Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging in range mode, slow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from a long road trip from Salt Lake City back to CA along I80. With the temps in the mid 60's I put the car in range mode just to see if there was any difference in range, or how the car drove, I did not notice any. I was noticing that the supercharge speeds were low and thought it was odd that it was tapering fast and i was only getting 32kwh after the battery was at 45%, no fans were on like i usually hear when charging from low battery. After getting lunch at Lovelock, NV and the car had been charging for 40 minutes it was only at 60% I started doing a little investigation I saw that the car was still in range mode, I switched to to off and the fans then came off and the charge rate slowly started to climb. Has anyone else seen this? Is this normal, and if it is then make sure you switch range mode off when you come to a SpC. SW at 7.1 (2.12.126)

Ok, I don't think it is a heating issue, it seemed like a cooling issue. That does not seem to be good logic to me, when plugged into a SpC you would think that the car would change as fast as possible, also it would be nice for Tesla to let people know about it also.

Supercharging is temperature dependent, but if the ambient temperature is around 60 and you have been driving before, there is no limitation. It should charge at full speed. Range mode should not make any difference in these conditions. Range mode limits cabin heating and AC cooling and limits battery pack heating. But none of these things affect Supercharging. Unless there is a software bug.

That is what I thought, but it make a difference for sure, switched it off and the fans then immediately came on and it went form 32kwh to 60kwh. I was the only one there so it was not a pairing issue. I talk with the service guys tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. Thinking it is a software issue, but if not easily corrected by just not using range mode.

Supercharging is temperature dependent, but if the ambient temperature is around 60 and you have been driving before, there is no limitation. It should charge at full speed. Range mode should not make any difference in these conditions. Range mode limits cabin heating and AC cooling and limits battery pack heating. But none of these things affect Supercharging. Unless there is a software bug.

That is what I thought, but it make a difference for sure, switched it off and the fans then immediately came on and it went form 32kwh to 60kwh. I was the only one there so it was not a pairing issue. I talk with the service guys tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. Thinking it is a software issue, but if not easily corrected by just not using range mode.

Sounds like a bug. The range mode option is pretty terrible, IMHO. Cold weather people have been struggling with it for quite a while. i.e. won't heat battery while on shore power, won't heat cabin well while on shore power. This does not exactly contribute to "range".

• Funny
Reactions: SMSMD
Just got back from a long road trip from Salt Lake City back to CA along I80. With the temps in the mid 60's I put the car in range mode just to see if there was any difference in range, or how the car drove, I did not notice any. I was noticing that the supercharge speeds were low and thought it was odd that it was tapering fast and i was only getting 32kwh after the battery was at 45%, no fans were on like i usually hear when charging from low battery. After getting lunch at Lovelock, NV and the car had been charging for 40 minutes it was only at 60% I started doing a little investigation I saw that the car was still in range mode, I switched to to off and the fans then came off and the charge rate slowly started to climb. Has anyone else seen this? Is this normal, and if it is then make sure you switch range mode off when you come to a SpC. SW at 7.1 (2.12.126)

the following x-post (Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing - Page 45) was on p85d, with range mode on, around 60F. As you can see the SpC session was pretty good.

hope this helps. Cheers, Mike