TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Suspension Failure

Discussion in 'Australia' started by eclectricdave, Jan 8, 2020.

1. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

My left front suspension failed. I have less than a month warranty. The camber arm or fore arm broke at the inside end. There are are plenty of references on the US part of the forum. Mine is a 2015 85D. It is not driveable & has been taken away on a flatbed. I have now lost all confidence in Teslas & regret my purchase. I have never had a suspension fault in any vehicle Ive owned before & this includes a 911 Porsche. Ive been to Cooketown & back to Melbourne. What if this fault had occurred back of Townsville? Fix with fencing wire? Tesla needs to do a recall & address this problem.

2. doggy1

doggy1 Member

Great that it did not happen in the back country and also that you are still under warranty. I can imagine breaking in the outback AND out of warranty would be very unpleasant.
    I hope the repairs go well and that hopefully the replacement parts are not susceptible to the same issue.
    Regds,
    Dave

3. PJF000

PJF000 Member

Did you have any warning before it failed? eg: noises, clicking sounds etc?

4. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

Don't be stupid I've had a BMW, Fiat, & Alfa all replaced with new vehicles or a complete refund because of major issues. We don't live in a perfect world. If Tesla replaced the part with no debate then I don't see what the problem is.

• Like x 4
  5. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

Ive yet to see the Judgement of Solomon. Ive never once had the car in for service. So you never no which way the cookie crumbles. Yes PJF there was a loud bang when I was backing out of a parking spot. Shook the whole front bonnet and the nose cone nearly came out & had to be pushed back in. My concern is that the front suspension is not fit for purpose.at least not in my model year Apparently the 3 has a stronger suspension

6. paulp

paulp Active Member

Mechanical things break because they are made by humans. Lucky you wernt driving at speed at the time, and hopefully tesla deal with it quickly for you.

7. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

I'm surprised the Tesla technicians didn't see any warning signs when you took it in for a thorough check before your long outback trip.

8. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Moderators note:
    Please do not use politics to attempt to prove a point or put down other users or groups of users.
    Also please do not respond to Political jibe post, know instead that the moderator will deal with them.
    3 comments now deleted.

• Like x 7
  9. meloccom

I bring the car in yearly, specifically so that Tesla can inspect the car and ensure it’s roadworthy
    All cars need suspension components regularly replaced, Tesla’s are no different in this area.
    Mine will go into Alexandria on the 20th for just this reason.

• Like x 1
  10. mike_j

mike_j Member

There's bad luck and there's bad design. Just search this forum re the steering control arm. Plenty of issues with it. Just replaced mine.

This, the MCU & the door handles should all have been replaced (properly) by Tesla under warranty as defective in design.

If third parties can be selling better parts (MCU repair & Door handle parts) then Tesla should resolve their issues.

11. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

Ive got my car back less $650. tesla tech says you have hit something cant happen any other way. I may take action against them. The arm is elongated at one end & has a missing piece. Tesla probably think owners will not act for sums that small. Like a lot of car companies you deal thru a trained customer relations person you don't get to argue with the tech. The suspension is a lot quieter fault may been present for some time Ill send pic tomorrow.

• Informative x 1
  12. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

sorry to hear about your trouble.
    'hope Tesla does the right thing if it's their fault.
    EDIT: people are making comments about preventative maintenance for this part. Are there examples of Tesla replacing the arm prophylactically?

13. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

is a yearly inspection covered by warranty?

14. Hovean

Hovean Member

Bonus points for the use of the word 'prophylactically'!

15. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

Watch your language, buddy
    If there is a serious problem, approach it seriously.

16. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

“Fell 2 Bits” sounds like a total tool...

17. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Active Member

Do you own a Tesla?

I own three, including one that is an early model, and never had any issues. On top of that I have found Tesla are overall proactive to fix issues and more than happy to accommodate picky and demanding customers (like me).

You’re obviously a troll, go back under your bridge....off you go now...

• Like x 2
  18. meloccom

The user in question joined today to spread conspiracy theories about Tesla and TMC.
    I have pressed the Spam button and he is gone.
    Now I have to clean up.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  19. meloccom

No, I have paid to service every vehicle I own, a Tesla is no different.

• Like x 1
  20. Peterbeans

Peterbeans Member

I have a 75D S, October 2017 build date. It was in Richmond service last November to get replacement modified front struts to cure the low speed rattle. The service advisor rang to say it needed new tyres so I gave the go ahead. When I got back to pick the car up, they said that they had difficulty getting the alignment correct and asked if it had hit something, I said no. The advisor then said it needed new front camber arms which would be done under warranty.

This was done mid December and no further comment was made.

• Informative x 1