's done. Then the SC network is unleashed to do whatever, as well as benefit from solar tech as part of its go forward power gen plan.

Maybe in the US, but over here, the Model S and X are high end luxury priced vehicles, especially the X. People in the market for a Model 3 won't consider an S or X an alternative, not at twice the price. Plus, they are far too oversized for most people here. Loads of people drive a 3-series, an A4, a C-class, a Passat etc., all of which are comparable in size to the Model 3. The market share of S-class et al., the cars comparable to a Model S or X in size, is miniscule over here. That's exactly why so many BEV hopefuls over here are so enthused about Model 3, finally a well-proportioned BEV that is financially within reach of many.
Nope, sounds about the same as here. I have an X for the family car, and love it, but know I spent way more money on it than I should for a car. Even if I could afford an S for my commuter car, I wouldn't. It's too big, and too expensive. I want a 3.

Just to clarify what meant:
The smallest (75D) naked and barebones Model X (over here) starts at 102.500 Euro, plus destination and registration fee.
The smallest (60 non-D) naked and barebones Model S (over here) starts at 69.019 Euro, plus destination and registration fee.
To me that is over 33K Euro (or about a third) cheaper than the Model X.
Plus, the Model X is considerably larger than the Model S in every dimension, yet you say the Model S is too big, even though you drive an X.
I just don't get it.

Oh you mean he meant a Model S in addition to a Model X? That makes more sense. I thought he meant he had had the choice between an S and an X and chose the latter because it was smaller and cheaper. That didn't make sense to me. I must have misread/misunderstood his post. Mybad.

Oh you mean he meant a Model S in addition to a Model X? That makes more sense. I thought he meant he had had the choice between an S and an X and chose the latter because it was smaller and cheaper. That didn't make sense to me. I must have misread/misunderstood his post. Mybad.

Yup, sorry for the confusion. The X is the family car (with 4 kids) that I happen to drive a lot. Currently the Leaf is my personal commuter car, that will be replaced by a 3.

Straight from the horse's mouth... pricing details.

Supercharging

Below are additional program details which apply to Model S and X ordered after January 15, 2017.

• 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits are awarded annually.
  • For usage above the complimentary annual credits provided, a small fee applies.
  • In North America, pricing is fixed within each state or province. Internationally, pricing is fixed within each country. All prices include taxes and fees.
  • Where possible, owners are billed per kWh (kilowatt-hour), which is the most fair and simple method. In other areas, we bill for the service per minute.
  • When billing per minute, there are two tiers to account for changes in charging speeds, called “tier 1” and “tier 2”.
    • Tier 1 applies while cars are charging at or below 60 kW and tier 2 applies while cars are charging above 60 kW. Tier 1 is half the cost of tier 2.
    • Tier 1 also applies anytime your vehicle is sharing Supercharger power with another car.
  • Supercharger pricing information may be viewed on the 17” touchscreen and is summarized below.

Some will be quick to point out that this pricing scheme only explicitly mentions "Model S and X" and not Model 3. However, it seems reasonable to assume (unless/until Tesla states otherwise) that the same pricing will apply to the Model 3 as well.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Saghost
Straight from the horse's mouth... pricing details.

Supercharging

Some will be quick to point out that this pricing scheme only explicitly mentions "Model S and X" and not Model 3. However, it seems reasonable to assume (unless/until Tesla states otherwise) that the same pricing will apply to the Model 3 as well.
It onky makes sense to announce prices for charging the products that currently exist. By the time the Model 3 comes out the prices may change anyway.

Reactions: Bokonon
Dang, that's cheap. At least in my home state, it's very much on par with residential rates. We range from $0.08-0.12/kWh in winter, and $0.09-0.14/kWh in summer depending on tier (the more you use, the higher tier you're in). Tesla's rate here is $0.13/kWh. So I think that definitely answers it. They're not going to be making a profit.

Dang, that's cheap. At least in my home state, it's very much on par with residential rates. We range from $0.08-0.12/kWh in winter, and $0.09-0.14/kWh in summer depending on tier (the more you use, the higher tier you're in). Tesla's rate here is $0.13/kWh. So I think that definitely answers it. They're not going to be making a profit.

At a glance, in the states where Tesla can charge by the kWh, their rate seems awfully close to the average residential rate over the past year, plus maybe 1-2 cents.

Electricity Prices and Rates (Updated Jan 2017) – Electric Choice

I don't know enough about how commercial rates and demand charges work to say for sure, but my guess would be that, by pricing supercharging just above local residential rates, Tesla wants to achieves the following:

1. Earn enough on the spread between the commercial and residential rates to cover most of the upkeep of the facility (so it's neither a profit center nor a significant cost center)

2. Make "local supercharging" much less appealing for those with residential charging capability (e.g. home owners), but not prohibitively expensive for those who don't (e.g. apartment-complex dwellers)

All said, a smart and fair solution, if you ask me.

One thing I'm curious about: as more and more superchargers get hooked up to solar arrays, will the addition of free sun-power have any effect on Tesla's rates?

Reactions: Falkirk
At a glance, in the states where Tesla can charge by the kWh, their rate seems awfully close to the average residential rate over the past year, plus maybe 1-2 cents.

Electricity Prices and Rates (Updated Jan 2017) – Electric Choice

I don't know enough about how commercial rates and demand charges work to say for sure, but my guess would be that, by pricing supercharging just above local residential rates, Tesla wants to achieves the following:

1. Earn enough on the spread between the commercial and residential rates to cover most of the upkeep of the facility (so it's neither a profit center nor a significant cost center)

2. Make "local supercharging" much less appealing for those with residential charging capability (e.g. home owners), but not prohibitively expensive for those who don't (e.g. apartment-complex dwellers)

All said, a smart and fair solution, if you ask me.

One thing I'm curious about: as more and more superchargers get hooked up to solar arrays, will the addition of free sun-power have any effect on Tesla's rates?

I agree with you 100%. Tesla's spread on negotiated power costs v. retail should let it make a profit and stay marginally more expensive that residential rates to keep someone from just charging there vs at home.

I am worried in ten years about how Tesla will really start to benefit from higher electricity costs (solar city) and that may change their obligation to shareholders to make a profit.

I just played with their calculations and supercharge.info.....the semi-annual trek to the inlaws and back will cost me approximately $18 in electricity via superchargers, assuming I leave my house topped off, and leave my in-laws topped off.

For perspective, my wife's Subaru that gets 36mpg highway costs $30 to fill up, and the trip usually requires 2 fill-ups, and a half-tank top-off.

Soooooooo.... $18 < $75

I'm not going to complain about the loss of "free Supercharging for life" because A: I never had it and B: what I AM getting is still a cost savings of ~76%. :D

Now if we could only convince various jurisdictions to do something about the tolls..... :rolleyes:

Reactions: ggies07