Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his point was the Ranger would be pressed for time given the location (not Tesla's facility). It is not necessarily reasonable to assume the Ranger should give a complementary full vehicle inspection for every call that happens.

So the context (what type of issue was the Ranger addressing) is very important.

If I recall correctly the OP said the Ranger was trying to figure out why the car wouldn't stay in alignment. The worn ball joints was probably a contributing factor if not the cause.

From the pictures of how bad those ball joints were, I would expect the Ranger to at least note the problem if he was working in the same area. If the Ranger was in that part of the car and didn't note the ball joint corrosion, that would be the only thing where Tesla has anything to answer for in this situation.

Many people here have reported they had cars that needed major suspension work at or around the same mileage as the OP's car. I have never had a car that needed suspension work at that mileage, but it isn't unheard of. We now know that it's pretty rare with Tesla's based on all that has come out recently.

Some cars are going to have abnormal wear for one reason or another. The wear can be due to common driving conditions, driver's habits, environment, or a manufacturing defect. If the car has an engineering defect, a lot of cars have problems. Tesla has fixed a lot of engineering defects over the life of the Model S, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.

If I recall correctly the OP said the Ranger was trying to figure out why the car wouldn't stay in alignment. The worn ball joints was probably a contributing factor if not the cause.

From the pictures of how bad those ball joints were, I would expect the Ranger to at least note the problem if he was working in the same area. If the Ranger was in that part of the car and didn't note the ball joint corrosion, that would be the only thing where Tesla has anything to answer for in this situation.

Many people here have reported they had cars that needed major suspension work at or around the same mileage as the OP's car. I have never had a car that needed suspension work at that mileage, but it isn't unheard of. We now know that it's pretty rare with Tesla's based on all that has come out recently.

Some cars are going to have abnormal wear for one reason or another. The wear can be due to common driving conditions, driver's habits, environment, or a manufacturing defect. If the car has an engineering defect, a lot of cars have problems. Tesla has fixed a lot of engineering defects over the life of the Model S, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.

Suspension work is not that uncommon on cars with the suspension designed to maximize handling, rather than comfort. I had suspension bushings replaced on the car I drove before MS became my daily driver - Infiniti G35, under warranty, at around 30K miles as far as I remember.

If I recall correctly the OP said the Ranger was trying to figure out why the car wouldn't stay in alignment.

From OP:

The fact is I had my car in for service two weeks before the ball joint failed because of excessive tire wear. The service center aligned the front and read end.

The car was serviced at the Ross Park Mall sears service center just three weeks before the incident,

These are the only two where I believe he mentioned anything about the servicing. Despite the fact that he didn't take it to the service center (perhaps he didn't mean to imply "Tesla SC"), and he supplied two different time frames, nothing is mentioned other than the car was aligned because OP was seeing excessive tire wear. How much figuring out the Ranger was asked to do is a missing piece of the puzzle.

NHTSA Investigation was never opened, so there will be no action of closing it.

For your edification:

Ok, then I will correct what I said to accommodate your pedantic comment (in italics)

"Maybe people can, you know, actually wait for the results of the work during the screening process to determine whether or not an investigation should be opened and if an investigation is opened, wait until the analysis, investigation and management phases of the process have been completed, or in the event an investigation is not opened due to the results of the screening process, wait for that determination to be made before jumping to conclusions either way."

There, happy now? Satisfy your pedantic comment or did I miss something from your edification?

The point is that they are working on understanding this issue, which is not how people on this thread interpreted the Friday tweets and blog - which was "case closed".

Now before you go double pedantic on me, I am NOT saying an official case was opened - I don't know what the pedantic definition of opening a case vs. opening an investigation, I am using "case closed" as an expression meaning that there is no additional work being done on the issue.

According to the NHTSA spokesman in the HybridCars.com article, the preliminary screening process is continuing and has not completed yet.

Careful!
Pedantically speaking, a screening process is NOT an investigation. An investigation only happens after the screening process. There is no investigation done during the screening process - they just collect data, look at data, analysis data and come to a conclusion about whether or not to open an "investigation"

Except investigation was never opened because NHTSA preliminary screening determined that there is no need for it. Nice try, but this well is dry - time to move on.

It is so cute that you think the screening process is over.

You may want to actually read the article and apply some critical thinking (do you really think a screening conducted by a government agency would happen so quickly?) rather than depend on blogs and PR statements.

According to the NHTSA spokesman in the HybridCars.com article, the preliminary screening process is continuing and has not completed yet.

Sure, preliminary screening is ongoing process, as new information can come at any time, especially since NHTSA is seeking additional information from the owners.

Here is the complete quote from the NHTSA:

“NHTSA’s review of the Tesla Model S suspension is a routine data collection. Tesla has fully cooperated with our requests for information, and NHTSA’s examination of the data is underway,” said Bryan Thomas, Communications Director, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “To date, NHTSA has not identified any safety issue with Tesla’s suspensions. NHTSA has also confirmed that Tesla has clarified the language in its Goodwill Agreements in a satisfactory way, resolving the issue.”

Barring additional information indicating safety concern, there will be no investigation opened. Otherwise you would never hear from a government organization spokesman that "to date, NHTSA has not identified any safety issue with Tesla's suspension". They would just state that "examination of data is underway".

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
It is so cute that you think the screening process is over.

You may want to actually read the article and apply some critical thinking (do you really think a screening conducted by a government agency would happen so quickly?) rather than depend on blogs and PR statements.

I do not think that screening is over - it is ongoing as new data which NHTSA requested from owners can come at any time.
What I am saying is that NHTSA, based on information currently at their disposal, do not see a need for an investigation.

You can read the complaints yourself:

2013 TESLA MODEL S | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

2014 TESLA MODEL S | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

The instructions on the NHTSA website refers to "your vehicle" for filling out the forms to make a complaint. The instructions also indicate they want people to report on their own car because they want details about the accident that someone else reporting probably wouldn't know. It's obvious from reading many of those reports that people were reporting on cars they found on the internet.

All anyone can determine from an internet photo is the car lost a wheel in an accident. It can't be determined that the loss of the wheel was the cause of the accident or was a result. From reading some of the suspension complaints, it looks pretty clear that the person filing the complaint was not the owner and I doubt the person filing the complaint ever saw the car in real life.

The 2013 complaints have a slew of suspension complaints filed in the last month. Most before this became a news item. From the phrasing, it looks like the same person wrote at least some of them. I only saw three suspension issues which appeared to be filed by the owner. One complaint referenced this thread!

Definitions of "fraudulent" can vary from person to person, but any safety complaint filed based on a picture on a website is automatically suspect in my book.

Here's an example of one of Keef's reports. This is just silly, he thrawls the Web for salvage cars and send reports to the NHTSA saying basically "look as this car which has been in a crash and the wheels are torn off, but in my opinion this is probably due to the suspension failing this causing the wheels to fall off and the car crashing.". Laughable at best buy deeply concerning when you see how much trouble this man is able to stir up. If Teslas were crashing left and right due to sudden suspension failures we definitely wouldn't need a mentally ill person from Australia giving second hand reports of this to the NHTSA. I'm quite confident the owners themselves would be all over it already.

image.jpeg

We don't know it's Keef. It could be someone who has remained anonymous. If it is an attempt to manipulate the stock price, the SEC should investigate. I'm sure the NHTSA has records of IP addresses. If all those were sent from the same IP address (or from the same block, most residential IP addresses change every few days, but they remain in the same block of addresses) then that is an indication someone might be trying to manipulate the stock price.

Unfortunately whoever did this will probably get away without any sanctions. The SEC, like most regulatory agencies, is overworked and they usually aren't interested in something this small scale.

We don't know it's Keef. It could be someone who has remained anonymous. If it is an attempt to manipulate the stock price, the SEC should investigate. I'm sure the NHTSA has records of IP addresses. If all those were sent from the same IP address (or from the same block, most residential IP addresses change every few days, but they remain in the same block of addresses) then that is an indication someone might be trying to manipulate the stock price.

Unfortunately whoever did this will probably get away without any sanctions. The SEC, like most regulatory agencies, is overworked and they usually aren't interested in something this small scale.

Believe you me, it's him alright. Or maybe he's got himself some deciples now? But it is Keef, from the phrasing to the all-caps and last but not least the reference to a salvage auction Web page.

IMO it's way beyond time to quit giving these guys the benefit of the doubt.

Believe you me, it's him alright. Or maybe he's got himself some deciples now? But it is Keef, from the phrasing to the all-caps and last but not least the reference to a salvage auction Web page.

IMO it's way beyond time to quit giving these guys the benefit of the doubt.

Not to go pedantic on you (too), but your avatar needs fixing, 'cause after tripling the size of the GF, the party is technically hecto-gigaparty, or, if you prefer, fractional teraparty :)

• Funny
Reactions: TaoJones and Johan
We don't know it's Keef.

Yes we do, we've known it all along, since he's been doing this for quite a while, and some of us have been tracking it the whole time. Plus he's admitted it. Do not give him the benefit of doubt, since there is no doubt. And don't forget, this is the same individual claiming SpaceX is faking landings.

One other point worth mentioning is that Keef's complaints to the NHTSA about other people's wrecked vehicles supposedly having suspension problems go back to at least mid-2015 -- maybe earlier. You can spot his trademarked style in earlier complaints on the NHTSA website. Presumably if the NHTSA thought there was an issue we would have heard by now.

Pretty sad that anti-Tesla forces have latched onto unsubstantiated complaints from a thoroughly unreliable source. Seems a little desperate to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.