Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Survey: How and why the nag (AP V7.1) happens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Lots of people saying there is a timed nag, lots of people saying they don't have a timed nag. I want to see if we can figure out exactly how/why/where the nag works.

My idea here, but decided it needs it's own thread: Firmware 7.1 - Page 77

Please answer the following questions
1. Car model
2. Have you experienced a timed nag?
3. If #2 is yes, at what timed increment?
4. What was the speed limit on the road?
5. Was it a divided highway?
6. How fast did you have AP set to?
7. What state did you travel in?

Lots of people saying there is a timed nag, lots of people saying they don't have a timed nag. I want to see if we can figure out exactly how/why/where the nag works.

1. Car model

To keep this thread focused, I'd like to suggest that if you are answering yes to question 2 above, but can't provide an exact response for Max's question 3 above (the timed increment) that you hold off on posting any response until you can.

To keep this thread focused, I'd like to suggest that if you are answering yes to question 2 above, but can't provide an exact response for Max's question 3 above (the timed increment) that you hold off on posting any response until you can.

Agreed, and thank you.

Also, I'll go now (didn't want my answer to blend with the OP)
1. 70D
2. Yes
3. 3minutes and 1 minute
4. 55mph and 45mph, respectively
5. Yes and no, respectively
6. 55mph and 50mph, respectively
7. Both in VA

1. Car model
1. P85D
2. Yes
3. typically, 5 minutes
4. typically, 70mph
5. yes (have not hdd AP conected long enough for timed nags on non-divided roads)
6. varie by typically, 75 mph
7. FL, GA, AL, LA, MS

1. Car model
I suggest:
8. Did you have at least one hand on the wheel at the time?

From what I've seen, the system is based on if it can detect a hand on the wheel.

In my testing it was pretty close to 5 minutes if I didn't have a hand on the wheel, never if I kept a hand on the wheel.

I suggest:

The nag is to interact with the steering wheel. It's not going to ask you to hold the wheel if it senses that you are already holding the wheel. This isn't a "Place both hands on the steering wheel" nag. One hand is enough, so I don't really understand the comments above.

The first is obvious--it won't nag if you have a hand on the wheel.

The second would be an unnecessary and not useful addition.

I suggest:

I'm not sure how that would help?

If you have your hands on the wheel, you wont get a nag OR you wont get a repeatable timed nag. So this is aimed at people who don't have their hands on the wheel

You might want to create a google spreadsheet or google form for these answers, as compiling this data later is going to be a real pain if it's just in random forum posts. If you need help, just let me know. ;)

That's a good idea, so far there have been 4 responses in this thread, so I've been keeping track in the back of my head, if this thread gets traction, I'll create a google doc with all the info in this thread and have future users update it themselves.

This makes sense. I thought we were hearing people say they got the nag even though they already doing it and they had to jiggle the wheel to get rid of it. If that's not the case this is perfectly reasonable because if your doing what Tesla has always said you should be doing you won't get the alert.

1. Car model

P85

No. Traveled 8 mins, 34 seconds today without touching any controls and without a nag.

65 mph

Yes

70 mph

VA

Last edited:
This makes sense. I thought we were hearing people say they got the nag even though they already doing it and they had to jiggle the wheel to get rid of it. If that's not the case this is perfectly reasonable because if your doing what Tesla has always said you should be doing you won't get the alert.
Yes, I remember this as well and am curious to know if more torque is now required? Because I normally keep just a thumb and finger on the wheel with one hand while I rest my elbow on the cupholder...uh, I mean armrest.:tongue:

1. Car model

1. 85D, v 7.1 (2.9.154)
2. No, drove ~ 9 minutes today without hands on wheel, no nag.
3. N/A
4. 65 MPH
5. Yes
6. Set at 70 MPH, this was in stop and go traffic so car was moving between 0 and 30 MPH.
7. TX
8. No, hand resting next to the wheel, but not on the wheel.

After traffic cleared and vehicle sped up, I received two nags within about 7 minutes, at irregular intervals. Seemed to be associated with either a curve or with lighter lane markings.

1. Car model
90D
No
50 MPH
Yes
50 MPH
CA

Considering that software updates are not identical, Tesla can decide to volunteer you to be the blind beta tester for time nag, mystery solved.:tongue: And each reported time nag or no time nag are accurate.

I've actually thought this might be the case. It's a possible theory, at least.

Another idea is that it has to do with:

a) What is the delta between your set speed and the speed limit?
b) How much curvature is there in the roadway?
c) How well is the camera seeing the lines? (Contrast)
d) How wide is the lane?

Lots of possible variables that could be affecting this. Today was the first time I actually experienced a nag right around 3 minutes. (3 minutes, 4 seconds to be exact). But I also drove a different stretch over 6 minutes without a nag too.

Too many question marks to come to a conclusion.

Considering that software updates are not identical, Tesla can decide to volunteer you to be the blind beta tester for time nag, mystery solved.:tongue: And each reported time nag or no time nag are accurate.

Yeah, Andrew posted that in the Firmware 7.1, and I think it's the best theory so far.

Slight correction: people that don't place their hands on the wheel in a way the AP can detect them.

:thumbup: